• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did any of them talk about 1 million PS4's in 24hrs yet? I remember them being curious earlier in the year about how this next-gen stuff would play out and those numbers are very reassuring.

Patrick has on more than one occasion said that the launch day sales are obviously going to be great, the interesting part is what happens after the initial hype.

And your side doesn't make much sense since he is talking about launch games on the new systems.

Microsoft abandoned their 360 fanbase to bring 360 games to Xbox One. Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, etc. Sony instead decided to support their PS3 fans with one of the best lineups of exclusives it has ever had and still has good games for PS4 launch. That is far more important.

Microsoft abandoned their 360 fanbase to bring 360 games to Xbox One. Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, etc. Sony instead decided to support their PS3 fans with one of the best lineups of exclusives it has ever had and still has good games for PS4 launch. That is far more important.

And he said the PS4 would have a longer tail, its not a death sentence to admit the exclusive launch games for the PS4 are not as good as the XBO.

Zekes!

Did any of them talk about 1 million PS4's in 24hrs yet? I remember them being curious earlier in the year about how this next-gen stuff would play out and those numbers are very reassuring.

Someone asked on Jeff's tumblr if he believed that 1 million units sold says more about Sony's production capabilities than consumer response. Jeff agreed

Bedlam

Dead Rising looks fun (despite looking a little shallow) and it's probably a really good game but I can already see that Brad will totally oversell the game in the review and on the bombcast, just like with many other games before (Brothers, Skyrim, Renegade Ops etc.). There is just no middle ground for him. Either he is dismissive of a game or he gets caught up in his own hype spiral.

Ken

I'm not really sure what the appeal is, but it reminded me of Mortal Kombat.

well, I could see why people like it. you've got the next gen special effects, the flashiness, crunchy hit effects and sounds, zoom ins (who doesnt love zoom ins), and satisfaction of pulling off counters without actually knowing you're pulling off counters.

personally all i saw was a jago on auto pilot but maybe that has more to do with how their combo system works?

LordCanti

Watching this Dead Rising QL....makes me really want an Xbone. I already canceled that pre-order though, and I wouldn't want to spend $500 more on another console, so whatever.

Random OT question:

Has anybody ever put together a compilation of the weekly WiiWare/DSiWare releases from the Bombcast? I go back and listen to them every once in a while.. It'd be nice to not have to scrub thru each podcast.

If no one has, I'll probably get on that in the next couple weeks. I can't be the only one who wants it lol.

mattp

Quality > Quantity. I don't care how much "stuff" they put up on the site. 99% of people visiting giantbomb are going there for bombcasts, quicklooks, and whatever else has them interacting as a group.

I'd hate to think that they can't add another member to the staff because of the two guys that live in other states. Like I said, I feel they're spread to thin and someone like Jeff Green would bring some real energy to the website.

i dont know, i think most of what patrick posts is pretty great content
really good features, worth playing and reading

Curufinwe

Someone asked on Jeff's tumblr if he believed that 1 million units sold says more about Sony's production capabilities than consumer response. Jeff agreed

And assuming that some or all of these other consoles would have also sold 1 million units on day 1 if they were available is a gigantic assumption to make. Most of them didn't even come close in their first month.

screenshot2013-11-17a34cad.png

see5harp

"Yeah uh the framerate is only bad in on this particular street you guys, i promise".

"Yeah the acting is awesome!"

Okay Brad, okay.

I highly doubt the acting is great but I'm not sure why it's surprising that Dead Rising is enjoyable. It was probably one of the best 360 games for me in that first year.

As a counterpoint: I don't like any fighting games, KI included. I also get very bored playing Dead Rising. Point is, for all who say MS has the better launch games, there are people like me who disagree. Even if I had an XBone, I wouldn't buy either of those games.

I'd buy Forza, though.

paul187

Random OT question:

Has anybody ever put together a compilation of the weekly WiiWare/DSiWare releases from the Bombcast? I go back and listen to them every once in a while.. It'd be nice to not have to scrub thru each podcast.

If no one has, I'll probably get on that in the next couple weeks. I can't be the only one who wants it lol.

2009 & 2010 this year collections have pretty good chunks of the WiiWare segments. I believe one of them has the NDX segments as well.

Dany

Banned
The AI in KI was bad so I stopped watching after 10 minutes. Did either brad/vinny or Patrick play as the second player.

erawsd

Watching this Dead Rising 3 QL is basically all the Dead Rising I need.

Yeah, watching that actually deflated a lot of the interest I had in the game. Brad says the story and side missions are all pretty flat/basic. Makes it seem like the entire game is mostly about combining crazy weapons and killing zombies? Which can be fun, but I don't know if its compelling enough for $60.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I highly doubt the acting is great but I'm not sure why it's surprising that Dead Rising is enjoyable. It was probably one of the best 360 games for me in that first year.

I think its important to consider what "acting" means in a videogame. I watched that part and was legitimately impressed by the animation on the fat guy.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yeah, watching that actually deflated a lot of the interest I had in the game. Brad says the story and side missions are all pretty flat/basic. Makes it seem like the entire game is mostly about combining crazy weapons and killing zombies? Which can be fun, but I don't know if its compelling enough for $60.

Yeah, I feel the same.

Zomba13

DR3 and KI and Crimson Dragon and I guess Forza 5 really make me want to grab an Xbone. I've already got a PS4 on pre-order though, won't be paying for XBL gold if I was to get a Xbone (stopped paying for it ages ago) and I don't like having to pay a bunch more than the PS4 because of the Kinect.

I wish they had a Kinectless SKU. It'd make me buy one I think, even with a PS4.

I know Dead Rising 2 had all kinds of nutty weapon combinations, but is it just me or does the stuff in DR3 seem even more out there? Like, being able to fuse some kind of flamethrower spike steamroller or a magical ice elemental staff that's supposed to be made out of like dry ice and a stop light or whatever. Your dude seems less Zombie Apocalypse MacGuyver and more Magical Gadget Wizard.

Did Dead Rising 2 get that crazy? I might be remembering it wrong, but that game it seemed like most of the combinations were stuff that anybody with duct tape and a garage could theoretically make.

Zomba13

I know Dead Rising 2 had all kinds of nutty weapon combinations, but is it just me or does the stuff in DR3 seem even more out there? Like, being able to fuse some kind of flamethrower spike steamroller or a magical ice elemental staff that's supposed to be made out of like dry ice and a stop light or whatever. Your dude seems less Zombie Apocalypse MacGuyver and more Magical Gadget Wizard.

Did Dead Rising 2 get that crazy? I might be remembering it wrong, but that game it seemed like most of the combinations were stuff that anybody with duct tape and a garage could theoretically make.

I dunno, DR2 has gems + flash light = lightsaber.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Ok just hit the spot where they had to fade to black in the KI QL. Is this because they cannot show the UI? That fucking sucks.

see5harp

I think its important to consider what "acting" means in a videogame. I watched that part and was legitimately impressed by the animation on the fat guy.

Yea, you're right. I suppose i generally mean voice acting when I'm talking about a game.

sixghost

From that quicklook, you kind of get the sense that they thought of cool looking weapons then worked their way backwards, instead of coming up with dumb combinations of stuff that was already in the game.

That said, "battery" seems to be a synonym for "magic" in those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom