• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamNW

It's just impressive how we could have a repeat of 2015 where the two objective best games of the year are #1 and #2.
we could have a repeat of 2015 where the two objective best games of the year
objective best games
LOL. Embrace the subjectivity of it all. It's crazy to me that people like any of this year's shooters (several of which are excellent, by the way) better than Inside and The Witness, but they're not objectively right or wrong.

I feel if you're looking at the past three or four months of the year, there's absolutely no way Hitman doesn't take it. Brad absolutely will not stop talking about how good and refreshing it is, both Vinny and Jeff have fallen hard for it, and it's been the engine for more of this year's content than any other game. Doom hit the ground like a thunderbolt back in May, but Hitman has just built and built while Doom's fallen off a little.

I'd actually argue that Hitman has the broadest support of any game at that table. If Brad puts his weight into it, I could honestly see it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't think Jeff has 'fallen hard for it'. Jeff enjoyed it but fallen hard is something like Titanfall 2 or Let It Die. Overwatch is the one bringing Vinny's family together.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Doom's problem in a prolongued discussion is that you run out of good things to say pretty quickly, just because it's so straightforward.

Doom's problem in a prolongued discussion is that you run out of good things to say pretty quickly, just because it's so straightforward.

That's how I feel. It's fucking awesome at what it does, but you've seen what it does after an hour. I would be fine with it as GOTY though, the good is that good.

My heart is with Titanfall 2 though.

"But it's so good!"

If Doom doesn't win, it will only be because multiplayer didn't take off.

That's the biggest reason why I see it potentially not winning... That's a pretty big knock against the game. Did they ever pull the multiplayer card out against something like Uncharted before?

Edit: Hitman probably wins biggest suprise, right?

Did Let it Die come out in time for Best Styyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyle?

SUPERHOT came out this year. Sorry.

SUPERHOT for best styyyyyyyyyyyyyle is smooth jimmy apollo's lock of the week.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That's the biggest reason why I see it potentially not winning... That's a pretty big knock against the game. Did they ever pull the multiplayer card out against something like Uncharted before?

Edit: Hitman probably wins biggest suprise, right?

Doom was sent out to die with no reviews. Nothing about it looked good.

Doom is best surprise

I'm fine with Doom or Hitman, although Hitman seems like the right pick for Giant Bomb specifically. Overwatch winning would honestly frustrate me, just because I got so bored of that game and the lack of any feeling of progression.

My prediction:

1. Hitman
2. Doom
3. Overwatch
4. The Witness
5. Titanfall 2
6. Inside
7. Super Hot
8. Watch_Dogs 2
9. Forza Horizon 3
10. Stardew Valley

The further down the list goes, the less confident I get. But those have to be the top three, the only question is the order.
You think Brad likes looking at all the speculation about GOTY and laughing at how off-base our predictions are?

I think the top three are pretty solid choices. I bet Dan makes Stardew Valley his personal fight and gets it up a few spots from 10. I would go:

neshcom

Banned
Oh yeah... good point... But Hitman sounded pretty bad with episodic stuff ahead of release... Both were nice surprises.

Hitman sounded abysmal before launch because someone at Square-Enix realize none of it sounds good on paper and didn't talk about it at all.

Doom's surprise was that they made a good shooter game?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hitman sounded abysmal before launch because someone at Square-Enix realize none of it sounds good on paper and didn't talk about it at all.

Doom's surprise was that they made a good shooter game?

A good shooter game with a troubled development and no pre-release reviews as well as a panned multiplayer beta

you are completely understating it

Zebetite

Banned
A good shooter game with a troubled development and no pre-release reviews as well as a panned multiplayer beta

also id's first great game in a really long time. i'm not sure what smoke on the street is about RAGE but i've never heard particularly great things about it and Quake 4 is just a shitshow all-around. doom 3 has fans but was divisive.

neshcom

Banned

But that's low stakes and weak publicity. At worst, it would've been another IP stuck in rebooted mediocrity. At least that's how I see it; I didn't really follow the dev cycle for Doom or think about it pre-release.

I think Jeff feels the same way I feel about overwatch. Very well made but just not for me. Also the sheer amount of slash and fan fiction for that game has put me off a little too.Aint got nothin against it, but it's everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom