• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

robotrock

Banned
Yup, but I don't think minimalist is necessarily Hugo's style, he just knew that would work for Doom. What he seems to be very good at is making sure that style is poured into every inch of the game.

Definitely. That said, I also thought the Wolfenstein guys were good about getting their style across the whole game.

Been over this, Jeff directly addressed what Alex and Vinny said they liked about the story and wanted to see more of, the only way they could while in deliberations, and he wasn't wrong as those two things end up getting pushed aside. It was never getting on the top 10 list anyway because they hadn't finished it, Jeff just sped that conclusion up.

But they liked it. What people say or think they want from a story versus what they actually want can turn out to be different things, otherwise everyone would just write their own story. It's still reductive and silly and shitty and Jeff.

The Last Guardian is my GOTY currently as of sitting on it for about 6 days now, but ask me again in two weeks

I don't blame you, it's a magical game so far. The kind you don't see often, everybody talks about "THAT MOMENT" in Titanfall 2 but TLG has many weird, fascinating moments with Trico because you're in such a unique world with pretty much no hand holding or information whatsoever.

To put it in other words, this has been an amazing year for games.

Zaph

But they liked it. What people say or think they want from a story versus what they actually want can turn out to be different things, otherwise everyone would just write their own story. It's still reductive and silly and shitty and Jeff.

You're acting obtuse. Yes, they ended up liking the direction the story took after GotY, but to justify the inclusion of an unfinished game they explained what they were enjoying at the time - those plot points are never explained and Jeff saw that on the wiki.

If you step up for a story-based game nobody has finished during GotY, there are going to be some unconventional arguments because they can't start playing the game during the podcast, so it could either end up being the best thing, worst thing, or somewhere in the middle. The dumbest thing is that they even brought it up to begin with, but this is GotY which seems to turn people dumb (look no further than Austin and Fallout 4).

I don't blame you, it's a magical game so far. The kind you don't see often, everybody talks about "THAT MOMENT" in Titanfall 2 but TLG has many weird, fascinating moments with Trico because you're in such a unique world with pretty much no hand holding or information whatsoever.

To put it in other words, this has been an amazing year for games.

Dunno about that, I could do without the constant controller prompts.

patapuf

When it comes to these lists it's all about feel and bias anyway.

The scrambling for good arguments an justifications comes second. There's plenty of games i really like that i would probably sturggle to argue for in a "compare x to y" discussion. But i really like them, which means i'll push for them. Dumb arguments be damend.

Dunno about that, I could do without the constant controller prompts.

That's one of my issues with it. That and the camera but the game offers so much for me that these issues don't overshadow the other great things the game achieves. I'm in a spot where I don't want to finish it but I also want to so I could see where this journey is going to end.

Meguro

Banned
If you can't include games you haven't finished on a GOTY list then Drew would never be allowed to make one at all so that's a really dumb argument.
What Jeff did was dumb.
There's really no defending it.

You're acting obtuse. Yes, they ended up liking the direction the story took after GotY, but to justify the inclusion of an unfinished game they explained what they were enjoying at the time - those plot points are never explained and Jeff saw that on the wiki.

No I'm not, I've already made my point. They were enjoying the game up to that point and a bad ending wouldn't have changed that. We're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one but I can't believe anyone thinks reading a wikipedia synopsis is considered a valid argument in any way.

But this is the same Jeff that shat all over Rainbow Six Siege for something that is the most minor of minor things (renown boosters). Once he makes up his mind and has a line on a game, it never changes (see him still not liking Super Metroid to this day because he finished it in a day when he was 13 or whatever)

If you can't include games you haven't finished on a GOTY list then Drew would never be allowed to make one at all so that's a really dumb argument.
What Jeff did was dumb.
There's really no defending it.

Doesn't stop some people from trying.

I have finally been playing Dead Rising 3 and that game has a good balance between classic dead rising and western open world design. If only the tone and color space was a little more fun. The game is super brown and grey.

I really feel like the podcasts should start coming out before christmas/what have you because so many people travel during that time. would be nice to have something to listen to.

Meneses

I really feel like the podcasts should start coming out before christmas/what have you because so many people travel during that time. would be nice to have something to listen to.

I agree, i'm spending a bunch of time at an airport / flying next friday, it would be awesome to have some GotY stuff to listen to.

I need to get grindy checklist open world games for Christmas every year so I have plenty to do while I listen to 15 hours of podcasts so I prefer them coming out Christmas week.

People are still shook by Jeff's move lol.

Though i feel no one would have given a fuck if it actually worked in the game's favor but hey *shrug*

I wonder if anything as crazy happened this year

oti

Banned
I need to get grindy checklist open world games for Christmas every year so I have plenty to do while I listen to 15 hours of podcasts so I prefer them coming out Christmas week.

I'm planning on playing more FF XV (finished the story, love the open world), grinding Overwatch Christmas loot boxes and maybe start Horizon 3 or Gears 4. And of course Picross 3D 2 whenever I feel like it.

Meneses

People are still shook by Jeff's move lol.

Though i feel no one would have given a fuck if it actually worked in the game's favor but hey *shrug*

I wonder if anything as crazy happened this year

The Rocket League misdirection was way more devious.

I don't expect much stuff like that this year, only heated battle I can imagine is East pushing for Overwatch while Jeff+Brad battle for Doom / Titanfall

Zaph

god damn, the Nidhogg unfinished is literally just the UPF segment ripped out. I swear, this site likes to test its audience.

Zaph

a more accurate response to minty's question

JhFqQPR.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom