• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expectations have really flipped for Horizon in the past week now that actual information and footage is getting out. I hope there is some good stuff in there though.

That's hella neat.

Horizon overall seems really neat. I think I'm passing on it because I'm still in the middle of Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2 and Nioh and the Switch+Zelda is coming. I'm hoping later this year there's a PS4 Pro bundle with it packed in.

"Whoooa, that robo-dinosaur is hella crazy!"

Hearing Austin describe the game as self-serious, I'd kind of prefer her to talk like that.

6tuaPu3.gif
tumblr_m6a8uqluO81rpdd0lo1_500.gif

Oh my god. Its not only the voice acting.

Its the stiff reactions.

Its the "NO! DONT go" while theyre as stiff as a board

Its the horrendous facial animations

Its the complete wooden stances.

Not to mention that this guy is freaking out and outside of the intro to him, he stands and looks still while hes screaming about the voices.

Not to mention the "I must go noe" at the end, and the sister begs him to not go but 1 second later goes "well you did ok alloy. I guess Ill go now.".

Horrendous writing.

Oh man. This is going to be the Order 1882 all over again isnt it

I cant get over how bad the animations are in line with the voice acting. Woof.

I cant get over it.

Its brom saying "I must go" and edging out of the scene, but she goes "no dont do this" in the most apathetic way, and when it cuts back to Brom hes back in the middle even though the previous scene he was going past Aloy.

Its the complete 180 on Olaras mood after begging him not to go and her twitching her left arm like as if shes losing control and nudging aloy. "You did it, eh, ehhh" oh my god Im dying

TraBuch

Banned
the stilted ass cutscenes that look like they come from a bioware or bethesda game
But if it looks like it comes from a Bioware or Bethesda game, studios that make a lot of open-world games, how does it look like an open-world game made by a studio that makes only linear games?

That's not really something exclusive to open world games. The cutscene is bad even by linear game standards.

When I saw the facial work of the scene

I was instantly reminded of how Oblivion looked when those characters talked.

But my memory may be failing me, becausw I remember Oblivions faces having more personality and reaction in them. There is more personality and better animation portraying disgust in a guard saying "stop criminal scum" than there was in that whole Horizon scene.

robotrock

Banned
But if it looks like it comes from a Bioware or Bethesda game, studios that make a lot of open-world games, how does it look like an open-world game made by a studio that makes only linear games?

confused me as well but I think piston means a previously linear focused developer is taking notes from the biggest open world RPG devs for their first open world RPG?

also thank you TraBuch (and LiK) for the yakuza plugging. wouldn't have picked up Yakuza 0 if it weren't for you guys, and I had such a blast with it. great game

Catvoca

Banned
Are the people all robots, too? Is that the twist? Because they move and act like robots.

Lol if that actually ended up being the twist. I want to see the mental gymnastics people would go through to defend terrible animations because "they're actually foreshadowing that they're robots!"

But my memory may be failing me, becausw I remember Oblivions faces having more personality and reaction in them.

Well that's because it's not being framed as a cutscene or going for a cinematic approach. The faces and animation of those games might be stilted, but they were consistently stilted. And they had decent voice acting. When you have shit voice acting and stilted animations with more realistic looking characters and faces and they're framed in a cutscene, you get a terrible case of uncanny valley. It's a weird inconsistency of shit animations and real looking models and faces.

Hindl

That's apparently only one particularly bad scene, and the others are supposedly better. Story's probably gonna be bad anyway

Lol if that actually ended up being the twist. I want to see the mental gymnastics people would go through to defend terrible animations because "they're actually foreshadowing that they're robots!"

The main character's name is Alloy, so I'm beginning to think my dumb joke is correct.

Well that's because it's not being framed as a cutscene or going for a cinematic approach. The faces and animation of those games might be stilted, but they were consistently stilted. And they had decent voice acting. When you have shit voice acting and stilted animations with more realistic looking characters and faces and they're framed in a cutscene, you get a terrible case of uncanny valley. It's a weird inconsistency of shit animations and real looking models and faces.

Touche. Its New Generation graphics with old generation animations. Its laughably dreadful. Its a good thing the gameplay animations are much better because...my god. I would love it if all the cutscenes had that same level of jank.

Well, there is why this is terrible.

Damn Tails

We agree on something

TraBuch

Banned
confused me as well but I think piston means a previously linear focused developer is taking notes from the biggest open world RPG devs for their first open world RPG?

also thank you TraBuch (and LiK) for the yakuza plugging. wouldn't have picked up Yakuza 0 if it weren't for you guys, and I had such a blast with it. great game
It does my heart good to see Yakuza finally starting to catch on in the west.

Life is Strange had the voice direction that made you think that maybe English was the voice directors second language.

Quantic Dream games have it too. So do a lot of Final Fantasy games.

Like they get good actors but the way they deliver the lines or the takes that are put in the game just feel a bit off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom