• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I thought you were just hiding the url but Waypoint actually bought that domain?
Don't listen to him, just go to http://new.donk.city

He's certainly a smart dude, but I think the idea that Austin is leagues smarter than any of his peers comes from the way he speaks. He's very eloquent and concise compared to a lot of people. When he's done making a statement, there's really not much else to say about the subject, so there's really no room for anyone to add anything other than, "yeah, I agree."

I really like Austin, and I like what he brings to the table. I don't always like the content on Waypoint, but I don't have to like everything. I have a whole lot of respect for the dude and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Concise? Come on

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Bruh! Let's take this game that has no political or cultural message whatsoever and dive deep into it's hidden undertones of race and class.

I know you are joking and all, but even that's...like...it doesn't take a genius to see that The Division had some troubling messaging if you look really close. ALL Tom Clancy games have those message, some more overt than others. It's not like you need to be super smart to see that. It's just that the rest of the crew cared way less about that stuff than Austin did. That's not a bad thing, but it also doesn't make him "smarter than everybody by a significant degree".
I'm not even saying he wasn't smarter than everybody else. Maybe he was. I just never got that impression, and I don't understand where it comes from

ohdeeralpha.gif

retool the Old Games Show as Drew bringing in his Framemeister and playing his childhood video game collection with the rest of the West Coast crew

and yeah you can call it Drew Scanline now shut up

But it *is* a message? So it can be a message, however unintentional, but it can't have political meaning? How does that work?

If I throw can of paint onto a wall

Call it the "red splatter portraying how messy love is"

Someone else looks at it and says its about the foibles of government

A psuedo intellectual decides to run with that

Its making a chicken out of a feather. Im not saying it cant be a political message, but warping logic until it reaches that political message is disingenuous. I can make a kit kat bar about communism if I wanted to, it doesnt mean that we should discuss the political inclinations of kit kat bars with any gravitas.

Meguro

Banned
That implies that writing and making games is as random and undeliberate a thing as throwing a can of paint at a wall.
It's quite frankly a really bad comparison.
Creators always put more of themselves and their politics into the thing they make than they themselves realize.
Just read Lolita and then read Nabokovs little wrapup at the end of the book for a perfect example of this.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I agree with you, but can we can agree that you can absolutely read too much into games? Like the "Mario is about the working class trying to escape from the clutches of a monarchy but they plans are foiled by one of their own, showing that the working class will ultimately turn on each other" shit?

That implies that writing and making games is as random and undeliberate a thing as throwing a can of paint at a wall.
It's quite frankly a really bad comparison.
Creators always put more of themselves and their politics into the thing they make than they themselves realize.
Just read Lolita and then read Nabokovs little wrapup at the end of the book for a perfect example of this.

To use a better example

Making a game about a plumber who saves the princess is just that. Heck even Gangnam Style had tryhards saying the song was about the plight of spending money and about the economy.

Theres always going to be blowhards trying to extract things that arent there. Ie making a chicken out of a feather. To say "well the person who made a thing believes in politics therefore that influenced him m i rite" is disingenuous. Its the death of the author when a creator goes "no this doesnt mean X" while people are screaming "yes it does mean x", no thats just projection of what the arguee wants it to mean.

Meguro

Banned
I agree with you, but can we can agree that you can absolutely read too much into games? Like the "Mario is about the working class trying to escape from the clutches of a monarchy but they plans are foiled by one of their own, showing that the working class will ultimately turn on each other" shit?

I mean, there's always gonna be bad reads of things.
That doesn't mean there's no such thing as an unintended political message, because there is for sure.

Meneses

Man, I really miss PS2 era Winning Eleven / Pro Evo, it definitely was way better than Fifa back then.

A PS2 classics release would be instabuy from me.

Shame that they didn't manage a smooth transition to PS3 / Full analog. I still prefer their old 8 (I think?) direction movement style.

I mean, there's always gonna be bad reads of things.
That doesn't mean there's no such thing as an unintended political message, because there is for sure.

Ive seen people argue that Mario is for Communism

I cant take people who extract "unintentional" political messages from games serious. Like its one thing if its The Tomorrow Children with their aesthetics and gameplay having communistic messages and extrapolating from that, but saying Mario always wearing red with a mustache and the flag with a star in the end is a pro Stalin message

Ugh

Its the death of the author when a creator goes "no this doesnt mean X" while people are screaming "yes it does mean x", no thats just projection of what the arguee wants it to mean.

That is not what "death of the author", which is an actual lens of critical theory, means at all. I also highly doubt whoever you saw say once that Mario is about communism was serious, but people say all kinds of things, so who knows. Anyway, "someone made a bad read once" is not exactly a great argument against anything.

At any rate none of this has anything to do with Austin. If you think The Division, which is what this seems to be about, has no political (intentional or otherwise) undertones at all, despite numerous pieces having been written about this, that only says something about you.

That is not what "death of the author", which is an actual lens of critical theory, means at all. I also highly doubt whoever you saw say once that Mario is about communism was serious, but people say all kinds of things, so who knows. Anyway, "someone made a bad read once" is not exactly a great argument against anything.

At any rate none of this has anything to do with Austin. If you think The Division, which is what this seems to be about, has no political (intentional or otherwise) undertones at all, despite numerous pieces having been written about this, that only says something about you.

Ive seen people argue that the division has an anti capitalistic message because money is what spread the bad thing on the bigges capitalistic day of the year

I laugh at that Im sorry. The divisions super secret hidden message: money is bad and so is capitalism.

Google

They all left, haven't they? I wanted to recommend it and then I got sad.

Man...Videogamer 2 years ago was incredible.

I think I randomly got turned onto them the Christmas Alien came out. When was that? 2014? Yeah - so I remember listening to their podcast on the lead up to Christmas 2014 and they were on fire.

Chris Bratt was still there and was doing a great job of being incredibly cute and innocent while being an authority on hardcore PC games. Dave was being the pop-culture, funny guy who was big into the big games at the time and could talk from an enthusiasts point of view about the Call of Dutys of the month. Burns was on fire before he went full kayfabe. I really enjoyed him before he went full into the character of Burns and stopped being Stephen Burns. I liked his ability to talk about games without getting bowled over by marketing hype.

It's sad seeing what they've turned into now. What the fuck happened over there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom