• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
at some point call of duty plots went from tom clancy airport novel stories to weird underground patriot fiction about glorious american spec ops groups fighting against the hordes of commu-muslim hispanic undesirables trying to destroy freedom

I kinda assumed Clancy novels took a similar path.

The easiest way to track the change in Call of Duty's overall tone is the death-screen war quotes. In 2-4, they were mostly glib commentary on how fucked being an infantryman is, and ironic quotes from people in the Nixon and Bush administrations.

In MW2 they started shifting more towards less cynical things about glory and patriotism, and I'm assuming that in Ghosts it just says "QUIT DYING, PUSSY - GEORGE WASHINGTON"

MNC

I subscribed to the premium podcasts on my phone through PocketCasts, but episode 9 of the movie podcast isn't showing; What gives?

The easiest way to track the change in Call of Duty's overall tone is the death-screen war quotes. In 2-4, they were mostly glib commentary on how fucked being an infantryman is, and ironic quotes from people in the Nixon and Bush administrations.

In MW2 they started shifting more towards less cynical things about glory and patriotism, and I'm assuming that in Ghosts it just says "QUIT DYING, PUSSY - GEORGE WASHINGTON"

They haven't done those in the last 2-3 (maybe more) entries in the series. And MW2 probably had the MOST cynical quotes of all of them, referencing current politicians and their double-talk quite a few times. Of course, MW2 was when they stopped being somewhat grounded in reality and turned into full blown Michael Bay films but that's another argument entirely.

AngryMoth

Watching this cod quick look, man this dog stuff is so dumb. Now I understand why everyone has been taking the piss of it the last 6 months

Manbig

I'm staring at my copy of COD Ghosts for PS4 that just came in the mail from Amazon and I sort of hate myself right now...

LCfiner

I'm pretty sure he's heavily hinting that neither version (XONE or PS4) is especially impressive.

Well he’s saying outright the PS4 version is not as impressive as he had hoped - and that it’s kinda comparable to the parts he played on PC.

So, y’know, kinda like a lot of people here have been saying… it’s a mediocre looking cross gen game with oddly high PC requirements.

The new bit of info is the occasional framerate hitching on PS4

I like Blitz mode as long as both teams are actually attempting to defend their points. It is really dumb if both teams are just "GOTTA GO FAST, RUN TO POINT" the whole time and just turns into a game of who hits 15 caps first.

SJRB

Gold Member
He has to because of MS having every review under lock until the 12th.

Yeah I know, but there's something surreal about Microsoft holding the entire videogame journalism apparatus hostage over their fucking console in such a way that a guy like Jeff can't even say out loud wether or not the Xbone version of COD looks on par with the PS4 version.

It's sleazy as fuck, I don't like it and I don't understand why they don't form a front and say "can't talk about it? Well fuck your console then, motherfucker".

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's also a sign of respect that you agree to the terms set by the company which gave you early access to the material.

If not they would be doing this on xbone launch day, so it's not like there's so e inherent disadvantage.

Shosai

Banned
Yeah I know, but there's something surreal about Microsoft holding the entire videogame journalism apparatus hostage over their fucking console in such a way that a guy like Jeff can't even say out loud wether or not the Xbone version of COD looks on par with the PS4 version.

It's sleazy as fuck, I don't like it and I don't understand why they don't form a front and say "can't talk about it? Well fuck your console then, motherfucker".

Because if they refuse to do preview coverage, everyone loses out. Review embargoes are kind of a shitty situation, but are still preferable to every other alternative

fourstorks

Neo Member
I'm not usually one to cry about realism in my media.

I can suspend the shit out of my disbelief, know what I'm sayin?

Yet the space station scene in Ghosts was frustrating as hell. How did those guns fire without oxygen? How did the inevitable bullet/shrapnel holes not rip the entire thing apart?

And most importantly, what the fuck is going on? Which one is Fonzie and where is the shark?

Thomper

That's just how embargoes work. It sucks, sure, but... who cares? They can still talk about the Xbox One and PS4 version compared before either version is available in stores. It's not like they're forbidden from reviewing it entirely, and nobody can play/try it right now anyway. Just wait a few days.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not usually one to cry about realism in my media.

I can suspend the shit out of my disbelief, know what I'm sayin?

Yet the space station scene in Ghosts was frustrating as hell. How did those guns fire without oxygen? How did the inevitable bullet/shrapnel holes not rip the entire thing apart?

And most importantly, what the fuck is going on? Which one is Fonzie and where is the shark?
These guns had some space agency logo on them, so they could totally use bullets that work in space.

But I got other questions about what I saw, I guess they are spoilers:

Who were the enemies in the campaign? At first I thought they spoke Italian, but apparently they are from South America, so maybe it was Portuguese? But how...and why?

Also, what's up with that huge Attack-on-Titan-like wall in L.A.? Why would you need that? Doesn't help much against satellites.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
These guns had some space agency logo on them, so they could totally use bullets that work in space.

But I got other questions about what I saw, I guess they are spoilers:

Who were the enemies in the campaign? At first I thought they spoke Italian, but apparently they are from South America, so maybe it was Portuguese? But how...and why?

Also, what's up with that huge Attack-on-Titan-like wall in L.A.? Why would you need that? Doesn't help much against satellites.

Having not watched the Quick Look yet, and with my entire Call of Duty personal history being approximately an hour of COD 2 and maybe two of COD4...

Giant wall in California? Clearly you're fighting Mexicans. Space Mexicans. Alien aliens.

Figuring this is the best place to post this, considering this is the Giantbomb thread :p

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-great-escape-of-30-000-steam-keys/1100-4780/

An article posted by Patrick detailing the events of a "give away" for the game Blackwell Deception. To sum things up, things went haywire, multiple times, and people were able to exploit and snatch and grab 30,000 steam keys to re-sell(or unknowingly exploited the system) of a game that was already being given away for free. It's an interesting read, give it a look.

Reason I'm posting it here is, well, there's been plenty of occasions on Gaf where we discover an exploit of some sort and quickly "abuse"(I use the term loosely so don't kill me!) it. In this instance everybody getting these keys caused this guy tons and tons and tons of stress. In retrospect we do the same when we make threads about something we can nab on xbl/psn or some promotional website for free due to some exploit. Are we okay with what we(Gaf) do after reading this article?

(Also, not sure if this constitutes its own thread or not, but I am rather interested in others perspective on the situation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom