• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only who think Rorie seems real defensive when manning the chat on UPF? It drives me crazy how he seems defensive whenever the person on the game asks for clarification and Rorie says "I don't know" and "Tha'ts just what they told me." and what not.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Also, like you mentioned, Beastcast's "energy" doesn't make it a good video game podcast. That's some YouTube nonsense. It's a really good "end of week let's fuck around and also touch on some video game related things" podcast, which is still very good. In that way I don't even think it's easy to compare the two, I feel they're so different at this point.
I'm certainly not keeping "score" here, but everyone on the Beastcast usually has atleast one game to talk about, usually more. That's really not the case for the Bombcast a lot of the time. It's not like they're just off-topic all the time.

Mupod

man i don't know how to play yakuza but i hope there's more environmental kills and takedowns that dan hasn't worked out how to do yet

there aren't tons of them, the main ones I've seen are throwing dudes into water and slamming heads in car doors. Most of the crazy heat actions are weapon based and for some reason he never goes for those. At least we got to see the box of nails.

There's definitely no shortage of them though. They're just tied to grapples, styles, AI companions, counterattacks etc.

hamchan

Here's the rub. The Beastcast was already better than the Bombcast when Bakalar joined. Then it reached god tier with Austin. Then it went down a bit when Austin left but now with Dan it's back to god tier. Beastcast number 1 podcast.

Catvoca

Banned
I like the Bombcast more but I'm not quite sure why. I just like listening to Jeff and Brad talk games more than anyone else I guess. I think because I listen to a lot of other comedy podcasts I don't feel like I need the goofy energetic Beastcast, whereas I don't listen to any other game podcasts (other than the occasional Waypoint one) so i appreciate still having the West crew to talk about games. My favourite Beastcasts where when Austin would be diving deep into a game or news story with Vinny or Jeff occasionally doing something goofy but not making that the focus of the show. When they started to do more improvy stuff they kinda lost me. There's no denying Bombcast has been dry as hell lately though.

oti

Banned
I agree that it could use some new blood, but I really don't think its necessary. Brad and Jeff make that podcast what it is because of their pedigree in this business. That's why I will continue to listen. This idea that just because they lost Dan it is suddenly a lost cause is so strange.

Also, like you mentioned, Beastcast's "energy" doesn't make it a good video game podcast. That's some YouTube nonsense. It's a really good "end of week let's fuck around and also touch on some video game related things" podcast, which is still very good. In that way I don't even think it's easy to compare the two, I feel they're so different at this point.

For me this has nothing to do with Dan. Dan should have all this experience in the industry, working for the only relevant print magazine for such a long time no less, but instead he makes stupid jokes and can't articulate his points at all.

Jeff is just in his little bubble of Jeff-ness that we all know and love, but it's bad for a podcast with discussions. From his ridiculous point about the PS4 Pro not going far enough and people just opting for a PC instead to some other opinions on the modern video game market. They might be his opinions but they aren't being challenged enough. And that's just boring at some point. Mix in that they seemingly don't prepare at all sometimes, don't know details about what they are talking about and aren't even looking the details up during the podcast, it just lacks enthusiasm and dynamics.

When Will Smith was on for instance I would've thought he as a tech guy would just know the tech details of the Switch and yet again nobody knew the key details for an interesting discussion.

It's still the podcast I'm listening to every week but sometimes I don't even finish it. And the Beastcast is something I'll listen when I remember to listen to it. It's not this automatic thing the Bombcast has been for me for years.

A podcast without Jeff can't be god tier. That's a fact

100% TRUE. I get super sad whenever he isn't on the podcast.

daveo42

Banned
Oh man...I thought about picking up the Linix kit for the PS2 in college. Didn't know anyone who actually went and bought one either. I had the weird idea of making my PS2 my actual computer as well. That thing was kinda nuts.

latest

Volotaire

Apparently Nintendo is selling a season pass of sorts for Breath of the Wild. That seems weird.

They've been doing this with some other games like MK8 and Fire Emblem, but it's odd to see additional content in a single player Zelda game.

I'm not a fan of them adding an additional hard mode in the first pack, however difficult the game may be when it is released.

It seems the second pack is where most of the value lies, with the additional story content and dungeon. Need some more details on what it actually involves to comment on the value of the package.

KingKong

it just makes me sad. its not even a good season pass

Immediately upon pre-purchase or purchase of the Expansion Pass, three new Treasure Chests will appear in the game’s Great Plateau area. One of these Treasure Chests will contain a shirt with a Nintendo Switch logo which Link can wear during his adventure, exclusive to the Expansion Pass. The other two Treasure Chests will deliver useful items. The first content pack is scheduled to launch this summer and will include the addition of a Cave of Trials challenge, a new hard mode and a new feature for the in-game map. The second content pack will launch in Holiday 2017, and adds new challenges that will let players enjoy a new dungeon and a new original story.

Dineren

Banned
I can only think of one season pass off the top of my head that was actually worth it. Doesn't sound like this will be changing that.

They've been doing this with some other games like MK8 and Fire Emblem, but it's odd to see additional content in a single player Zelda game.

I'm not a fan of them adding an additional hard mode in the first pack, however difficult the game may be when it is released.

It seems the second pack is where most of the value lies, with the additional story content and dungeon. Need some more details on what it actually involves to comment on the value of the package.

It's certainly vague. I hope it's an actual new story and not a side quest. I'm not sure what they mean by "New Map Feature". New area to explore, I suppose? Hopefully tied in to the new story?

I would have liked the Hard Mode to be available at launch.

Alucrid

Banned
alex seems to be the only one who can follow the thread of the story so far in yakuza

also some of the predictions have been hilariously on point

bigkrev

Harry Potter demo was amazing. Who thought that was a good idea?
Winning 11 looked surprisingly decent even by modern standards

TraBuch

Banned
alex seems to be the only one who can follow the thread of the story so far in yakuza

also some of the predictions have been hilariously on point
It'd probably help if they played it more than once a week so every time they start the game they're not like "Which guy is that?"

I'm glad they have two weekly podcasts. For years now, the bombcast hasn't been something I actively look forward to. More often I'll half listen to part of it and move on. Having another podcast that's markedly different from their main product is a good move and gives me confidence in the #brand. The beastcast doesn't make the bombcast obsolete, rather it supplements it.

I feel the bombcast needs another member that's like Jeff or Brad. Someone that is willing to say what's on their mind more often and can engage the crew in conversation easily. I like Jason and Drew, but they are not that.
Bombcast desperately needs someone with strong opinions and the interest in at least engaging in a debate about the things they discuss if they don't agree. It has been dominated by Jeff since Vinny left and it has become a chore to get through because of that. The format could really use a shake up but I doubt that will happen. One of the best things about the Beastcast is that they aren't bogged down by going through a checklist and the discussion feels more natural because of it.

I also really dislike that the show is now live. It has absolutely killed a lot of the discussion around the show and that has made it much less of a must follow for me. I used to read the GAF thread about the show before I was a member and got extra enjoyment out of that. Splitting the audience three ways has really eroded that element of it.
I like the Bombcast more but I'm not quite sure why. I just like listening to Jeff and Brad talk games more than anyone else I guess. I think because I listen to a lot of other comedy podcasts I don't feel like I need the goofy energetic Beastcast, whereas I don't listen to any other game podcasts (other than the occasional Waypoint one) so i appreciate still having the West crew to talk about games. My favourite Beastcasts where when Austin would be diving deep into a game or news story with Vinny or Jeff occasionally doing something goofy but not making that the focus of the show. When they started to do more improvy stuff they kinda lost me. There's no denying Bombcast has been dry as hell lately though.
Bombcast will still have value for me because of the news section and I value and respect Jeff and Brad's take and perspective on things but we went from 5 distinct voices at their peak to like 1.5.

robotrock

Banned
It'd probably help if they played it more than once a week so every time they start the game they're not like "Which guy is that?"

Since they'e going to attempt to do all the side stories, could see that becoming especially repetitive and boring for them if they did it more than once a week. Don't want them to get burnt out!

Meneses

The last couple Bombcasts where Rorie wasn't on have been alright.

Beastcast right now is in the best shape of its life, though.

repeater

I've enjoyed the recent Beastcasts, and it's vastly better than it was in the interim period before Dan joined, but it baffles me how many people think this era even holds a candle to the classic Beastles lineup. That was simply podcast magic on a weekly basic. But different strokes for different folks and all that. :)

daveo42

Banned
I remember seeing this Backdraft-style fireman game. Never knew it was so involved.

The last couple Bombcasts where Rorie wasn't on have been alright.

Beastcast has been in it's best shape since episode 0.

Mr. F

Banned
Hey all, I'll save you a few hours with this handy Build-a-Bombcast(tm) tool;

- "Ive been meaning to go back to/take a look at that"

- "I couldn't get into it at all. I was like yep, nope, I'm good"

- Jason feigns frustration at something nobody cares about, "fuckin XYZ man, it's bullshit"

- Brad throws out a half-true statement with conviction, Jeff gives his input, Brad says "huh I guess I could see that"

- News: "I think I saw somewhere that XYZ"

- "Moving on"

- Emails: state of E3, what's VR's barrier to mainstream success, is Switch the right move for Nintendo

Hey all, I'll save you a few hours with this handy Build-a-Bombcast(tm) tool;

- "Ive been meaning to go back to/take a look at that"

- "I couldn't get into it at all. I was like yep, nope, I'm good"

- Jason feigns frustration at something nobody cares about, "fuckin XYZ man, it's bullshit"

- Brad throws out a half-true statement with conviction, Jeff gives his input, Brad says "huh I guess I could see that"

- News: "I think I saw somewhere that XYZ"

- "Moving on"

- Emails: state of E3, what's VR's barrier to mainstream success, is Switch the right move for Nintendo

"I think I saw that on twitter, I didn't dig deeper into it."

I've enjoyed the recent Beastcasts, and it's vastly better than it was in the interim period before Dan joined, but it baffles me how many people think this era even holds a candle to the classic Beastles lineup. That was simply podcast magic on a weekly basic. But different strokes for different folks and all that. :)

This is the best Beastles lineup. Austin never really meshed well with them on the podcast and it was mainly in videos that he shined.

I was never on the beastcast is better than the bombcast bandwagon until this year. GbWest just feels stale all around in all of their content nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom