• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salarians

I only played about 30 minutes of the demo but, so far, FFXV seems like a cool, kind of weird game. Stuff like (not really spoilers but stuff that's nice to discover on your own)
the little 8-bit sprites of the party on the shop menu that dance to let you know if they can use the weapon you've got selected, or how renting an RV to sleep in gives you a 20 second scene of the guys checking the place out, then seeing a generated collection of photos that Prompto took during that day. Or walking into an American style pit stop diner with perfect english language signage, a black owner, and white and east asian customers... and distinctly japanese style food plating.
It all gives the game a really unique and charming vibe. I like what I'm seeing, looking forward to playing more of it tomorrow.

Also fashion.

Cw9xvGeWgAEeIAg

This week SUCKS!

My processor finally arrived. And by that I mean the package arrive and someone clearly intercepted it, stole the processor and I am currently in Amazon chat trying to sort this out.

edit

Amazon rep says they will give me a full refund and are contacting the courier. That customer service is not bad.

Lunar FC

This week SUCKS!

My processor finally arrived. And by that I mean the package arrive and someone clearly intercepted it, stole the processor and I am currently in Amazon chat trying to sort this out.

edit

Amazon rep says they will give me a full refund and are contacting the courier. That customer service is not bad.

Amazon customer service has always been great for me. Theyve given me like 3 "one time only" exceptions when I needed to make a return or refund.

derFeef

Hitman is amazing, it might knock off DOOM for me (onlayp alyed Paris so far). Have not played much this year but so far is might be my favourite. Also it's way easier than Brad & Dan made it seem like, heh.

Xater

Hitman is amazing, it might knock off DOOM for me (onlayp alyed Paris so far). Have not played much this year but so far is might be my favourite. Also it's way easier than Brad & Dan made it seem like, heh.

Glad you are also enjoying it.

RIP Leonard Cohen. What a spectacularly shit year this has been.

I only caught the start of MPP, would you guys say it's worth checking out the whole party?

Peru

Would love to see Dan play through Sunshine. Hope we get some special coverage from him when the new Mario arrives, too, his love for the 3D ones is infectious.

Strax

What.

It's really simple, I can't believe the chat was freaking out when Jeff pointed it out:

There are Blue spaces and Red spaces. The type of mini-game is determined by the color of the space each player landed on in that turn. If everyone landed on a Red space, it's a FFA. If one person landed on a Blue space and the rest on Red spaces, it's 1v3.

If one lands on an ambiguous space like a Green question mark, it'll randomly pick between Blue and Red at the end of the turn.

When I was watching Mario Party Party 1 that's what I thought but there have been over 5 times I remember them all landing on blue space and getting a team game, 1 of them landing on a red space and getting a free-for-all etc.

Would love to see Dan play through Sunshine. Hope we get some special coverage from him when the new Mario arrives, too, his love for the 3D ones is infectious.

Endurance run with Jeff playing and Dan watching.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
For Brad? 10%
For overall GotY? 0%
Big Jeffrey will read that wiki entry and you'll see Hitman get 5th at best.
Jeff said he would play it on the Bombcast. Should he like it, which I'm kinda not expecting, it'll have a chance. Because I think Beast would vote for Hitman over Doom.

What if instead of having 2 25 turn Mario parties in 2 different videos they have 2 25 turn Mario Parties on the same stream?

Also that Mario Party seems cheap as fuck.
Its pillarboxed 16:9 for some reason.
The UI looks placeholder as fuck
The graphics look unfinished.
The mini games are lacking

Nintendo extra not giving a fuck here.

Johndoey

Banned
I only played about 30 minutes of the demo but, so far, FFXV seems like a cool, kind of weird game. Stuff like (not really spoilers but stuff that's nice to discover on your own)
the little 8-bit sprites of the party on the shop menu that dance to let you know if they can use the weapon you've got selected, or how renting an RV to sleep in gives you a 20 second scene of the guys checking the place out, then seeing a generated collection of photos that Prompto took during that day. Or walking into an American style pit stop diner with perfect english language signage, a black owner, and white and east asian customers... and distinctly japanese style food plating.
It all gives the game a really unique and charming vibe. I like what I'm seeing, looking forward to playing more of it tomorrow.

Also fashion.
I'd be so much more interested in this game if it was just the extended road trip and not all this kingdom invasion shit that sounds dull as used dishwater.

Xater

Also fashion.

I continue to not care for it. The road trip thing is a nice idea, but I have my doubts about the story. From the previews it sounds like it's doing some of the same mistakes FFXIII did. The combat is also not my thing. I know the demo is set to easy, but it is all I can judge the game on. I just think the combat is simple and uninteresting. I had the same problem with Kingdom Hearts though, so that shouldn't be a shocker. At least the frame rate seems to have improved quite a bit and is no longer a total catastrophe. I continue to be very much indifferent about this game. It's been a long time since I was excited for a Final Fantasy and it seems like that is sadly not going to change for the foreseeable future.

Scizzy

At least you actually saw it. Reading a plot synopsis on a wiki page and letting that form your opinion of a story is the most reductive things you can do.

It was a tough situation. The wiki thing was silly, but trying to rank a story-based game when no one has actually finished it is pretty tough to do.

I wonder if Jeff might go with Titanfall 2 for personal GOTY over Doom. I know everyone was head over heels for the Doom campaign. But I wonder if the fact that Titanfall has awesome multiplayer on top of a really good campaign can push it ahead of Doom, which has really bad multiplayer.

Sorry to bring up GOTY predictions, but im just trying to distract myself this week.

Zaph

I wonder if Jeff might go with Titanfall 2 for personal GOTY over Doom. I know everyone was head over heels for the Doom campaign. But I wonder if the fact that Titanfall has awesome multiplayer on top of a really good campaign can push it ahead of Doom, which has really bad multiplayer.

Sorry to bring up GOTY predictions, but im just trying to distract myself this week.

I think Titanfall 2 might be my top spot. 10 year old me would probably punch me for saying it, but the full package might be better than Doom.

kiguel182

you're setting yourself up for deception, just stop you've had a rough week already (assuming you're american)

Not american but I'm going to choose to believe!

But Doom winning is fine for me, I loved the game.

EDIT: I haven't played Titanfall 2 but having a good campaign AND a good multiplayer might have some impact on the discussions. I think that Doom being a sure fire winner is less likely right now.

imBask

Banned
I gotta say Brad convinced me in the Bombcast. I gotta play more of the Titanfall 2 single player, i'm 2 missions in and I gave up because I also thought "well it's just another one of those, they exagerated"

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: I haven't played Titanfall 2 but having a good campaign AND a good multiplayer might have some impact on the discussions. I think that Doom being a sure fire winner is less likely right now.
Yeah, that's one reason. The argument for DOOM is essentially "it's a really good shooter!", but the other games have a broader argument.

imBask

Banned
Yeah, that's one reason. The argument for DOOM is essentially "it's a really good shooter!", but the other games have a broader argument.

let's not forget that the argument against the criticism of Mario Maker's curation system was "shut up you're stupid"

I gotta say Brad convinced me in the Bombcast. I gotta play more of the Titanfall 2 single player, i'm 2 missions in and I gave up because I also thought "well it's just another one of those, they exagerated"

You should stick with it, the first few missions are pretty bland, but then the story/gameplay takes a left hand turn and its pretty cool. im just beyond that part and am looking forward to playing some more.

daveo42

Banned
If all four people land on the same colored space, it's a 4 player game.

If two land on red and two on blue, it's a team game.

If three land on one color and one lands on the other, it's a 3 vs. 1.

If someone lands on a ? space, it randomly assigns them red or blue and the above rules apply. That's been in all the traditional Mario Parties I think.

I feel like an idiot for not knowing that. As random as the game is, I always assumed the mini-games were also some RNG bullshit.

Oh my fucking god, just got done with MP8(major winner spoilers) after watching just abit of the middle when it was live.

DAN WON, FUCK. It was worth it just to hear Brad lose it from afar at the end though.

Also fashion.

This will be my first FF and I'm really looking forward to it. Never been into turn based JRPGs so, yeah. The combat in this is more my thing and the buddy road trip aspect of it sounds exciting. Also, FIGHT FANTASTICA ALL DAY EVERYDAY.

---

Just a heads up, I still got 2 Gears codes, 1 Gears 2 code and 1 Gears 3 code. PM me if you want, choose one only. First come, first served.

Every time I get mildly interested in FF15 something comes along to nip that interest in the bud. Most recently there was some youtube video about "everything you need to know about the story of FF15" and it was like a 10-minute long summary of all the events that happened in movies and anime and it all sounds like FF13 all over again and it feels like putting the cart before the horse. Let the game come out and if it's good, I might care, but expecting me to care about a mediocre CG movie and an anime on the promise of a game that may or may not be good is madness.

Joeku

Every time I get mildly interested in FF15 something comes along to nip that interest in the bud. Most recently there was some youtube video about "everything you need to know about the story of FF15" and it was like a 10-minute long summary of all the events that happened in movies and anime and it all sounds like FF13 all over again and it feels like putting the cart before the horse. Let the game come out and if it's good, I might care, but expecting me to care about a mediocre CG movie and an anime on the promise of a game that may or may not be good is madness.

For sure.

It all also pulls away from that original (well, not original original) pitch of an anime road trip, which sounded weird and crazy and potentially really cool. I'm not surprised a decade-old game got overcomplicated in its lore, but I'd love some simplicity.

justjim89

Oh. Weird. MPP spoilers.

Dan won again. Maybe because, yet again, he was actively trying to win while the rest whined about randomization, motion controls, and how bad a time they're having sitting down and playing a video game for four hours. Their lack of effort is just helping Dan prove his point.

kiguel182

Mario Party Party for me only works when they are trying to win. It's no fun when they don't care. This Party had a little more competition and it was more enjoyable but the first ones were better simply because they actually tried to play the game as better as they could.

Also, Gears 4? It seems they are playing a lot of it but they barely talk about it on podcasts. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom