• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
But UPF is an exclusive video for subs, that's the point of having a sub for a website about video games. Are you this upset about not getting to see Space Truckers? (you should be)

And I'm not seeing the problem with showing a clip of said game to others who may not be able to subscribe.

I'd be more upset if Space Truckers wasn't a known quantity that's been out for several weeks. Nidhogg 2 is a game that's unreleased and doesn't have a lot of preview footage out at the moment. Even if it isn't the intent, the context can make it seem like they're selling preview coverage, which is not a good look and very likely why they made it free for everybody.

As a subscriber I'm fine with the Nidhogg 2 segment being excised so others can see it in action.

Nidhogg isn't a game that differs wildly from game to game, so doing a second video probably would have lacked some of the excitement for the staff that UPF had, with the discovery of the character/level art and the different weapons.

Additionally, with Dan moving out and GOTY stuff likely still taking a ton of time (write ups, video editing), I think they have other important stuff that they want to get done. And Nidhogg 2 went longer than the average UPF segment, probably making it a better candidate for a standalone video.

I could also see it as a courtesy to the developers who seem to have gone out of their way a bit to give GB access. There's almost no way a second nidhogg 2 video would be better than the UPF segment, so it'd probably be a bummer if the free, larger audience got a lesser look at the game.

Sure, I'd love two great videos versus one when given the chance, but the second one wouldn't have Vinny or Alex or that sense of discovery and so people would just be complaining about it seeming dry. It is what it is.

As a subscriber I'm fine with the Nidhogg 2 segment being excised so others can see it in action.

Nidhogg isn't a game that differs wildly from game to game, so doing a second video probably would have lacked some of the excitement for the staff that UPF had, with the discovery of the character/level art and the different weapons.

Additionally, with Dan moving out and GOTY stuff likely still taking a ton of time (write ups, video editing), I think they have other important stuff that they want to get done. And Nidhogg 2 went longer than the average UPF segment, probably making it a better candidate for a standalone video.

I could also see it as a courtesy to the developers who seem to have gone out of their way a bit to give GB access. There's almost no way a second nidhogg 2 video would be better than the UPF segment, so it'd probably be a bummer if the free, larger audience got a lesser look at the game.

Sure, I'd love two great videos versus one when given the chance, but the second one wouldn't have Vinny or Alex or that sense of discovery and so people would just be complaining about it seeming dry. It is what it is.

Metal Gear Scanlon ran from September right through November last year, there was plenty to catch up on.

GOTY is an excuse, not a reason.

Did Sam Lake audition for the new Twin Peaks

he has to be in it

He's busy on his own TV show called Return.

khh8DL1.gif

I've been listening to old GOTY-casts lately. I'd forgotten that in 2012 they had a whole category for "Best Walking Dead Episode". It's amazing to me how much attention that game got, and then it dropped off a cliff with season 2.

Did Sam Lake audition for the new Twin Peaks

he has to be in it

Same Lake is one of my favorite people in the games industry.

kingocfs

Even if it isn't the intent, the context can make it seem like they're selling preview coverage, which is not a good look and very likely why they made it free for everybody.

This is a straw that I don't think anyone else other than regulars in this thread could possibly grasp at.

Speaking of Danny's documentaries, how amazing would it be if he went inside Blizzard and did a thing about Overwatch's development? They've been pretty candid about what a rough time it was. Would be interesting to get more of a sense of what came over from Titan.

Meguro

Banned
Lets talk about fun things like videogames.
FFXIV is a videogame that I just resubscribed to because of FFXV.
I am an idiot.

oti

Banned
I'd be more upset if Space Truckers wasn't a known quantity that's been out for several weeks. Nidhogg 2 is a game that's unreleased and doesn't have a lot of preview footage out at the moment. Even if it isn't the intent, the context can make it seem like they're selling preview coverage, which is not a good look and very likely why they made it free for everybody.

I'm sorry what.

Look, what I'm saying is that they don't want to put pre-release footage of a game that they asked the devs for behind a paywall, which is perfectly fair. But that kind of stuff probably shouldn't be on UPF to begin with.

derFeef

Look, what I'm saying is that they don't want to put pre-release footage of a game that they asked the devs for behind a paywall, which is perfectly fair. But that kind of stuff probably shouldn't be on UPF to begin with.

It was maybe very... unprofessional... to do that.
It was fun. They did not think about that fact.

robotrock

Banned
I couldn't get into Hitman or Mario Maker. That's two years in a row where GB's #1 spot is lost on me.

#2 though...that's what I'm all about.

Just looking at the premium tab on the website, there's been 2 pieces of premium content in the last month that wasn't a UPF (Alex playing Megaman and a Jar Time)

If you're paying monthly that's $1 per video!

I know it's GOTY time and this is probably not a super fair statistic

Edit: I too love F1.cool

I have no idea, the story is so nonsensical and there aren't any meaningful plot points to mark progress. I think I just watched the second (terrible) TV episode. The first one never played, too, so I didn't even realize something was wrong except that there seemed to suddenly be a huge gap in the story.

I try not to think about Alan Wake because I find myself bawling when I do.

Hey listen you I'll knock your block off
Seriously name one good thing about that game. Just one thing.

ev0

I can't wait for GOTY to be over so the excuses can change to

"Dan's moving and getting used to the new office/city" -> "they're prepping for GDC" -> "Pax East is right after GDC" -> "they are looking for a new hire guys" -> "they are prepping for e3" -> "didn't make sense to get a new hire during e3 so wait longer" ->Pax West happened" -> "too many new releases to make premium content" -> "its GOTY time guys stop being entitled"

minty_ice

Banned

"Dan's moving and getting used to the new office/city" -> "they're prepping for GDC" -> "Pax East is right after GDC" -> "they are looking for a new hire guys" -> "they are prepping for e3" -> "didn't make sense to get a new hire during e3 so wait longer" ->Pax West happened" -> "too many new releases to make premium content" -> "its GOTY time guys stop being entitled"

giant bomb tip jar

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
All that Unfinished tells me is that they're probably not going to take another look at the game and the way they played it was good for its own video. Like...this is such a minor thing to complain about, I don't get it.

Oh and the reason they're releasing GotY the way they do from what I understand was always that this was the only time all of them were on break and the offices closed. To fill that gap, basically.

Former Thread King and multi-time top poster would rather post on the GB forums than this thread. What have we become?
He always posted there. Probably one of the top posters on the whole site.

when you activate the cheat menu you can give yourself infinite flashbangs and that's pretty fun
I didn't know there was a cheat menu. Maybe I'll finish it someday. I don't even remember where I was when the terrible combat, story, and camera system became too much for me to bear. I can't believe this is the same studio behind Max Payne.

robotrock

Banned
I have it on Xbox, Win Store, Steam and got that crazy collectors disc thing eidtion. Fight me :p

This will be me now. Xbox+WinStore, plus now the crazy disc thing that comes with a Steam key.

Game has dope combat and some cool time travel shenanigans. The TV show thing is stupid but otherwise I had a great time with it.

The only time I will excuse Giant Bomb's content droughts: the time they record and edit GOTY content, PAX thursdays-mondays, GDC parties, and E3 travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom