• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT #25 | "Tear down da wall"

yB7A0.gif

SaveUs_Jeff

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Moreover, they changed the structure of the Steam sale in recent years so all planned discounts are applied from the start of the sale and there are no flash/special sales.
It's like they had Cyber Monday before Amazon and just decided it was too exciting.

This is one of the best images I've seen from the site

Also, I'm assuming Alex Jason and Drew are sitting behind the camera in the podcast studio?

E: can I get away just watching a playthrough of Nier? Don't have access to a PS3 anymore and I don't really feel like picking one up for a single game. I've never really "watched" a full playthrough of a game and I don't want to gloss over Nier if it truly is worth my time

Christ, I'm SO excited for next week.

Screw the skits, having the guys hang around together and play great games in Christmas jumpers is all I need to see.

I just finished The Last Guardian...

v4aFGh8.gif

Best moment of 2016? SON, that game had moments for days. The second half of the game is magical and the last 10 minutes are something to behold. Soundtrack and overall impact of the game I feel isn't quite as strong as SOTC but it's up there. I do however think the world that surrounds this game is super interesting and Trico lived up to the HYPE. He's MAJESTIC.

Much like Ueda's other games, the world has this melancholy beauty and authenticity about it all that just grabs you from the beginning and soaks you in, incredible level design and it's impressive how they made everything make sense for Trico and the boy. They never felt out of place in the world. Man, breathtaking setpieces as well, especially one that involves such an impressive battle of sorts. I REALLY want to talk about a moment near the very end that left me breathless.

I talked previously about how good this game is at making you use your instincts to progress in the game rather than give you pointers or shiny ledges. The framing of the moment at the end where you were extremely weak and Trico was going to get attacked by the villagers, I didn't even think about it but I signaled Trico to get away by doing the usual R1 + point in a direction. What blew my mind is that I thought it was a hidden QTE but upon reading I found out it's something you had to do to progress and I did it without even thinking about it because that was what my gut was telling me to do. To protect Trico.

It's a game that requires you to have tons of patience at times but I feel if you give it the needed patience, it pays off in a big way. I enjoyed it a bunch but it has issues particularly with framerate and it's abit janky(I don't mind that, personally). Framerate needs to be fixed though, don't play TLG without a PRO is my recommendation at this moment because there are a few times in this game where I said out loud "I wish I had a pro right now because framerate has turned to dogshit". What this game does good, the journey, atmosphere, sound design(SO GOOD) and the relationship between Trico & the boy is masterfully done. Easily overshadows any flaws this game has, to me.

Salarians

E: can I get away just watching a playthrough of Nier? Don't have access to a PS3 anymore and I don't really feel like picking one up for a single game. I've never really "watched" a full playthrough of a game and I don't want to gloss over Nier if it truly is worth my time
Yeah, I think that'd be fine. I'd actually suggest giving The Dark Id's LP a try. It's primarily text and screenshots but he adds in pieces of the soundtrack (ripped or recorded segments/variations of tracks not present in the official soundtrack release), which adds a lot. He even includes relevant info from Drakengard where appropriate (which he also did an LP of, which I recommend because BOY that game is fucked up).

The game does do some cool and unexpected things with its gameplay and mechanics but, if you don't already have a console that can play the game, I don't think it's worth getting one just for Nier.

Maybe? To fully appreciate Nier you need to play it three times. So if you just want to get caught up on it for Nier Automata, it might be a lot to go through.

I was floored by just how long The Last Guardian was. It was not some 6 hour tech demo. It was a lengthy 12-15 hour fully formed adventure with story and character development.

I just finished The Last Guardian...

Best moment of 2016? SON, that game had moments for days.

This is what got me. There are so many set pieces in the game. The last 4-5 hours are literally non-stop set pieces. I just couldn't believe how it kept ratcheting up the stakes through the last third of the game.

Johndoey

Banned
If you're going to watch a playthrough you should also read through the wiki and brush up on the differences between Nier Replicant and Nier Gestalt it's minor but important.

Also read up on at least the first Drakengard.

A text LP is probably the way to go.

Maybe? To fully appreciate Nier you need to play it three times. So if you just want to get caught up on it for Nier Automata, it might be a lot to go through.

I just watched SBF's playthrough, as Liam and Pat talk pretty extensively on what happens with the game and its relation to the Drakengard series.

Chuck

Still without luck
So before we get a fresh one next week, and since I had nothing better to do that past all these...

Which year of GB top list was the best and which was the worst? 08 and 09 had the winner and one runner up, 10 had the winner and 4 runners up, 11-15 had the winner atop a list of ten games.

Code:
(2008)
1. GTA IV
2. MGS 4
Code:
(2009)
1. Uncharted 2
2. Batman Arkham Asylum
Code:
(2010)
1. Mass Effect 2
x. Red Dead Redemption
x. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
x. Star Craft 2 Wings of Liberty
x. Need for Speed Hot Pursit
Code:
(2011)
1. Skyrim
2. Saints Row The Third
3. Bastion
4. Portal 2
5. Dead Space 2
6. The Witcher 2
7. Batman Arkham City
8. Gears of War 3
9. L.A. Noire
10. Rayman Origins
Code:
(2012)
1. X-COM: Enemy Unknown
2. The Walking Dead
3. Far Cry 3
4. Fez
5. Journey
6. Mark of the Ninja
7. Syndicate
8. Mass Effect 3
9. ZombiU
10. Sleeping Dogs
Code:
(2013)
1. The Last of Us
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
3. BioShock Infinite
4. Gone Home
5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
6. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
7. Dota 2
8. Divekick
9. Papers, Please
10. Rogue Legacy
Code:
(2014)
1. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
2. Bayonetta 2
3. Far Cry 4
4. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
5. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
6. South Park: The Stick of Truth
7. Jazzpunk
8. Shovel Knight
9. Mario Kart 8
10. Destiny
Code:
(2015)
1. Super Mario Maker 
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
3. Rocket League
4. Kerbal Space Program
5. Splatoon
6. Rise of the Tomb Raider
7. Undertale
8. Grow Home
9. Invisible Inc.
10. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
11 and 12 were pretty bad, and 09 was definitely the best.

Joeku

It's gonna be 30 degrees Celsius here ��

Bite my butt. That just means I'm gonna enjoy it more!

Actually half of my family is going to California this Xmas so probably no rockbanding. I'll just have to get drunk enough for everyone.

Edit: Of those above, either 2010 (just cuz ME2 and RDR) or 2013.

hamchan

2014 and 2015 might be the worst lists with the most entries of games that only one person was passionate about rather than the whole group liking it.

Also 2015 had Witcher 3 and Bloodborne fighting over tenth place wtf.

hamchan

2012 has Zombi U and Syndicate. What the hell is that list.

That's true. Patrick and Jeff pick right there. The Zombi U seemed like a gimme to Patrick since no one else played it if I recall correctly.

2014 has the Jeff pick with CoD, the Alex pick with Hearthstone, the Dan pick with Mario Kart 8 and the Brad pick with Destiny lol. Plus it has Mordor winning GOTY, a game that wouldn't even be in the top 10 this year:

Yo 2014 sucked.

How did the Witcher 2 get up there on 2011's GotY list? Dave and Vinny double-team?

I need to listen to those GotYcasts again. If I have at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom