• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danielle is a EMT but even she cant save all those dead jokes on Waypoint Radio.

tumblr_inline_mg8b9r3txt1r4lbod.gif

I got jokes! The podcast is fine. I have it just in case I need something but its totally not in the regular rotation.

Also fun Demo Derby. Brad was there and did Brad things. That harry potter demo. Boy. They sure didnt want to give shit away.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Get married at Taco Bell for $600
Taco Bell is opening a chapel in its Las Vegas Strip Cantina location and has put together an entire wedding package couples can order right off the menu.

It includes a Taco Bell garter, bow tie, sauce packet wedding bouquet, “Just Married” T-shirts, Taco Bell Champagne flutes and a Cinnabon Delights wedding cake. Your first meal as newlyweds will be a Taco 12-Pack.

Scizzy

I missed the morning discussion, but I've been thinking a lot about the podcasts so I'm dumping all my thoughts.

Both podcasts are good. I prefer the Bombcast, but I get why people are a bit tired of it.

Drew has been great lately and I've really liked the relatively small number of Bombcasts with Jeff/Drew/Brad/whoever since the new year. Last week's episode with the Halo lore talk, Nioh discussion, UI analysis, and even clicker talk was fantastic.

I'm not sure what the best era of the Beastcast is. The current one has jettisoned my least favorite of the Austin-era staples, the endless silly voices and impressions. But we've also lost all the serious discussions of labor and identity issues, which were my favorite parts of the old era. So it's something of a wash.

I missed the morning discussion, but I've been thinking a lot about the podcasts so I'm dumping all my thoughts.

Both podcasts are good. I prefer the Bombcast, but I get why people are a bit tired of it.

Drew has been great lately and I've really liked the relatively small number of Bombcasts with Jeff/Drew/Brad/whoever since the new year. Last week's episode with the Halo lore talk, Nioh discussion, UI analysis, and even clicker talk was fantastic.

I'm not sure what the best era of the Beastcast is. The current one has jettisoned my least favorite of the Austin-era staples, the endless silly voices and impressions. But we've also lost all the serious discussions of labor and identity issues, which were my favorite parts of the old era. So it's something of a wash.

good news: if you want the classic Austin making astute points and everyone else agreeing with him without adding much of their own to the conversation, Waypoint has a podcast for you

You haven't watched it yet

shut up I'm a half hour in

BearPawB

Banned
It isn't Austin's fault he is consistently smarter than everyone around him by a significant degree.

And that isn't a diss to anyone.

Austin is a really sharp guy, who makes his points with conviction. Trying to argue with someone smarter then you is always a bad idea

popo

LTTP, but that Monument Valley bit in House of Cards was weird as all hell. Did people react to it at the time? (about 2 years ago I guess).

BearPawB

Banned
This is a strange and not accurate at all thing to say.

I phrased myself poorly.

I meant in the context of a podcast.

Dan trying to argue about anything with Austin is a fools errand.
So I understand why people might to want to do it. You argue with someone that articulate and they can very easily make you look like a fool

I phrased myself poorly.

Dan trying to argue about anything with Austin is a fools errand

Dan wasn't even on a regular podcast with Austin. If you're going to argue that Vinny, Alex, Patrick, or Danielle are too dumb to engage with Austin then I don't think you understand why those discussions tend to stagnate.

I phrased myself poorly.

Dan trying to argue about anything with Austin is a fools errand.
So I understand why people might to want to do it. You argue with someone that articulate and they can very easily make you look like a fool

Podcasts arent arguments tho

Theyre discussions. The critique people give waypoints casts is that theyre boring. That can happen when you have an overbearing voice who says things in a matter of fact way and leaves little room for discussion.

Also the best podcast was when Austin and Dan were on the beastcast. So its not a matter of intelligence.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It isn't Austin's fault he is consistently smarter than everyone around him by a significant degree.

Austin is a really sharp guy, who makes his points with conviction. Trying to argue with someone smarter then you is always a bad idea
Yeah I disagree with both of those things. He does make his points, though. Sure.

BearPawB

Banned
Podcasts arent arguments tho

Theyre discussions. The critique people give waypoints casts is that theyre boring. That can happen when you have an overbearing voice who says things in a matter of fact way and leaves little room for discussion.

Also the best podcast was when Austin and Dan were on the beastcast. So its not a matter of intelligence.

Holy shit, yall are misunderstanding what i am saying.

I was specifically talking about why people don't often challenge him verbally, that is all.
Because I think he is someone that is really hard to spar with.

I wasn't saying Dan and Austin aren't a great pair, They clearly were!

I wasn't saying that waypoint is boring becaues austin is smart. and everyone is dumb. Someone brought up that austin goes unchallenged, and I was stating why I think it is hard to challenge him. Because he is so persuasive

Catvoca

Banned

I was specifically talking about why people don't often challenge him verbally, that is all.

Are you saying Austin would win in a rap battle?

Podcasts arent about challenging each other constantly though.

People are saying waypoints podcasts are boring. That has nothing to do with Austins intelligence, nor does it have to do with the amount of challenging.

It has nothing to do with austins intelligence.

Strax

I often go back and forth with myself on if I should, in general, comment on anything about GB duders that's at best tangentially related to their work. Like looks, smarts etc.
Because while I've spent more time with them then many of my friends they aren't my friends, well at least not yet, so it often feels off and sometimes it doesn't. Even if it's only saying nice things.

BearPawB

Banned
Podcasts arent about challenging each other constantly though.

People are saying waypoints podcasts are boring. That has nothing to do with Austins intelligence, nor does it have to do with the amount of challenging.

It has nothing to do with austins intelligence.

I didn't say it did
I don't see why you keep saying i am talking about the podcasts being boring.
I wasn't.
You are having a different conversation than I am

I often go back and forth with myself on if I should, in general, comment on anything about GB duders that's at best tangentially related to their work. Like looks, smarts etc.
Because while I've spent more time with them then many of my friends they aren't my friends, well at least not yet, so it often feels off and sometimes it doesn't. Even if it's only nice things.
Yup.
It's a weird one sided time-spending absorbing the thoughts of one or more people thing.

BearPawB

Banned
Because while I've spent more time with them then many of my friends they aren't my friends, well at least not yet, so it often feels off and sometimes it doesn't. Even if it's only saying nice things.

It is a weird relationship thing that a lot of us experienced when Ryan passed.
This weird closeness at the same time being about as distant as two people can be

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

I wasn't saying that waypoint is boring becaues austin is smart. and everyone is dumb. Someone brought up that austin goes unchallenged, and I was stating why I think it is hard to challenge him. Because he is so persuasive
Well, you obviously think very highly of Austin, but the way I see it is that he likes to structure all of his talking points like an article he's writing. Everything has an introduction and a conclusion and then there's just nothing left to say. Sure, creating a convincing argument is a sign of intelligence, but that's just not good podcasting. And just because others don't do it doesn't mean they can't keep up. I've yet to see how he outsmarts everyone when it's not about an issue he specifically cares about more than others.

I've yet to see how he outsmarts everyone when it's not about an issue he specifically cares about more than others.

I think Austin is smart enough not to try to make arguments about something he can't speak intelligently on. He's a sharp, articulate guy, and picks his battles. I think you're right that he structures his talking points in a very specific way though, that doesn't leave very much room, but I think he just kinda does that naturally when it's a subject that he knows and cares about a lot. I can't see him rehearsing talks for a podcast, y'know?

Anyway I came in here to say the guy who did a Best of P4 ER series is doing one on DP now. I never saw the Brad/Ryan run and seeing the best bits picked in a video kinda makes me think I don't need to. Even the best parts are Brad being like, 2009-ass Brad, when he was even lower-key than now.

BearPawB

Banned
Well, you obviously think very highly of Austin, but the way I see it is that he likes to structure all of his talking points like an article he's writing. Everything has an introduction and a conclusion and then there's just nothing left to say. Sure, creating a convincing argument is a sign of intelligence, but that's just not good podcasting. And just because others don't do it doesn't mean they can't keep up. I've yet to see how he outsmarts everyone when it's not about an issue he specifically cares about more than others.

Again, i was not talking about what does or doesn't make a good podcast

I agree with you though, He comes from an academic background and I think that has coated every aspect of his thinking. He often brings up, and fully answers a question before anyone else gets a word in.
He's very verbose.And isn't satisfied until he has fully made his point. Which if you go to a podcast for conversations, I think you would leave a waypoint podcast pretty disappointed.

I think Austin would be great doing like a "Waypoint Gaming 20-Minutes" where he just gives a 20 minute passionate speech on a topic.
I would listen to the shit out of that.

And I really don't think it is a diss to Danielle or Patrick, I think highly of both of them.

Meneses

Anyway I came in here to say the guy who did a Best of P4 ER series is doing one on DP now. I never saw the Brad/Ryan run and seeing the best bits picked in a video kinda makes me think I don't need to. Even the best parts are Brad being like, 2009-ass Brad, when he was even lower-key than now.

I might actually watch these because the full ER is pretty boring.

Nero18

Felt like there were some moment during his time with the beastcast were people would challenge Austin and it almost sounded as if he made statements just because the sake of it would actually having anything to back it up with, which i totally get easily happens when you spend so much time with podcasts and he is really smart. Of the top of my head, remember the Youtube discussion were they talked about Youtubes guidlines for what is defendable in court regarding DMCAs or something. Their discussions about The Witness also steered in that direction.

pizzacat

Banned

Its a real meeting of the minds when they argue whos more fuckable in ow and then say the robot to not offend anyone

BearPawB

Banned
Its a real meeting of the minds when they argue whos more fuckable in ow and then say the robot to not offend anyone

haha touche.

Anyways, I clearly failed to make my own point articulately.
Didn't mean to sound like I was insulting anyone!
All I meant to suggest was that Austin is a good orator (which yes in turn makes him difficult in a conversational podcast)

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Look guys, I liked Austin. I'm sure he is a smart guy. But some people here always act like he was freaking Einstein and I don't get it. I'm not saying he is dumb or anything, but where exactly did this idea that Austin is just leagues and leagues ahead of anybody come from? I certainly never got that feeling from the Beastcast.

Don't try and tell me he got Invisible Inc on the Top 10 because of his super intelligent arguments with which he dazzled everybody in the room.

Look guys, I liked Austin. I'm sure he is a smart guy. But some people here always act like he was freaking Einstein and I don't get it. I'm not saying he is dumb or anything, but where exactly did this idea that Austin is just leagues and leagues ahead of anybody come from? I certainly never got that feeling from the Beastcast.

probably because when he would chip in with something clever or deep it would frequently be met with verbal nods. which is also why those conversations were kind of dead weight on the podcast - not because of content but because of how much they'd frequently flop.

Lunar FC

Bruh! Let's take this game that has no political or cultural message whatsoever and dive deep into it's hidden undertones of race and class.

Meguro

Banned
Bruh! Let's take this game that has no political or cultural message whatsoever and dive deep into it's hidden undertones of race and class.

Super Mario Bros. has a political message, "bruh".
For the record, I'm not gonna get involved in what I think is a dumb discussion but this argument is garbage and always has been.
Games are art and therefore have things to say, whetever that's intended or not.

Scizzy

Austin had a few things going for him that the others on the Beastcast didn't. His academic training gave him a better command of certain kinds of language and his experience leading classes helped him speak more authoritatively. He also thought a lot more about social justice and labor issues than the others. All the guys on the Beastcast, I think, are pretty clearly smart guys, but Austin was probably better at expressing his intelligence in some ways.

He's certainly a smart dude, but I think the idea that Austin is leagues smarter than any of his peers comes from the way he speaks. While his thoughts aren't always concise, they're usual very thorough and he's also very eloquent compared to a lot of people. When he's done making a statement, there's really not much else to say about the subject, so there's really no room for anyone to add anything other than, "yeah, I agree."

I really like Austin, and I like what he brings to the table. I don't always like the content on Waypoint, but I don't have to like everything. I have a whole lot of respect for the dude and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Zornack

Super Mario Bros. has a political message, "bruh".
For the record, I'm not gonna get involved in what I think is a dumb discussion but this argument is garbage and always has been.
Games are art and therefore have things to say, whetever that's intended or not.

If it's not intended then it's not a message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom