• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chogidogs

You know what? Knack looks totally ok to me. Kinda like a cross between Batman and Skylanders.

Brad was right though, the actual character and voice is ass.

eot

Banned
It's stupid that checkpoints don't heal you in Knack considering that you respawn with full health if you die.

Lunzio

Knack looks completely fine. $60 may be asking too much but it doesn't look nearly as bad as people are making it seem.

I kind of feel like the poor reviews are a cross between higher expectations for the next generation and an already soiled image of the game due to its perceived target of families/kids.

I agree, it did give off quite a Skylanders vibe, if the combat was more interesting I would have picked this up. Playing the demo of Knack at a kiosk, the thing that turned me off the most to this game is that there seems to only be like 3 attacks.

Goldmund

Was this game rushed? Mechanically it seems solid enough, but it looks like the world and its inhabitants belong to different planes, the way enemies and destructible elements disappear or pop out to a different dimension reserved for the dead and destructed or something, the way that Knack runs on the spot if he moves against boundaries etc. The difficulty looks a bit artificial, everything looks a bit artificial and sterile.

FStop7

Banned
Maybe there's something wrong with me but I think Knack looks fucking rad. I watched Shu's stream of the tutorial last night and half the GB quick look this morning and Knack went from something I wasn't at all interested in to being at the top of my list out of the games I've seen so far.

If Killzone SF is this generation's Perfect Dark Zero then Knack is this generation's Kameo.

Dragon

Banned
Was this game rushed? Mechanically it seems solid enough, but it looks like the world and its inhabitants belong to different planes, the way enemies and destructible elements disappear or pop out to a different dimension reserved for the dead and destructed or something, the way that Knack runs on the spot if he moves against boundaries etc. The difficulty looks a bit artificial, everything looks a bit artificial and sterile.

Cerny has said he didn't want the bodies to stay there since it's a family oriented game. Take that for what you will.

Goldmund

Cerny has said he didn't want the bodies to stay there since it's a family oriented game. Take that for what you will.
It's not the disappearance, it's the way they disappear instantly; I'd be fine if they turned into dust, if there was some visual cue. I've heard that you can't leave bodies lying around if you want an E rating.

But yeah, I can't yet really put into words what bothers me. It's like the elements are merely connected and disconnected by space and not what spans or bridges that space, if that makes any sense. It feels really empty.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Yeah, with the emphasis on particle effects, why not do some fancy disappearing animation on the dudes you kill.

Also, I'm sure it is a tough game, but watching Jeff play made me understand why he doesn't like games like Dark Souls.

demidar

Risk of Rain looks pretty good. The accruing and stacking of items and its roguelike nature reminds me of Binding of Isaac, but in a 2D pixel art game.

Deadstar

Maybe there's something wrong with me but I think Knack looks fucking rad. I watched Shu's stream of the tutorial last night and half the GB quick look this morning and Knack went from something I wasn't at all interested in to being at the top of my list out of the games I've seen so far.

If Killzone SF is this generation's Perfect Dark Zero then Knack is this generation's Kameo.

I'm really excited to play Knack on Friday. Looks awesome from the quick look.

Zaph

I wish they'd stop putting up so many shitty trailers. Especially when there's so much legit content on the site at the minute.
What are you talking about? Girls' Fashion Shoot and Payday 2 DLC trailers are totally worth pushing the Bombcast and LOLS below the fold...

Knack is a game that seems to have been made for me. I want it. It reminds me of old-school adventure games such as Crash and Spyro.

That's definitely the vibe I got from it too. In fact, after seeing the Quick Look today and getting said vibe, I went from zero interest to... Slightly more interest.

Brashnir

Alex put up another shitty game trailer with a snarky description again >_>

The Giant Bomb community benefits from the raised awareness level of this game.

I'm now feverishly anticipating the UnProFri segment dedicated to it in the near future.

Kelas

I really hope they can afford to hire Jeff Green, assuming Jeff Green wants to work for them.

yeah i'm not sure what game the guys were looking at with Knack, i think it looks really sharp. they really nailed that "not quite Pixar" art style to a T, methinks.

Kelas

He said during his Black Mesa stream that Giant Bomb would be his dream job.

Oh man. itshappening.gif at the ready, but really I'm prepared to hear he's moving to another PR job.

Who plays risk of rain?

If it's Vinny, Drew, or Jeff I look forward to it.

If it's Brad, I can't wait for him to tell me how everything is broken and the game totally didn't accept his jump.

solarus

He said during his Black Mesa stream that Giant Bomb would be his dream job.

CBS INCREASE GIANTBOMB FUNDING AND PAY THIS MAN'S SALARY.
I would kickstarter the shit out of paying for Jeff Green to come to Giant Bomb, would be the first kickstarter I support and throw money at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom