• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ein Bear

I feel like I owe Brad an apology.

All these years I thought the 'voice of an angel' thing was an ironic meme about some Guitar Hero/Rock Band quick look I missed. But holy shit the dude can sing.

SeanR1221

My wife has been watching bits and pieces of Mario Party Party 8.

Some select quotes

"Do these guys just play games all day?"

"Do you think they want to play games when they go home after playing games?"

"Why does the one guy (Jeff) look so miserable"

"That one guy (Dan) is seriously all jazzed up. He's like, really excited"

"Hey you have that shirt! (Jeff's shirt)"

She's also laughing at a good chunk of what she's seeing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jeff in two weeks: "I wish I had more time to play games for GOTY. Oh well, anyway. I can't speak for this game since I didn't play it so I'm DELETING IT OFF THE LIST!"

sounds like the games problem rather than jeffs if he'd rather play something else instead

Catvoca

Banned
My wife has been watching bits and pieces of Mario Party Party 8.

Some select quotes

"Do these guys just play games all day?"

"Do you think they want to play games when they go home after playing games?"

"Why does the one guy (Jeff) look so miserable"

"That one guy (Dan) is seriously all jazzed up. He's like, really excited"

"Hey you have that shirt! (Jeff's shirt)"

She's also laughing at a good chunk of what she's seeing.

I always love reading these sorts of impressions of GB from people who've never heard of them.

Johndoey

Banned
Rented Dishonored 2, not feeling it so far, level design seems good (to early to really tell), movement feels off, sluggish, combat still poor. Some frame rate issues. Post death loads are decently long, probably 15-20 seconds? The story set-up is sketchy as hell, don't like it at all. The audio is fucked right up, the positional audio is wonky.

KingKong

Have you missed the parts multiple times where he said part of the appeal of making Giant bomb was not to force the editors to play stuff they didn't want to play?

that would make their game of the year awards rather flawed then, wouldnt it? (and thats how I like it)

Ein Bear

If a game can't hold your interest enough to make you finish it, then that's a review in of itself. The whole 'You have to play for X hours before the game gets good' argument has always seemed dumb to me - video games are a leisure activity, you shouldn't have to work for your entertainment.

If a game can't hold your interest enough to make you finish it, then that's a review in of itself. The whole 'You have to play for X hours before the game gets good' argument has always seemed dumb to me - video games are a leisure activity, you shouldn't have to work for your entertainment.

I think that's not really at issue here, it's more that Jeff often doesn't even try a lot of the games. And there is something to be said for sticking with something even if the first few minutes don't immediately appeal to you. There's a difference between the FF13 problem of "this game takes 20 hours to get good but stick with it" and "give it an hour or two". Jeff ended up liking Bloodborne, although on his own he probably wouldn't have played it at all, or at least as much as he did.

Also, I think there's a difference between knowing what you like, and staying in your comfort zone because it's easy. Because there is so much entertainment, it can be tempting to dismiss something that doesn't immediately appeal to you because of its unfamiliarity. But I think in a lot of cases it can also be very rewarding (that's pretty much Patrick's relationship with the Souls games, for example).

You know what? GB should cover Tyranny.

It would probably make for a terrible QL because it's like 80% talking/adventuring and 20% combat, but I feel it's really something special so far.

neshcom

Banned
You know what? GB should cover Tyranny.

It would probably make for a terrible QL because it's like 80% talking/adventuring and 20% combat, but I feel it's really something special so far.

I think Jeff said Rorie is putting in time with it and they'll do something this(?) week.

oti

Banned
sounds like the games problem rather than jeffs if he'd rather play something else instead

I don't expect him to play through all of those games. But since GOTY is coming up and it's THE GB highlight every year, I'd like all of them to play as many 2016 games as possible. And I'm sure they try to do that. But how many times have we heard "I wish I had had more time so I could have played X"? And THEY'RE STREAMING FOR 24 HOURS. It makes total sense to pick ten games and play them for two hours each or something like that. It just makes for better discussions during the GOTY podcasts. Just a thought. Him playing old games for 24h is totally fine, he has to get through those 24h, not me. 😄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom