• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

W1SSY

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it so far but I asked Rorie about Pathfinder and he said it would probably return after Thanksgiving. Kind of figured they would take a break especially with having to get prepared for the new campaign but just wanted to make sure.

Brashnir

Oh man. itshappening.gif at the ready, but really I'm prepared to hear he's moving to another PR job.

Better have this one ready too, just in case.

HbvjsAo.jpg

popo

wow, weird thing to just come out and say that. He was talking them up on the bombcast but I assumed he was just being polite.

FStop7

Banned
Brad "Launch games never look that visually impressive"

Soul Calibur and NFL 2K would like to have a word with you, Mr. Shoemaker.

Honestly, I'd like Danny O'Dwyer to move over to Giant Bomb rather than Jeff Green coming in - although both would be great picks (very hard to pick people to add to GB, but those two work).

Danny even has his own Jar time already

The probably with Danny is he is trying so hard to be Jeff and Ryan he wouldnt bring anything to the table.

At least he has the Irish accent to help keep things from getting to Kessler levels.

Brad "Launch games never look that visually impressive"

Soul Calibur and NFL 2K would like to have a word with you, Mr. Shoemaker.

Were they really launch games though? They were US launch games but that didn't happen until about 9/10 months after the Japanese launch so they had all that extra time with locked down hardware to work to, which falls outside Brad's point about launch software being developed to a moving target.

SummitAve

Banned
I laughed so hard when you hear Knack for the first time. What the hell were they thinking? Looking forward to the coverage tomorrow!

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Maybe there's something wrong with me but I think Knack looks fucking rad. I watched Shu's stream of the tutorial last night and half the GB quick look this morning and Knack went from something I wasn't at all interested in to being at the top of my list out of the games I've seen so far.

If Killzone SF is this generation's Perfect Dark Zero then Knack is this generation's Kameo.

That is an insult to both Killzone & to Kameo.

SummitAve

Banned
I dont mean the graphics, its design. All kinds of weird unconnected parts that are kind of like a face and arms but not really and some of it is wooden and other is metal and theyre all different geometric shapes

He's made of all your favorite default 3D shape models!

I dont mean the graphics, its design. All kinds of weird unconnected parts that are kind of like a face and arms but not really and some of it is wooden and other is metal and theyre all different geometric shapes

Yeah, the design (and voice) of the character is awful. Don't know what they were thinking.

megalowho

Somebody tweet gerstmann, find out why this hasn't happened yet!
If we've learned anything about Giant Bomb over the years, it should be that pestering the guys about something you want them to do is probably the best way to ensure it doesn't happen. I'm sure they have a short list of candidates and hear the same things everyone else does regarding employment situations.

I would appreciate another core member in the SF offices after the craziness of this year, but there's probably dozens of reasons why it can't happen or when it can. Businesses are weird like that.

def sim

The playroom segment with Chris Watters and Danny O'Dwyer is a lot of fun. Gamespot and all, but these two are close enough.

popo

If we've learned anything about Giant Bomb over the years, it should be that pestering the guys about something you want them to do is probably the best way to ensure it doesn't happen. I'm sure they have a short list of candidates and hear the same things everyone else does regarding employment situations.

I would appreciate another core member in the SF offices after the craziness of this year, but there's probably dozens of reasons why it can't happen or when it can. Businesses are weird like that.

I am not sure that is true. I mean if you tell them "cover this game" then Jeff can dig in and be stubborn but with really important decisions I think they will do what they think is best and ignore what anyone says to them one way or the other.

I mean people were hassling Jeff about employing Rorie for almost a year and he only got in when there was a natural job opening. He didn't shoe horn him in just because they are friends and he didn't black ball him just because the community was demanding it.

GB probably has a debug unit.

Dat CBSi backing. No bitching on twitter required for them.

No but if I had to guess, it's Dec kits

Have they said how they are getting past HDCP?

Gamespot said - in conjunction with the HDMI problems - that their retail unit ran for 7 hours straight on the live stream. I imagine CBS as a whole got at least one dev unit for running preview code but it could just be that Sony gave out legal waivers saying they would not sue anyone bypassing HDCP for the duration of launch publicity. I ain't no laywer ...

Thx for that. Seems he was taking questions from the chat - which makes a lot more sense. When you mentioned it I imagined him issuing a public "come get me". He also seems to think it was unlikely to happen.

He was wrong when he said GB don't need more staff though. They are stretched really thin when just one of them is out of the office for wnatever reason. Needs to be the right person but they could use some cover.

SummitAve

Banned
It seems like the whole Knack changing sizes was at one point much more ambitious, but somewhere along the way they had to make a decision and essentially scrap it entirely. They purposefully avoided dealing with the design issues that arise when having to account for various sizes of Knack at any given point by not making it dynamic at all. There's no incentive for remaining small Knack so you just pick up the handful of predetermined relics along the linear path. And just to make sure that if that wasn't all enough to prevent stuff from fucking up, they shrink Knack down before the start of any boss. Game looks like butt.

Knack doesn't look bad, yeah. It looks better than Skylanders at the very least.

How? Looks like the only thing Knack has over Sklanders is difficulty and it being a singular purchase. Other than that, Swap Force doesn't look that far off graphically and immediately has more depth with the different characters and their own abilities and upgrade paths. Also the optional stuff in the levels are more than just "knock down this wall."

Brashnir

It seems like the whole Knack changing sizes was at one point much more ambitious, but somewhere along the way they had to make a decision and essentially scrap it entirely. They completely avoided any design issues that arise when having to account for various sizes of Knack at any given point. There's no incentive for remaining small Knack so you just pick up the handful of predetermined relics along the linear path. And just to make sure that if that wasn't all enough to prevent stuff from fucking up, they shrink Knack down before the start of any boss. Game looks like butt.

Yep. It was pitched initially as the thing that set the game apart, and it ended up being a completely inconsequential throwaway.

def sim

How? Looks like the only thing Knack has over Sklanders is difficulty and it being a singular purchase. Other than that, Swap Force doesn't look that far off graphically and immediately has more depth with the different characters and their own abilities and upgrade paths. Also the optional stuff in the levels are more than just "knock down this wall."

I've played Knack for, maybe, thirty seconds at a Sony store a few weeks back and not at all for Skylanders. I only know of it from GB podcasts and quick looks. From what I've seen, Skylanders' depth is hidden behind figurine purchases while Knack seems to be a middling, but competent pattern based action game. The latter I'm more familiar with.

In that sense, I think Knack looks better. Like I said though, my exposure to either game is limited. Maybe I'm wrong.

I recently replayed the Jak trilogy thanks to PS+ and watching the Knack quick look reminded me of it mainly due to three things:

Unfair difficulty - By this I mean the combat itself doesn't necessarily seem challenging, it's just a case of enemies one-hit killing you, which, particularly for a family centric game, is unnecessary

Bad checkpointing- Which always feels as if developers just totally underestimate the difficulty of sections.

Double jump ledges- Seeing Jeff do that thing I think we've all done where you jump at a ledge logically thinking you'll have enough height to clear it, only to find, for some reason, it requires a double jump, is such a weird archaic thing. Tiny in the long run, sure, but it immediately struck me as one of those old school platforming grievances that got on my nerves.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Brad's streaming the Resogun final boss attempt

http://www.twitch.tv/bradshoemaker

Edit: Brad called it "Pretty alright".

4/5 stars confirmed.

Edit edit: Jeffs playing Killzone in the background and just screamed "UGHHHH SO BORINGGG"

3/5 confirmed.

Edit edit edit: Jeff just said "Fuck this shit."

2/5 confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom