• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

That's strange. Have they ever recycled content like that before? I don't recall anything.

I think there was another QL or Unfinished which was just a UPF segment. Forget which game it was. Not the first time but people noticed it more with the lack of content this week.

Mupod

I'd definitely watch a Hitman Danny-cumentary. I don't know if it's at all realistic for him to try and do one on The Last Guardian or FFXV. 2016 is a year of games with weird histories.

I really feel like the podcasts should start coming out before christmas/what have you because so many people travel during that time. would be nice to have something to listen to.

yeah, I actually started listening to the Bombcast/Beastcast because of the 5 hour drive to my parents' place a few times a year. Eventually I moved and just listened to them during my regular commute. But I could put a real dent in the GOTY stuff if I could listen to it during that drive.

Wow, I didn't think they would actually do that. Smart move when people are already complaining that the amount of content coming out is a third of what it was last year.

really though, the problem here is with UPF more than anything

they're totally in the right for wanting to have pre-release coverage of a game (that they received by request) free for everyone, but that kind of stuff really shouldn't be on UPF at that point

the UPF clip of Steep should be free, too

also if you were wondering where Myggen's been he's doing damage control in the comments

Meguro

Banned
I'm more annoyed at the answer Jeff gave to that question.
I'm starting to think he actually believes content on the site isn't a problem?
Which would be kinda bad.

derFeef

I don't see anything wrong with that. They let everyone get a taste of a premium feature (that is somehow hated, but I still do like it) plus it saved them a recording.

they're totally in the right for wanting to have pre-release coverage of a game (that they received by request) free for everyone, but that kind of stuff really shouldn't be on UPF at that point

also if you were wondering where Myggen's been he's doing damage control in the comments

Correct

But don't worry anyway, everyone knows this is what being a premium member is really like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmCmuOUDEC8

kingocfs

Why shouldn't it be on UPF? I have no idea what you're complaining about.

It's incerdibly sad, but I still enjoyed it for what it is. How far are you into it?
And are you also thinking about Alan Wake while playing?

I have no idea, the story is so nonsensical and there aren't any meaningful plot points to mark progress. I think I just watched the second (terrible) TV episode. The first one never played, too, so I didn't even realize something was wrong except that there seemed to suddenly be a huge gap in the story.

I try not to think about Alan Wake because I find myself bawling when I do.

Worse than Alan Wake? I find that hard to believe.

Hey listen you I'll knock your block off

imBask

Banned
Covering a game exclusively through UPF is lousy for people who don't have premium subscriptions, and excising those UPF segments as free clips is lousy for people who do.

idk man

like let's say they were doing video reviews and the review for a huge awaited game was premium, then yeah i'd agree 100%, but to me the type of "coverage" Steep and Nidhogg got is fine as premium content

I don't see anything wrong with that. They let everyone get a taste of a premium feature (that is somehow hated, but I still do like it) plus it saved them a recording.

Oh yes it saved them a recording in their incredibly busy schedules so obviously it's fine for them to release paid content for free while they continue to barely post anything for premium members.

It's weird to see people play the entitlement card when there's a paid subscription service. Yes I would like to get content I paid for, that's the whole reason I bought the fucking sub in the first place.

derFeef

Oh yes it saved them a recording in their incredibly busy schedules so obviously it's fine for them to release paid content for free while they continue to barely post anything for premium members.

It's weird to see people play the entitlement card when there's a paid subscription service. Yes I would like to get content I paid for, that's the whole reason I bought the fucking sub in the first place.

I am not playing the entitlement card at all. Would it make a big difference if it would be another, new, 20 minutes of Nidhogg 2? Wouldn't people complain because of that as well? Like "We already saw that on UPF, maybe record some new stuff!" ?

I am not playing the entitlement card at all. Would it make a big difference if it would be another, new, 20 minutes of Nidhogg 2? Wouldn't people complain because of that as well? Like "We already saw that on UPF, maybe record some new stuff!" ?

No. They record quick looks with new footage of stuff played on UPF all the time and people are fine with it.

Though they couldn't record a new video with Vinny so I kind of understand why they did this here.

It's less shitty of them to do that than to yank it off of UPF.

Like Piston said though, the problem is that UPF shouldn't just be a means to record regular content that will be meted out piecemeal.

kingocfs

because usually half of each UPF is just playing games that they QL the following week

I don't think that's true at all.

Covering a game exclusively through UPF is lousy for people who don't have premium subscriptions, and excising those UPF segments as free clips is lousy for people who do.

But UPF is an exclusive video for subs, that's the point of having a sub for a website about video games. Are you this upset about not getting to see Space Truckers? (you should be)

And I'm not seeing the problem with showing a clip of said game to others who may not be able to subscribe.

I understand the issue, I just think that in this particular case it was not really a problem.

If they were producing other content I would agree. As is the case though there has been a real, measured drop in content and we're about to go into 2 weeks where no content is produced.

minty_ice

Banned
a more accurate response to minty's question

JhFqQPR.png

Shhh I'm supposed to be anonymous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom