• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

In the 5/6/2008 Bombcast:

Jeff: "I think it'd be cool if a new X-COM came out and mattered like the first two did."
Ryan: "I don't think that'll ever happen."
Jeff: "I think you're probably right."
Ryan: "I think that was a 'moment in time' kinda thing."
Jeff: "It'll probably be the sort of thing you see with Fallout, they'll announce, you know, if they're actually working on this, they'll announce the X-COM game, it will be vastly different than what the, the first couple of games were, and as a result, everyone will turn on it and go, 'This is evil, you're ruining the--the series has been ruined.'"

Spot on about the fan reaction to the thing that became The Bureau. I'm glad Firaxis came through for us.

Honestly the way I envisioned a modern (as in early 2010s) X-COM reboot was actualyl kind of similar to how the Firaxis game came out. I pictured it more as turn based Gears of War as a way to try and market to the console shooter crowd though. And they defied all my expectations, I remember thinking there was no way we'd get proper base management or destructibility.

Phediuk

The 5/6/2008 Bombcast marks the first time that Ryan read out an e-mail question that had already been answered on a previous Bombcast.

The question was, "Since GTA3 was followed by Vice City and San Andreas, do you think Rockstar will follow up GTA4 with GTA4: Vice City and GTA4: San Andreas?" Neither of the guys noticed that they had answered this question before, and Jeff even interjected with the same "Well, you know, GTA1 already had Vice City and San Andreas, so GTA3 wasn't even the first to follow that pattern" comment that he had made maybe one month earlier.

LiK

The 5/6/2008 Bombcast marks the first time that Ryan read out an e-mail question that had already been answered on a previous Bombcast.

The question was, "Since GTA3 was followed by Vice City and San Andreas, do you think Rockstar will follow up GTA4 with GTA4: Vice City and GTA4: San Andreas?" Neither of the guys noticed that they had answered this question before, and Jeff even interjected with the same "Well, you know, GTA1 already had Vice City and San Andreas, so GTA3 wasn't even the first to follow that pattern" comment that he had made maybe one month earlier.

i await you reaching some of my emails from way back. hee hee

FStop7

Banned

Jeff: "I think it'd be cool if a new Syndicate came out and mattered like the first two did."
Jeff: "It'll probably be the sort of thing you see with Fallout, they'll announce, you know, if they're actually working on this, they'll announce the Syndicate game, it will be vastly different than what the, the first couple of games were, and as a result, everyone will turn on it and go, 'This is evil, you're ruining the--the series has been ruined.'"

There I fixed it!

Jeff: "I think it'd be cool if a new X-COM came out and mattered like the first two did."
Jeff: "It'll probably be the sort of thing you see with Fallout, they'll announce, you know, if they're actually working on this, they'll announce the X-COM game, it will be vastly different than what the, the first couple of games were, and as a result, everyone will turn on it and go, 'This is evil, you're ruining the--the series has been ruined.'"

I listen to a ton of those 08 Casts last year on road trips and the number of times this sorta thing happened was staggering.

Alex is just plowing through this game.

i await you reaching some of my emails from way back. hee hee

I do remember that from way back when, it's great that you still send emails haha. I myself am never interested in sending emails(I did only once) and am mostly just in it to hear the duders.

I wish GB would sacrifice some bitrate for their premium SD streams. My internet right now is a tad too slow to watch without buffering every 10 seconds or so. However, I can watch Youtube 480p fine.

Mupod

Remember how Super Castlevania IV was really good, but super fucking easy? That's what Mega Man 2 is.

Mega Man 3 is Rondo.

It's funny, I always thought of SCIV as a super hard game. Its controls just never clicked with me whereas I do fine in other CV games. I found Dracula X easier, except maybe the bullshit Dracula fight.

LiK

Alex is just plowing through this game.

I do remember that from way back when, it's great that you still send emails haha. I myself am never interested in sending emails(I did only once) and am mostly just in it to hear the duders.

Kinda gave up now. I still send some but getting read on the show is pretty rare now. Happy I got read on Bombcast and Beastcast last year tho. So I guess I filled my quota. :p

Not sure if you listened to Hotspot way back. Danny O'Dwyer and I sent emails like almost every week and got read often there. That was fun times.

Spirits Within is one of the best sci-fi films ever made hella.

I don't know about the best but I really enjoyed it.
It shouldn't have had the name FF on it.

Kinda gave up now. I still send some but getting read on the show is pretty rare now. Happy I got read on Bombcast and Beastcast last year tho. So I guess I filled my quota. :p

Not sure if you listened to Hotspot way back. Danny O'Dwyer and I sent emails like almost every week and got read often there. That was fun times.

I did but not consistently back in the day because I was living on dial-up so, you could imagine the hell I went through for a while but I managed. It's a blur now though so I don't remember your or Danny's emails.

damn, Alex got telefragged hard by the Cyberdragon, ouch

zxtbl7e.gif

LiK

I don't know about the best but I really enjoyed it.
It shouldn't have had the name FF on it.

I did but not consistently back in the day because I was living on dial-up so, you could imagine the hell I went through for a while but I managed. It's a blur now though so I don't remember your or Danny's emails.

ouch

pizzacat

Banned
Spot on about the fan reaction to the thing that became The Bureau. I'm glad Firaxis came through for us.

Honestly the way I envisioned a modern (as in early 2010s) X-COM reboot was actualyl kind of similar to how the Firaxis game came out. I pictured it more as turn based Gears of War as a way to try and market to the console shooter crowd though. And they defied all my expectations, I remember thinking there was no way we'd get proper base management or destructibility.
The first person one that became bureau seemed up my alley thoooo :[

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The FPS looked far, far more interesting than The Bureau. Cool looking 50s Men In Black FPS with detective work vs generic third person tacked on strategy elements against pretty generic aliens

Zaph

Is Jeff attending the Switch event in NY? I could see him being on the Beastcast talking about it.

Nah, he said he's out during that time. Unlikely we'll get anything live either - hopefully they leave the Beastcast recording until Friday afternoon.

Vinny: I'm literally talking about like, did you wipe ok?
Dan: Ohhhhh, to check their butt
Vinny: Yeah..
Dan: Well, tell them to wipe till there's not any shit on the paper
Alex: They don't always listen, Dan
Dan: They're ok with havin-
Alex: You know how sometimes when you tell Trico you want to go up on a thing and Trico doesn't do the thing you want? So, kids are like that x1000
Dan: I understand children now
Vinny: Why does a kid care?
Dan: But I mean, kids, it's not like poop smells awesome when you're a kid and it turns into shit smell when you're an adult! Poop smells bad whether you're 2 or 200
Vinny: Actually that's not true...
Dan: You think kids like the smell of poop?
Vinny: Baby poop smells sweet

crl1Brk.gif

Where is this from?

Angry Beavers was my jam as a kid

Alright, look.

TOP TIER

Rocko's Modern Life
Ren & Stimpy (Seasons 1 & 2)
Spongebob Squarepants (Seasons 1-3ish)

HIGH TIER

Rugrats (Pre-Movie)
Doug
Hey Arnold!

MID TIER

Angry Beavers
Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
KaBlam!

LOW TIER

The Wild Thornberrys
Rocket Power

SHIT TIER

CatDog

Wunder

Alright, look.

TOP TIER

Rocko's Modern Life

HIGH TIER

Rugrats (Pre-Movie)
Doug
Hey Arnold!

MID TIER

Angry Beavers
Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
KaBlam!

LOW TIER

The Wild Thornberrys
Rocket Power

SHIT TIER

CatDog

the fuck did you just say about catdog i'll fight you

Is Dan the one who exclusively poops in Wal-Marts because he forms giant toilet paper balls and fears clogging his home toilet?

That was him so that does bring to question whether he actually knows how to poop but I think he bought the bidet to alleviate that haha

Hell I bet Max is more skilled in pooping than Dan.

killroy87

Alright, look.

TOP TIER

Rocko's Modern Life

HIGH TIER

Rugrats (Pre-Movie)
Doug
Hey Arnold!

MID TIER

Angry Beavers
Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
KaBlam!

LOW TIER

The Wild Thornberrys
Rocket Power

SHIT TIER

CatDog

Move Rugrats up top where it belongs, and we can have a rational discussion.

I shouldn't nitpick between the lowest tiers, but Wild shitty Thornberrys and Rocket shitty Power belong in the shit tier below the sometimes passable CatDog.

I'll be honest: "Squid beefed it" is about the only thing that saves that show from shit tier. Wild Thornberrys at least has some really inspired casting (Nigel, Donnie). What does CatDog have beyond unlikable, obnoxious characters?

the fuck did you just say about catdog i'll fight you

Fuck CatDog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom