• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figuring this is the best place to post this, considering this is the Giantbomb thread :p

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-great-escape-of-30-000-steam-keys/1100-4780/

An article posted by Patrick detailing the events of a "give away" for the game Blackwell Deception. To sum things up, things went haywire, multiple times, and people were able to exploit and snatch and grab 30,000 steam keys to re-sell(or unknowingly exploited the system) of a game that was already being given away for free. It's an interesting read, give it a look.

Reason I'm posting it here is, well, there's been plenty of occasions on Gaf where we discover an exploit of some sort and quickly "abuse"(I use the term loosely so don't kill me!) it. In this instance everybody getting these keys caused this guy tons and tons and tons of stress. In retrospect we do the same when we make threads about something we can nab on xbl/psn or some promotional website for free due to some exploit. Are we okay with what we(Gaf) do after reading this article?

(Also, not sure if this constitutes its own thread or not, but I am rather interested in others perspective on the situation)

Posted for new page...50ppp am cry.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
There's a difference between Microsoft and some one man development team, plus I believe it was only a few people exploiting the loophole.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Figuring this is the best place to post this, considering this is the Giantbomb thread :p

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-great-escape-of-30-000-steam-keys/1100-4780/

An article posted by Patrick detailing the events of a "give away" for the game Blackwell Deception. To sum things up, things went haywire, multiple times, and people were able to exploit and snatch and grab 30,000 steam keys to re-sell(or unknowingly exploited the system) of a game that was already being given away for free. It's an interesting read, give it a look.

Reason I'm posting it here is, well, there's been plenty of occasions on Gaf where we discover an exploit of some sort and quickly "abuse"(I use the term loosely so don't kill me!) it. In this instance everybody getting these keys caused this guy tons and tons and tons of stress. In retrospect we do the same when we make threads about something we can nab on xbl/psn or some promotional website for free due to some exploit. Are we okay with what we(Gaf) do after reading this article?

(Also, not sure if this constitutes its own thread or not, but I am rather interested in others perspective on the situation)

There was a thread about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707845

netBuff

True.

The bit that we seem to need to wait till the 12th for is whether the xbone version has similar frame drops.

With the footage of the Xbone version that is out there at the moment, it's pretty safe to say that Xbone has the lower resolution than PS4 and suffers framerate drops as well. Seems like every version of Ghosts is garbage.

kvk1

So much content.

I still haven't watched last week's UPF. There's about 4 hours of the 24 hour stream from Sunday I need to catch up on. I haven't watched any of the Ghosts QL. And there is a Bombcast coming up soon.

Workhorses.

BearPawB

Banned
Aint nothing wrong with that response. People constantly wanting to hear a side being picked is annoying though.

I think it is more that people are very...anxious about purchasing the "right" console. Everyone wants to be on the good side of history. No one wants to be the guy who bought a ton of HD DVDS and betamax. Everyone is concerned they will make a choice, and then it will end up being the "unpopular" one.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
remember when people in first person shooters actually looked at you when they talked? like ten years ago. that was pretty neat.

FluxWaveZ

Uh, I might be late to this, but has anyone talked about the "Let's Spoil: Beyond: Two Souls" video set to release tomorrow? I really enjoyed how they did that BioShock Infinite spoiler video earlier this year while Vinny was finishing it; wonder what this will be.

BearPawB

Banned
Uh, I might be late to this, but has anyone talked about the "Let's Spoil: Beyond: Two Souls" video set to release tomorrow? I really enjoyed how they did that BioShock Infinite spoiler video earlier this year while Vinny was finishing it; wonder what this will be.

its patrick, alex, justin mcelroy and someone else i am forgetting doing a spoiler podcast.

I'm not usually one to cry about realism in my media.

I can suspend the shit out of my disbelief, know what I'm sayin?

Yet the space station scene in Ghosts was frustrating as hell. How did those guns fire without oxygen? How did the inevitable bullet/shrapnel holes not rip the entire thing apart?

And most importantly, what the fuck is going on? Which one is Fonzie and where is the shark?

regular ass everyday guns will fire in space, the cartridge has is own oxidization the reaction all happens in the airtight shell before exposure to any atmosphere or lack thereoff

ArjanN

I think it is more that people are very...anxious about purchasing the "right" console. Everyone wants to be on the good side of history. No one wants to be the guy who bought a ton of HD DVDS and betamax. Everyone is concerned they will make a choice, and then it will end up being the "unpopular" one.

Those people can just relax, neither of these consoles will be the betamax. Both will sell plenty, and the vast majority of games will be multiplatform. There is no losing choice.
Insert Wii U joke here.

I'm gonna put my shitty Unity skills to the test and make spiritual successor to Windjammers called Zephyrslammers or Gustthrusters or something like that.

What is it with Brad and his knee jerk reactions where he doesn't think before speaking, Jeff was talking about PS4 and how it doesn't have DLNA and he pipes up "stop pirating TV shows then", because that's the ONLY reason people use DLNA.....

Zero_

What is it with Brad and his knee jerk reactions where he doesn't think before speaking, Jeff was talking about PS4 and how it doesn't have DLNA and he pipes up "stop pirating TV shows then", because that's the ONLY reason people use DLNA.....

I think he was kidding, GB always says things like that for shits and giggles.

He was joking but come on. There is a little truth to the joke.

But in this case its kind of a standard thing and its a bummer it wont be there day 1.

Its not like the people who want .mkv playback. They know what you are up to and we know why Sony and MS wont support it.

BearPawB

Banned

thats all i have ever used it for...

But in this case its kind of a standard thing and its a bummer it wont be there day 1.

Its not like the people who want .mkv playback. They know what you are up to and we know why Sony and MS wont support it.

I have 300+ movies and 2000+ tv episodes that I have ripped from my own bought Blu-Ray and DVDs, I don't appreciate being likened to a pirate just because I want to stream the content from my NAS. I have lots of stuff plugged up to my TV would be nice to get rid of a couple of boxes and have one that does it all.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

The pirate community uses MKV because its currently the most useful, that's the same for people ripping and backing up their own content they purchased. Its unfortunate that those with legitimate uses can't do it because its popular for people with illegitimate uses as well.

The pirate community uses MKV because its currently the most useful, that's the same for people ripping and backing up their own content they purchased. Its unfortunate that those with legitimate uses can't do it because its popular for people with illegitimate uses as well.

Whats so special about .MKV anyway? What makes it the file format of choice over other formats?

I was thinking about this very thing before but I never bothered looking it up.

Whats so special about .MKV anyway? What makes it the file format of choice over other formats?

I was thinking about this very thing before but I never bothered looking it up.

MKV is very flexible. It can store any video encoded in any way and audio in any format with mono, stereo, 5.1, 7.1, HD audio, subtitles that can be styled with embedded fonts, chapters, it even supports branching video whereby you could integrate an alternate ending as a "video angle" where you could switch it on the fly and have no interruption in what you are watching and have it seamlessly integrated into the movie and that's only scratching the surface of what it can do.

I use MP4 for compatibility though but its very limited, can't have AC3 (what comes on DVD, if you want a compliant file that can play in devices that support MP4) or HD Audio (that comes on Blu-ray), can't have forced subtitles you have to encode them into the video, only supports text subtitles, etc...

If I wanted to convert my Blu-ray to MKV all I need to do is demux (basically take the component video, audio and subtitles out) and mux them into MKV. To do that with MP4 and keep it compatible I have to convert the audio to 5.1 AAC then use OCR to convert the subtitles into SRT plain text format. Though I do transcode the video down to 720p purely for archival sake, I don't have the HDD space for 300 30-50GB untouched Blurays as well as my TV archive.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He really has lost the plot since the 90s. Some of the latter books are even more crazier.
I just want Sam Fisher to go, "I'm fighting for the right to make abortion illegal in America!" before he starts torturing some random guy in the next Splinter Cell game.

Mesoian

It's pretty odd to hear that Patrick and McElroy, people who generally have different tastes in gaming than I, have pretty much the exact same comments on Beyond: Two Souls than I do.

Also shameless Let's Play plug

2d8.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom