• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. Scoops and the Wolf really benefit from a) a third chair b) who has expertise/experience in a field, otherwise it kind of devolves into a lot of snark and agreeing with one another.

That's a problem with a lot of shows where the hosts are generally on the same wavelength and very seldom have guests on. I really like Patrick and Alex though, but I definitely agree that the show format itself could greatly benefit from a third chair of different people.

And assuming that some or all of these other consoles would have also sold 1 million units on day 1 if they were available is a gigantic assumption to make. Most of them didn't even come close in their first month.

Wii, 360 and to a lesser extent PS3 were extremely supply constrained. Wii didn't last in stock for almost 10 months, I would get a shipment and it would evaporate as soon as I put them on the sales floor. 360 was the same for about 6 months. PS3s were in stock after about 3 months (Price played a huge roll in this). With all of them when getting resupplied you would only get between 2-8 at a time.

He loves it. Him and Ryan had an unexplicable love for that series (not the second one). Plus Torque which is even more bizarre.

Dude, fucking watch Torque!

Bombcast: Torque Is The Greatest Movie Ever Made

Slashfilm podcast with the director

It was made to be a really stupid parody of the Fast and Furious movies. I mean, there's bike-fu!
ikbxwjvS0zp4W.gif

LCfiner

Been wading thru the PS4 unveiling. Excellent, excellent, EXCELLENT coverage.

Who writes like that first tweet?!? It's necronomicon levels of mindfuck how those sentences are put together.

the first tweet from jake was a reply to some previous tweet with two other people involved so the “@“ names are placed in front when he hit the reply button in a conversation. then it’s his message.

if you’re on twitter for a bit, brain learns to adjust to the @names. hashtags can fuck right off, though. I just ignore them

demidar

Dead Rising 3 looked alright. It's strictly Xbox One exclusive? No PC version hinted at?

Seems unlikely but who knows? I think it looks fun, but not as fun as the previous 2 due to the tight pacing and level structure being written out (not designed with in mind, looks shoehorned).

Man, Jeff seemed like he almost had another Bufu moment near the end of that Dead Rising QL, when Brad tried to go for that steamroller. Actually pretty funny, but I get the impression that the dude's been pretty stressed of late.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Jeff seemed like he almost had another Bufu moment near the end of that Dead Rising QL, when Brad tried to go for that steamroller. Actually pretty funny, but I get the impression that the dude's been pretty stressed of late.
There have been more WHAT-ARE-YOU-DOING moments with him and Brad lately, definitely.

def sim

Yeah, he really wanted Brad to go do a story mission instead of dicking around. Haha.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yeah, he really wanted Brad to go do a story mission instead of dicking around. Haha.

I did too....there is a finite amount of just whacking zombies that I can take. But it was sad to see the story mission was basically just a fetch quest.

def sim

I did too....there is a finite amount of just whacking zombies that I can take. But it was sad to see the story mission was basically just a fetch quest.

Oh yeah, sure. All the demos that we've seen have consisted of mindless killing, so seeing more of the mission types would have been nice. I'm sure we'll see more this Friday.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the bombcast. They really went in on the Kinect last generation, so I expect the same if it's less than stellar now.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't know if it's a Brad thing or a Dead Rising thing, but I'm 45 minutes into this Quick Look and I feel like nothing has happened.

mattp

ugh god this fucking dead rising 3 quicklook. I feel like I'm watching dynasty warriors but with zombies. this is so monotonous and boring

Booshka

Should have immediately started playing on Nightmare mode to get the 72 Hour clock and some direction. The way Dead Rising used to be structured made it move pretty quickly and there was always something to do, and you could choose not to do the story quests anyway. Now, with no time restrictions or sense of urgency, a lot of the tension of the gameplay seems gone. One of the defining features of the series is now just a difficulty setting.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
ugh god this fucking dead rising 3 quicklook. I feel like I'm watching dynasty warriors but with zombies. this is so monotonous and boring

If you're new to the DR series I recommend going nightmare mode from the get go. At least for me, having a time limit was a huge part of the charm and gave you that nudge to keep things moving.

In DR1 and 2 there were multiple things that were on time limits at the same time and a huge part of the game was figuring out how to complete all those missions within the time frame you are given.

Some of the best parts of this series is when I had 12 survivors following me as I was racing to get to a particular point and I was getting dangerously close to being out of time and the game would end with a horrible ending.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
He spent the QL doing what i'll be doing when I get the game. Just fucking around.

That's true(and I'll do the same), but it ends up being a case of what is fun to play isn't necessarily to watch. And they like to have QLs focus on all aspects of a game.

I'm going to play Nightmare mode when I get the game, I would have liked to see him jump into it for a bit. I haven't seen it at all in any footage.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

That's the point of dead rising though. To kill hordes of zombies.

Take that out and you lose what makes it interesting.

demidar

That's the point of dead rising though. To kill hordes of zombies.

Take that out and you lose what makes it interesting.

Not really, the point is to complete objectives and rescue survivors while having the clock and the zombie hordes breathing down your neck. Killing zombies by itself isn't really that appealing for more than an hour. "Great, I made a wheelchair with three assault rifles strapped onto it so I can mow down zombies." *blam blam blam* "Well now that I did that, what do I do now?"

Mr. F

Banned
It was an unusually comprehensive look at the menus and levelling mechanics and crafting, but yeah that DR3 quick look was a dud. Jeff seemed pretty pissed.

Killer Instinct was kind of boring as well.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Not really, the point is to complete objectives and rescue survivors while having the clock and the zombie hordes breathing down your neck. Killing zombies by itself isn't really that appealing for more than an hour. "Great, I made a wheelchair with three assault rifles strapped onto it so I can mow down zombies." *blam blam blam* "Well now that I did that, what do I do now?"

I dunno, the objectives honestly were more like chores.

I know Dead Rising 2 had all kinds of nutty weapon combinations, but is it just me or does the stuff in DR3 seem even more out there? Like, being able to fuse some kind of flamethrower spike steamroller or a magical ice elemental staff that's supposed to be made out of like dry ice and a stop light or whatever. Your dude seems less Zombie Apocalypse MacGuyver and more Magical Gadget Wizard.

Did Dead Rising 2 get that crazy? I might be remembering it wrong, but that game it seemed like most of the combinations were stuff that anybody with duct tape and a garage could theoretically make.

DR2 you made a lightsaber out of diamonds and a flashlight. And an airhorn made of a traffic cone and spray paint that made zombie heads explode. Also fire extinguisher froze and shattered zombies

ryanmac

Banned

Yeah. I was thinking to myself there must be a bit of workplace animosity between the two. We all have co-workers like that. Spend all that time together and you just get on each other's nerves.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Yeah. I was thinking to myself there must be a bit of workplace animosity between the two. We all have co-workers like that. Spend all that time together and you just get on each other's nerves.

Spend enough time together like they do and you start to treat them like siblings growing up in the same house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom