• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

ExVicis

aCkn6ER.gif
I can't handle life anymore. This is too much.

"Whats the earliest example of a sci-fi anything doing the robots have consciousness thing and pondering their creator and place in the world"

Probably a couple thousand years ago with the Greeks and Prometheus/the flawed Gods having flawed creations in their image

then Frankenstein (AKA the modern Prometheus) a couple centuries ago for the real sci-fi start

Nasbin

Apparently they did use facial capture to some degree with ME:A. So, while the tech might be more complex, the end result looks worse than what they've done before.

Yeah.. this is a pretty good testament to why Naughty Dog does all their facial animation by hand. Obviously that's not feasible for a game of Mass Effect's scope, but it seems like facial capture is still in its infancy and really easy to screw up.

Joeku

Yeah.. this is a pretty good testament to why Naughty Dog does all their facial animation by hand. Obviously that's not feasible for a game of Mass Effect's scope, but it seems like facial capture is still in its infancy and really easy to screw up.

Naughty Dog actually started using facial capture along with performance stuff as of Uncharted 4.

They just actually did a good job tweaking it all afterward.

Zornack

Maybe I was mistaken but Mass Effect seemed like such a huge series so for it to go dormant for five years then reappear half baked seems crazy.

Nasbin

Does ME come with any audio language options on console? I really liked playing Horizon in French, a lot of the secondary/background VA was better. Maybe it would salvage some of the story bits in this game if you're reading subtitles and not looking at creepy faces.

Salarians

Maybe I was mistaken but Mass Effect seemed like such a huge series so for it to go dormant for five years then reappear half baked seems crazy.
I am sure there are some interesting stories to tell about this game's development

like, remember when they announced that the lead writer of Halo 4 was working on ME:A, then quietly removed his name from their website less than a year later? (for the record, he confirmed his departure a few months after this thread)

"Whats the earliest example of a sci-fi anything doing the robots have consciousness thing and pondering their creator and place in the world"

Probably a couple thousand years ago with the Greeks and Prometheus/the flawed Gods having flawed creations in their image

then Frankenstein (AKA the modern Prometheus) a couple centuries ago for the real sci-fi start

Probably trace a line from there to Asimov for the more obvious modern-day inspiration behind a lot of this stuff, right? (I've never actually read Asimov)

Learning about the ME:A dev team has made me go from "maybe it'll be alright" to "NOPE" fast. Especially on top of everything else coming out about it.

I still have a lot of Zelda to play anyway.

Joeku

Probably trace a line from there to Asimov for the more obvious modern-day inspiration behind a lot of this stuff, right? (I've never actually read Asimov)

The very first Asimov robot short story involved a robot forming more than a robotic attachment to a human. That short story was from, like, 1940. (You should read some Asimov)

The very first Asimov robot short story involved a robot forming more than a robotic attachment to a human. That short story was from, like, 1940. (You should read some Asimov)

The Foundation series is probably my favorite series ever. That's some good shit.

Id imagine (all speculative) that EA wanted a new Mass Effect for the next generation due to it being big for them last generation. The Original Mass Effect team really didn't want to revisit the property and wanted to do something new and the other part of Bioware was deep into creating Dragon Age: Inquisition. It was either force Mass Effect on the original team and destroy morale/lose key people, Wait until Dragon Age: Inquisition was done which would have meant the game would've come out much later, Or let the BioWare Montreal team try things out since they helped out with Mass Effect 2/3 DLC and Multiplayer and might be fine with creating a new Mass Effect.

You need to get a bigger group of people to work on a big open world RPG, craft a new story, models, animations and combat all in the frostbite engine which is/was a new engine for the Bioware Montreal team who mostly worked in Unreal with Mass Effect 2/3. Then halfway through development the senior development director leaves and a few other people leave or get shifted around and you have do deal with that and make sure you can still stay on schedule production wise and redo things if someone else comes in and wants to change things around.

Then EA higher-ups start to get a little agitated that things are taking just a bit to long and they need this game to come out soon or else and the team will try to get as much done and stable as possible and get the game out before the fiscal year is over. As long as they can get the game out on time they can improve things over time and hopefully get the game to the condition they want it to be.

So as someone who played ME1 for like 10 minutes before realizing I wanted nothing to do with it, what do people play Mass Effect for? Because with the jankiness, the boring combat, and the glitches, I always assumed it was the story, the character interactions, the writing, and the world that pulled people in. But with ME: A, the people that are enjoying it are saying things like, "eh I don't mind that the writing is bad", "oh that's just typical Bioware character animations", "oh yeah the story is hammy but that's not the reason I'm playing". So why do people like this series? Because from an outside perspective, this seems like me saying, "Yeah the new Mario game has pretty bad platforming, but that's not why I'm playing it"

I'm mostly in it for the atmosphere, space, tone and characters. I really love the villain in the first game(Saren, very underrated) and it's a shame that the other games couldn't top him villain wise(maybe except for
illusive Man
). Also, this trailer was FUCKING HYPE.

But yeah, looking at the new ME yesterday just didn't leave me with a good first impression. I won't be buying the game. Maybe I will during the summer drought but we'll see.

Just finished my dissertation.

GB gaf, what should I play; Nioh or Nier: Automata?

Awesome, Congrats! I would go for Neir since I feel it's much more fun & varied.

cfroojstn.gif

Mr. F

Banned
Vinny's weird obsession with Mass Effect will lead him to be an apologist for Andromeda.

Nahh I think Vinny's more realistic and even-headed in accepting flaws than Brad. I could see him being quietly disappointed more than anything.

Top Bottom