• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck

Still without luck
Didn't expect a game to shoot up into my top 3 after tonight, but I just finished the last guardian.

Amazing game, everyone should play it.

Ashby

All these games I bought and planned to have finished before the GOTY 'casts and I can't bring myself to play any of them because I used to exclusively play games while my girlfriend watched. Man.

Megasoum

Banned
How so? My interest is peaked. On ps4?

Right now it's only early access on PC and XB1.

It's really early so there's not a whole lot to do but you really feel like you're on the brink of dying at all time. The terraforming is great

Right now it's 100% ressource collecting and survival. There's no combat (and from what the devs said in the Unfinished there won't be any for any time soon).

You explore the planet, you find caves, you try to survive long enough to find ressources and return them to your base to craft stuff that makes you better at exploring, lets you go further, quicker... etc

I just had my first sand storm with huge rocks flying around. I was lucky and right next to my ship so I hid inside until it was over.

If you haven't seen it checkout the segment on the last UPF or the old Unfinished EX

oti

Banned
The GOTY podcast should be free of TLG spoilers, right? Wasn't initially planning on playing it but since you guys can't shut up about it I want to play the game. But since it was too late for GOTY we should be OK, right?

Right now it's only early access on PC and XB1.

It's really early so there's not a whole lot to do but you really feel like you're on the brink of dying at all time. The terraforming is great

Right now it's 100% ressource collecting and survival. There's no combat (and from what the devs said in the Unfinished there won't be any for any time soon).

You explore the planet, you find caves, you try to survive long enough to find ressources and return them to your base to craft stuff that makes you better at exploring, lets you go further, quicker... etc

I just had my first sand storm with huge rocks flying around. I was lucky and right next to my ship so I hid inside until it was over.

If you haven't seen it checkout the segment on the last UPF or the old Unfinished EX

Oooh I havent seen the last UPF yet. Should watch it tonight. Ill say post update, No Mans Sky is pretty nice..

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The GOTY podcast should be free of TLG spoilers, right? Wasn't initially planning on playing it but since you guys can't shut up about it I want to play the game. But since it was too late for GOTY we should be OK, right?
Lol if you think anyone other than Alex had played it. I doubt it even gets brought up.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If it ever comes up I think jeff wouldn't need wikipedia (which doesn't really spoil anything btw), I think he'll hate the controls and camera enough to make those the sticking points.

But man.

What a fucking game.

Game deserves best graphics though. Only idiots would think that this is just a up-ressed PS3 game. Some of the scenes are downright jaw dropping. Trico alone would melt the PS3.

fstop

Neo Member
dave lang bringing the hitman content

That was hard to watch for completely opposite reasons to GB. He didn't spare a second to see how easy (and fun) it is to SA the Guru and yet he made and will make the unusually difficult Holiday challenges extra hard on himself by not using Instinct or taking the smallest hint from chat. I hope he streams the moment when he discovers that
Santa isn't in the basement
in his next Holiday challenge run.

If it ever comes up I think jeff wouldn't need wikipedia (which doesn't really spoil anything btw), I think he'll hate the controls and camera enough to make those the sticking points.

But man.

What a fucking game.

Game deserves best graphics though. Only idiots would think that this is just a up-ressed PS3 game. Some of the scenes are downright jaw dropping. Trico alone would melt the PS3.

I'm hoping Santa brings me a PS4 for Christmas, in which case TLG might be the first game I play.

Watch them wave off the game for Best Looking in the same way they did The Order.

guys just unfollow twitter accounts you don't like

Pretty much, I myself find it amusing but I'm not into it. I'm following for the articles and such.

I'm pretty sure none of them finished it.

That ending though... man.

Alex is the only one that probably finished it. I'm very near the end but I'm savoring it, absolutely adore the game. It has such an impact when it comes to the boy and Trico. There are moments in this game where you're holding onto Trico while he's getting shit done and then the music swells and damn, all of it just feels majestic.

The atmosphere is amazing with the world being filled with wonder and everything about it feels unique yet familiar(it feels like it takes place in the same universe as ICO/SOTC). Absolutely no handholding whatsoever. It's hard for the experience not to end up being very memorable because it's unlike anything else out there. It's the kind of game that you may infact never play again but that first time experience will stay with you for very long.

It's a shame when it comes to the framerate, camera and the pop-up controller thing but what the game does overshadows these problems for me. I also never found a problem with Trico, as soon as you
were able to command him
, we were on the same page always.

nah

how could someone have beef with something as small as the fundamental method with which you directly interface with a video game

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
nah

how could someone have beef with something as small as the fundamental method with which you directly interface with a video game

I mean that's fair, and I actually have beef with it, so I'm not really saying "Mrrgrr why is he making such a big deal about controls mrrgrr" as much as "Yeah, he'll hate these controls, I kinda hate them too", if that's what you're implying.

I mean that's fair, and I actually have beef with it, so I'm not really saying "Mrrgrr why is he making such a big deal about controls mrrgrr" as much as "Yeah, he'll hate these controls, I kinda hate them too", if that's what you're implying.

I'm just saying that poor controls/camera is a valid deal breaker for pretty much any game.

I love the animations in the game, they are extremely well done to a fault(when it comes to the boy). He walks/runs like a kid so you'll find him stumbling about whatever and sometimes you want him to hold a switch but instead he'll hold Trico's leg if Trico was near for example. It's abit janky in that regard but you get used to it quickly or atleast I did.

The game overall though requires patience because nothing is ever clear. Anytime you enter a new place, you pretty much have to scan the environment, look everywhere to know what to do exactly, where to go next and try things out. Nothing is ever told to you except for a handful of times when it's a story related thing (You'll hear a voice over
saying for example "Trico wasn't moving so I had to find some food at this point to get him to do stuff"
)

I love the animations in the game, they are extremely well done to a fault(when it comes to the boy). He walks/runs like a kid so you'll find him stumbling about whatever and sometimes you want him to hold a switch but instead he'll hold Trico's leg if Trico was near for example. It's abit janky in that regard but you get used to it quickly or atleast I did.

The game overall though requires patience because nothing is ever clear. Anytime you enter a new place, you pretty much have to scan the environment, look everywhere to know what to do exactly, where to go next and try things out. Nothing is ever told to you except for a handful of times when it's a story related thing (You'll hear a voice over
saying for example "Trico wasn't moving so I had to find some food at this point to get him to do stuff"
)

I love that they don't do the common thing in game design where they color the ledges you can grab differently, or highlight where you're supposed to go in some way. The spaces never feel overly "gamey". This may be a sticking point for some, because there are times when you spend minutes figuring out where you're supposed to go when in an Uncharted or whatever it would be pretty much instantly recognizable. It made me appreciate the fantastic world-building, and since you're with Trico most of the time, I hardly ever felt frustrated due to not knowing where to go. It requires patience in all things, really, but I appreciated it.

Guys... Astroneer is really fucking cool.

It's super early pre-alpha and it's already better than No Man's Sky

Astroneer is the first time I've ever been tempted to buy an early access game. Looks really cool. I'll just force myself to forget it and it'll be a nice surprise when it comes out in a year or two.

I love that they don't do the common thing in game design where they color the ledges you can grab differently, or highlight where you're supposed to go in some way. The spaces never feel overly "gamey". This may be a sticking point for some, because there are times when you spend minutes figuring out where you're supposed to go when in an Uncharted or whatever it would be pretty much instantly recognizable. It made me appreciate the fantastic world-building, and since you're with Trico most of the time, I hardly ever felt frustrated due to not knowing where to go. It requires patience in all things, really, but I appreciated it.

so what you're saying is it's a new Tomb Raider

like, old Tomb Raider

the good ones

I love it too because much like Ueda's other games, it feels authentic and never let's you out of the experience of being in this mystical, other world.

so what you're saying is it's a new Tomb Raider

like, old Tomb Raider

the good ones

Q3GFCOl.gif

5M9f534.gif

When it comes to the old TR's, as long as the ledge is flat, you could climb onto it if you could reach it. Other then that, you can't so, in a sense it's done well in that you're using your instincts instead of looking for shiny ledges.

e: I love the old Tomb Raider games, especially 1 & 2, maybe even some of 3. The rest are stale and the rebooted TR games are great. They are also a completely different kind of beast obviously when compared to the classic TRs.

chrixter

I'm a little surprised that everyone across the board acknowledges that The Last Guardian's controls should've been better, considering Shadow of the Colossus had a notorious defense force that argued stuff like the controls were intentionally clumsy to elicit feelings in the player, or that the controls were an example of how video games can be art.

I'm a little surprised that everyone across the board acknowledges that The Last Guardian's controls should've been better, considering Shadow of the Colossus had a notorious defense force that argued stuff like the controls were intentionally clumsy to elicit feelings in the player, or that the controls were an example of how video games can be art.

Well, the boy feels like you're controlling a real boy. In the sense that he stumbles alot aside from being very animated with his movements. Does it bother me? Not really because it feels immersive to me but since we're discussing TLG at the moment, it's easy to see how this could be a fault to some people. I didn't find a problem with SOTC's controls as well.

Man, SOTC...that first colossus. 11 years later and I still remember the first time going against it. What a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom