• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phediuk

5/13/2008 Bombcast: Doom 4 was announced.

Ryan wants it to be made in the original Doom engine, and Jeff just wants it to be a WAD.

Right after that, Ryan says he wants a Super Mario Bros. 4, and both he and Jeff agree that it should not include Yoshi.

Xater

Thanks to Alex and Pope my timeline is now filled with Ska. Can we just agree that Ska sucks and move on with our lives?

Zaph

I hear Last Guardian is good

yet every single time someone talks about it nothing about it sounds appealing.

Yeah, trying to talk about that game makes it sound like the most tedious shit ever. And it kinda is.

But even with all its faults, I enjoyed it immensely. One of those games where the longer its been, the more you remember liking it (probably because you forget how much you had to fight the controls).

Phediuk

In the 5/13/2008 Bombcast, Jeff says he'd really like a Heat game, but he envisions it as a team-based online multiplayer game, rather than an offline single-player thing like the bank heist in GTA4.

Fast-forward several years, Payday 2 comes out and he didn't like it at all.

I really wish I didn't spend $60 on The Last Guardian.

Game is the definition of the perfect weekend rental for me, short-ish game with some neat moments that I have no desire to go back to after my one playthrough.

What if EviLore was the new hire?

Well then they could just ignore his presence like they did at the E3 2013 Aftershow ;p (Alex was really the only one that tried to bring him into conversations)

(Seriously though, that segment was legendary with Adam Boyes bringing EviLore an early copy of The Last of Us and bringing a DualShock 4 after Microsoft brought the XB1 controller AND then he brought out the PS4)

Brashnir

In the 5/13/2008 Bombcast, Jeff says he'd really like a Heat game, but he envisions it as a team-based online multiplayer game, rather than an offline single-player thing like the bank heist in GTA4.

Fast-forward several years, Payday 2 comes out and he didn't like it at all.

It seems like a better idea in your head. When it hits the real world of game design, and it basically has to be a repetitive grind, all the appeal of the movie is gone.

Bank heists work in movies because there are implied stakes. Characters in the movie can't just reload and retry, and they certainly aren't going to run the same heist over and over ad nauseum.

Hitman's elusive targets might be an interesting jumping-off point for a heist game, but it still seems developmentally difficult, since even Hitman works off of a repeatable map, and there would have to be repeatable grind content in there because you can't sell a game based on one single-attempt mission a month.

TLG seems like a game that should have come out 8 years ago. Gotten the same reaction it got now and been seen as the still worthwhile but weaker of the 3 Team Ico games and then that team learned their lesson and went on to make something better

I guess you didn't feel that way about SOTC and Ico?

I didn't play ICO but I enjoyed SotC (at least at the time, been a decade since I've played) for the way each boss was sort of its own puzzle to figure out; I found it compelling from a gameplay standpoint despite the clumsy controls.

I like the atmosphere of the setting in Last Guardian but found all the "puzzles" (basically a series of "how do I get out of this room and to the next") to be kinda bland. Game relied on you forming a bond with Trico, I just can't connect with all the people posting in threads here about how they cried at the end, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom