• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

I'm a little surprised that everyone across the board acknowledges that The Last Guardian's controls should've been better, considering Shadow of the Colossus had a notorious defense force that argued stuff like the controls were intentionally clumsy to elicit feelings in the player, or that the controls were an example of how video games can be art.

Why do I disbelieve this but simultaneously totally believe it?

When it comes to the old TR's, as long as the ledge is flat, you could climb onto it if you could reach it. Other then that, you can't so, in a sense it's done well in that you're using your instincts instead of looking for shiny ledges.

e: I love the old Tomb Raider games, especially 1 & 2, maybe even some of 3. The rest are stale and the rebooted TR games are great. They are also a completely different kind of beast obviously when compared to the classic TRs.

so it isn't as good as the old Tomb Raider games

also, it's weird because Tomb Raider III has some of the best and worst levels in the series

Why do I disbelieve this but simultaneously totally believe it?

It's the same point people bring up when they talk about Survival Horror. For example, the Silent Hill series has always been known to have horrible gameplay but I feel like the gameplay in those games benefits them rather than hinder. If vanquish had SH controls then yeah, I'd probably see why there's a problem but when it comes to SH, I just don't see it. It plays completely fine and in tone with whatever the game throws at you.

so it isn't as good as the old Tomb Raider games

also, it's weird because Tomb Raider III has some of the best and worst levels in the series

Hmmm, I can't really compare them. I love both. The classic games have this sense of dread and complete mystery to them when it comes to how the entire game is designed. When I think about that game, I remember how much the atmosphere used to scare me because the game for the most part relied on the sounds around you and that's it. You don't get music or anything, much like TLG(well, there is music in that but only in specific parts). The rebooted TR games are more story/character driven and action packed with a sense of place because everything is more or less connected across the same map with no loading whatsoever.

Years ago, Deadly Premonition BR and thumbnails for the series spoiled the game's story for me, when I thought I was safe watching episodes from earlier in the game than where I was. Obviously a mistake!

They made an observation/prediction that was immediately clearly correct.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yes, which are annoying as fuck. It can easily be patched out though. Framerate is a much bigger problem, imo because it reaaaaaaaaaalllllyyyy impacts whatever you're trying to do but thankfully it's a stable 30 for the most part but not quite.

I've got a pro and other than one area it's been fine honestly.

If he doesn't I'll pick up the mantle. I've got some..plans for how it'd look~

Awesome. If you need some help with things feel free to hit me up.

I've got a pro and other than one area it's been fine honestly.

No pro here. There's one area where I swear the FPS probably dropped to 5FPS for a few seconds.

Yeh, just message me with daydreams answer and I"ll get to work on it asap

Sure thing!

I have a feeling that if I went back to Deadly Premonition there would be certain things about Thomas's character that maybe don't fly the way they did in 2010

Johndoey

Banned
I feel like people don't understand just how much Deadly Premonition pulls from Twin Peaks.

Past the initial "oh wow Swery sure liked Twin Peaks" stuff like building layouts, speech patterns, certain tics. It's something else.

Volotaire

I thought this would be of interest to many here. Danny O'Dwyer was a guest on Jared Petty's (he just left IGN last week for an EA job) podcast Pockets Full of Soup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae3Vj-nXlzw&feature=youtu.be
Naturally, there's plenty of Giant Bomb talk during this episode (especially regarding Drew and Alexis).

I wonder if any Giant Bomb guys will ever show up there. These podcasts are very good.

lol Danny's East London accent.

Where can I see this?

upf
3qkFikCh.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I tried to go back to Mafia 3 and man it's amazing that a single player game has more busy work than an open world mmo-esque game like The Division

like how. why would you do this?

Plasma

Banned
Mafia 3 feels like a game that could be an amazing 6 hour game if a modder came in and took out ALL the bullshit and fixed the engine

which would be a lot of work
People complained about the open world in Mafia 2 but I liked it they cut out the stuff you didn't need and the main campaign was better for it.

Strax

I do wonder what the Mafia III team will do in the next Mafia game in terms of setting. I almost bought Mafia III simply because of its style and look.

Scizzy

Did Dan ever talk about why he sided with the community center over the Joja corporation in Stardew Valley? Why did he betray Walmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom