• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Some duders around here seem to have soured on the morning show. What happened?

I'm still enjoying it.

I went off it when they picked the wrong drawing to be the logo. There was another one that looked much better. They one they picked kinda grosses me out.

Jintor

A lot of conversations also seem to devolve into "Yeah, I agree with you", which is great for social cohesion and all but not terribly interesting

RaikuHebi

Banned
apparently Patrick and Alex don't hate the Xbox enough for GAF.
Such salty hiveminding.
Or you know. Legitimate concerns.

No it's just the condescending, dismissive attitude they both hold that have soured me to them. Not everyone cares or has to care about console wars but disdain they hold for people that do are the reason why.
Exactly. I hate posts on GAF that are like that as well. "I am above all of this, I love both consoles, I love games". Yes great, you've contributed nothing to a discussion about comparing the platforms.

LegoArmo

I stopped watching the morning show because I don't agree with Patrick and Alex on a lot of subjects, and they seem to love to repeatedly talk about the same things, just to agree with each other.

There's very little actual interesting discussion or multiple view points.

"Sexism is bad" "I agree, Patrick" etc.

Zabant

No it's just the condescending, dismissive attitude they both hold that have soured me to them. Not everyone cares or has to care about console wars but disdain they hold for people that do are the reason why.

That's the standard fare for the big sites covering games, they're above such petty arguments like "I can only afford one console and want an informed opinion on the value of one versus the other"

I go to GB for entertainment, not in-depth industry analysis.

Jintor

Also, they're just straight-up not great at improv in the way that Jeff and Vinny (and Ryan) are great at improv. They work together well enough, but it's a bit like Will and Norm without Gary for my liking.

That's the standard fare for the big sites covering games, they're above such petty arguments like "I can only afford one console and want an informed opinion on the value of one versus the other"

I go to GB for entertainment, not in-depth industry analysis.

They are above it yes but they sure do like to tell people how much they are above it.

If they aren't interested in talking about it then don't roll their eyes and groan when it is brought up, some people do care about it and like to talk about it and the tech and because I respect GB opinions more than some high profile games sites it is galling when I am looked down upon by certain members of the site.

No everyone wants to deal with that discussion.

I don't get early access to both the consoles and all the games that are in pre-production, I rely on the games press to inform my decision, when they act all dismissive and condescending about a topic they aren't doing their jobs properly.

Zabant

If they aren't interested in talking about it then don't roll their eyes and groan when it is brought up

Completely agree. Jeff has been good on this, whenever he is asked he says "Not interested" and leaves it at that. No groans and holier-than-thou attitude.
See the recent 24 hour stream for an example on this.

Completely agree. Jeff has been good on this, whenever he is asked he says "Not interested" and leaves it at that. No groans and holier-than-thou attitude.

Because in Jeff case, is not his first generation shift.

popo

High level budget negotiations. They go in demanding to hire Jeff Green. CBS say fuck no, can't afford black dragon, they compromise with a new video guy - which is exactly what Jeff wanted all along.

Also isn't Vinny still using Final Cut pro 7? No point buying a new mac pro for a 32bit application and if they move to premiere then a high spec PC is much cheaper.

Lunzio

I absolutely love Giant Bomb, and I come to it for nonstop content and coverage, but... I actually agree with this as of late. Haven't entirely stopped watching the morning show, but I cannot deny the feeling of condescension that I've felt lately from it. This has nothing to do with the "hivemind," there's just a way that they've approached certain topics that is a little frustrating from my perspective.

There's a difference to me between abstaining from an argument and feeling like you're too good for it.

Will still continue to watch, but I do think it's important that genuine criticism isn't totally ignored. I think adding another person to the mix (somebody with a different opinion) would be exactly what they need (for me to keep interest). There's a level of comfort now that doesn't really push either to really discuss topics.

I went off it when they picked the wrong drawing to be the logo. There was another one that looked much better. They one they picked kinda grosses me out.
Post the better one please.
Well, to be fair, it's not Patrick's, Alex's, Brad's, or Vinny's either.
I don't know off the top of my head when Patrick stopped being a gaf mod and joined the journo game, but this is only his second launch right?

All the rest are old men and have been around forever.

SummitAve

Banned
I don't get early access to both the consoles and all the games that are in pre-production, I rely on the games press to inform my decision, when they act all dismissive and condescending about a topic they aren't doing their jobs properly.

We should keep pressuring them to discuss stuff they don't find very interesting or intriguing. Only then will they be doing their jobs.

popo

We should keep pressuring them to discuss stuff they don't find very interesting or intriguing. Only then will they be doing their jobs.

They see their job as entertainers. Only Patrick self identifies as a journalist.

Question: is there a page for bombastica videos?

They seem to be under features. On the main video page you can also seach 'bombastica'.

Post the better one please.

I suspect he means this one. The ears on Alex ruin it for me.

2531704-swx.jpg

frostyxc

I am above it all, but I WILL NOT abstain from this argument because I've got scruples, man! Scruples!

Wait, that's not right...

I've got Skittles, MAAAAAaaaaaN! And they're Tropical. I can't be above it all and have this filth touch my golden tongue.

So who wants them? Any takers? Hello?

If they don't care then fair enough I will find another site that does, one that doesn't have people like Brad, Patrick and Alex who go out of their way to tell you why you are wrong and why it doesn't matter if I care.

popo

That's the one. The Alex-wolf in the picture they use looks like he's dying.

That is the best bit. Looks so depressed and the Patrick one looks so full of himself. A good piece of caricature. Also the one you prefer is tall rather than wide so never would have fit the headline slot on the site. Would make a good poster though.

Oh hell. Hah, excuse my lack of internet skills, don't know how I missed it.

Their video categorization has rightly been criticized since the site started. Several redesigns have failed to better it and the search is poor too.

I'm still enjoying it.
It is the least annoying I find Alex, but he's still pretty annoying to me. Sometimes he'll just say things without thinking critically about it and he's not funny or otherwise entertaining enough for me not to roll my eyes.

I'm still enjoying it.

I stopped caring when it became Bombcast lite. Small non-gaming talk -> Whatcha Been Playing --> News --> Questions from the chat.

When they first started out they had guests and also had some of the SF Bombcrew join in and it was kind of neat. Now it's the Patrick and Alex portion of the Bombcast and I don't really want more of that.

Brashnir

You know what you do have access to? The rest of the entire fucking internet. Do you feel like Giant Bomb's lack of coverage has led to you not having the facts on the power of these two consoles? Get real. If you're on GAF, you have more than enough resources to educate yourself and make a solid purchasing decision.

You want them to validate your decision, not inform it.

You know what you do have access to? The rest of the entire fucking internet. Do you feel like Giant Bomb's lack of coverage has led to you not having the facts on the power of these two consoles? Get real. If you're on GAF, you have more than enough resources to educate yourself and make a solid purchasing decision.

+1

ZINGGGGGGGG Some truth bomb being droped here.
Good post +1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom