• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meneses

I've enjoyed the recent Beastcasts, and it's vastly better than it was in the interim period before Dan joined, but it baffles me how many people think this era even holds a candle to the classic Beastles lineup. That was simply podcast magic on a weekly basic. But different strokes for different folks and all that. :)

I much prefer the current lineup.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Yep, $25 was a bargain for the amount of content you get.

Honestly, 60$ is a bargain for the amount of content you get. Both DLCs combined add like 45 hours. It's probably the best DLC ever made. Blood&Wine could easily be it's own game.

I much prefer the current lineup.

Me too

It'd probably help if they played it more than once a week so every time they start the game they're not like "Which guy is that?"

It's always weird to me to see that, because I can remember everything. I'd rather forget what the name of that guy and remember everything I've learned for my recent exams instead.

Mr. F

Banned
I've enjoyed the recent Beastcasts, and it's vastly better than it was in the interim period before Dan joined, but it baffles me how many people think this era even holds a candle to the classic Beastles lineup. That was simply podcast magic on a weekly basic. But different strokes for different folks and all that. :)

I miss Austin's perspective on the Beastcast from time to time but Waypoint's podcast has kind of soured me on him as of late.

robotrock

Banned
the witcher 3 DLC started coming out like 6 months after I finished the game and I forgot just about how everything worked.

really would like to go back to it but the only way I think I can do it is to play it with the "fresh start" option for each piece of DLC

Valtýr

Somehow Waypoint has made Patrick and Danielle boring as well. That site needs a bullet put in it, I think.

jeeze you sound like such an unpleasant person.

Waypoint is a wildly different perspective and approach to games media but sure, let's go ahead and shut it down because it doesn't appeal to your specific interests.

I enjoy both podcasts but I do enjoy the Beastcast more. They just have more synergy right now. It is definitely a highlight of the week. I hope GBWest gets a new hire soon, someone energetic who meshes well with them and can add a new perspective to encourage more discussion.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honestly though i actually thought the recent waypoint podcasts were good. Today's one was really interesting.

They're unabashedly leftist though, so that might turn a few people off. I do enjoy them entwining politics with their discussions but it's not for everyone.

ZeroCoin

Ran out of bombcast content for my commute and pulled down a waypoint episode. Really made me miss Austin. Trading Austin for Dan was the scam of the century. The food, the regular guy stuff, the reading...Just rough. I've never been an Alex fan, but I've definitely come around more on that front. I don't think that'll ever be the case with Dan.

Rorie just seems like a wet blanket when he's on the podcast as well. Never seems to relax and gel with the rest of the group.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Valtýr;230297908 said:
jeeze you sound like such an unpleasant person.

Waypoint is a wildly different perspective and approach to games media but sure, let's go ahead and shut it down because it doesn't appeal to your specific interests.
It's a bad way of putting it, but I liked Patrick and Danielle on their former podcasts and this new http://bastionfucks.com/ podcast is a bit disappointing for some reason. I think they've gotten better, though.

my goal is to have gerstmann call me out in front of thousands of people
That's what his tumblr is for

Mr. F

Banned
Honestly though i actually thought the recent waypoint podcasts were good. Today's one was really interesting.

They're unabashedly leftist though, so that might turn a few people off. I do enjoy them entwining politics with their discussions but it's not for everyone.

I don't mind the basis that the podcast is built on, but the dynamic is absolutely mind numbing sometimes. I don't know what happened with Danielle as I've enjoyed her on other podcasts but the show has reduced her to a "haha yep, awww hahaha, hahh aawww good, yeah great, good" machine and it's grating to listen to after a while.

And as has been mentioned before Austin is a bad host, and the show too rarely does anything interesting with its views and merely becomes a circle of people agreeing with each other for an hour, which isn't inherently interesting.

repeater

This is the best Beastles lineup. Austin never really meshed well with them on the podcast and it was mainly in videos that he shined.
Disagree completely. I enjoyed his contributions on camera, but he was great on the podcast as well. In my opinion, he meshed better with the Beast crew than (ironically) he does with the rest of Waypoint Radio, the dynamics and chemistry were just perfect.

I miss Austin's perspective on the Beastcast from time to time but Waypoint's podcast has kind of soured me on him as of late.
This is exactly the thing: Waypoint Radio is fine, but I feel like the three of them are just too similarly minded for there to be any interesting kind of dynamics to the discussions. They always agree about virtually everything, there is no real back and forth, and even when they do have apparently clashing viewpoints it's always couched in this overtly conciliatory way, which prevents them from really digging deeper into the disagreement. When Austin was on the Beastcast, where his co-casters were not as knowledgeable or interested in the political and cultural issues around gaming, that resulted in a much more interesting dynamic from both sides.

robotrock

Banned
idk what good comes from getting a dude on the total opposite side of the spectrum like colin but maybe a good neutral person who asks stuff like "why does brexit suck, explain it to me like i am five" would be a good get

This is exactly the thing: Waypoint Radio is fine, but I feel like the three of them are just too similarly minded for there to be any interesting kind of dynamics to the discussions. They always agree about virtually everything, there is no real back and forth, and even when they do have apparently clashing viewpoints it's always couched in this overtly conciliatory way, which prevents them from really digging deeper into the disagreement. When Austin was on the Beastcast, where his co-casters were not as knowledgeable or interested in the political and cultural issues around gaming, that resulted in a much more interesting dynamic from both sides.

I don't think it did. It mostly led to discussions where Austin talked and every just agreed with him because they weren't willing or able to engage. The old beastcast had way too much of that "everyone agrees and slaps each others backs" feel. The lack of real discourse made their forays into serious discussion boring.

So what you're saying is that waypoint should have Colin moriarty as a regular guest.

images%2Farticle%2F2014%2F10%2F17%2Fsweet%2Bdee%2Bdry%2Bheave%2B2.gif

Meneses

I've never listened to Waypoint podcast but I think people shouldn't expect it to be like every other podcast in the world, it's good that they're doing their own thing.

Kinda like when people complain that the Beastcast is too goofy sometimes. I don't want to listen to 2 podcasts saying the exact same things but with different people speaking (they kinda end up doing that anyway, but they usually spend more time goofing around).

Danielle on Waypointcast feels like when you really don't wanna be texting with someone but they keep texting you long-ass paragraphs so you just send back "haha yep :)" "aww" "oh nice"

Flipyap

I don't mind the basis that the podcast is built on, but the dynamic is absolutely mind numbing sometimes. I don't know what happened with Danielle as I've enjoyed her on other podcasts but the show has reduced her to a "haha yep, awww hahaha, hahh aawww good, yeah great, good" machine and it's grating to listen to after a while.
That was always an issue on Idle Thumbs. The only reason she had a bit more to say on that podcast was because the dudes basically stopped playing video games and had to ask Danielle to explain everything to them.
It was the prototypical We're Too Old For Our Own Podcast podcast.

repeater

I've never listened to Waypoint podcast but I think people shouldn't expect it to be like every other podcast in the world, it's good that they're doing their own thing.
I agree, and like I said, I do enjoy it with some reservations. And I'm sure there are people out there for whom Waypoint Radio is the best and most essential thing they've ever heard. It's just that for me personally I had huge expectations for it considering the three regulars are all people whose work I've enjoyed immensely, but somehow it feels like it's less than the sum of its parts. Again: for me.

If you could choose one game, GB has never played, for GB to play what game would you pick?

Mine woud be Ratatoullie for the PS3. It's the only game-gen (and this gen) I quit because it was too difficult. Reason being because there is alot of tightrope walking and you could only use the controller to tilt left and right and falling is death and reload. No d-pad or left/right on the sticks. I made it 2-3 levels in.

61z66HwdHGL.jpg

I had a soft spot for that game. I think I played through it twice. There was one section where you're sliding through pipes in the sewer that gave me a really tough time.

I should find that game again.

Meneses

I haven't listened to it in a while due to podcast backlog, but Crate & Crowbar?

I listened to it for a while, and enjoyed it but eventually got a bit bored and stopped.

The used to (still do?) have the creator of Gunpoint as a regular (Tom Francis, if i'm not mistaken) and he was cool.

Strax

This is the best Beastles lineup. Austin never really meshed well with them on the podcast and it was mainly in videos that he shined.

Funny, I thought the reverse.

Contradiction
NHL 16
Ultimate Chicken Horse
NBA 2K16
Gemini: Heroes Reborn
American Truck Simulator

These are the only QLs Austin was on I enjoy and none of them were because of him.
I did however like him during every podcast and E3 talk over stuff.

daveo42

Banned
Waypoint podcasts actually seem somewhat boring to me overall. I keep downloading them, but have basically stopped listening to them in the past few weeks. Maybe it's too much Austin and not enough Patrick/Rotating Chair input? Idk, it could benefit from a longer form so you could actually have some more indepth conversation about issues and not gloss over most stuff. I was happy tho...with their GR2 comments.

I will say that the constant hashtags and repeating the same alternate urls for their website all the damn time gets irritating. Like, yeah we know digitalpyramids.zone hahaha!!!

So what you're saying is that waypoint should have Colin moriarty as a regular guest.

Nobody really wants that tho.

I listened to it for a while, and enjoyed it but eventually got a bit bored and stopped.

The used to (still do?) have the creator of Gunpoint as a regular (Tom Francis, if i'm not mistaken) and he was cool.

Yeah, I was on when it was born as a continuation of the PC Gamer UK podcast, so a lot of at least the initial crew were current/ex PCG guys, Tom included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom