• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CzarTim

Yeah, I got fed up with Gold around the time they upped the price. I'm pissed at Sony for requiring Plus for online, but at least it's cheaper.

Perhaps now at the end of the 360's lifespan Live Gold membership is down, but I knew literally no one that didn't have Gold from probably '07-'10. For all the non-PC gamer friends I knew, Live Gold was THE REASON to get a 360 at the start of this generation.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/60687-xbox-live-users-topple-40-million

from last year,

The number of Xbox 360 consoles that have been sold is now over 66 million, Microsoft confirmed.

Company CEO Steve Ballmer gave an update on all the relevant Xbox numbers during his keynote address at this week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Ballmer said that of those 66 million Xbox 360 consoles, there are 40 million users who have signed up for an online Xbox Live account. That's a pretty good connectivity rate.

So that's 26 million that have never even been online. Probably halve the 40 million for 20 million gold subs.

MS was fucking insane with that DRM.

CzarTim

Perhaps now at the end of the 360's lifespan Live Gold membership is down, but I knew literally no one that didn't have Gold from probably '07-'10. For all the non-PC gamer friends I knew, Live Gold was THE REASON to get a 360 at the start of this generation.

Oh yeah, totally. But like everything with the 360, it went cold towards the end of the gen.

FStop7

Banned
Patrick asking "Who doesn't have XBox live gold anyway?" on the Podcast.... Geez Patrick., maybe you should realize that most people don't get it for free like you do every year and not everybody want to pay 60$ a year to use the majority of the features on a console.

Another great example of a game journalist completely disconnected from the reality of a normal user actually having to pay for his games/services.

Wait. Patrick asked that? Just a couple of months ago he talked at length about how he let his Gold sub lapse and wasn't interested in it and it was a waste. Are you sure it was Patrick?

Kerned

Banned
Yeah, I got fed up with Gold around the time they upped the price. I'm pissed at Sony for requiring Plus for online, but at least it's cheaper.

But with PS+ you also get some pretty awesome benefits in the form of free and discounted games. And no, you don't get to keep the free stuff forever, but you still get to play a bunch of games for nothing more than the cost of your subscription. We'll see if MS manages to catch up with that when they detail their Free with Gold stuff next year.

Megasoum

Banned
Wait. Patrick asked that? Just a couple of months ago he talked at length about how he let his Gold sub lapse and wasn't interested in it and it was a waste.

He also talked about the fact it wasn't a factor for him because he receives a 1y gold card from Microsoft every christmas.

This'll probably be my last year of having Gold. I'm not planning on getting an xbone, and I rarely play multiplayer games, and if I do I generally don't play them for long. The main services I use that require gold are Netflix, Amazon, and HBOGo. I can use Netflix and Amazon on my PS3 or buy a Roku if it came to that. All I'll really be missing out on is HBOGo (fuck you Comcast).

Giant Bomb's ql of Crimson Dragon is up

Looks decent so far. Definitely shows its 360 roots, but not a bad looking game.

hm... not liking that there's so much store stuff... gated levels... etc. DLC shit...
Why can't they just make it like the old ones? All this stuff just gets in the way of this sort of game!!

Don't like that you can't quickly shift your view with the shoulder buttons.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Happy birthday, Alo!

Thanks! It was a great night out.

So Digital Foundry report that the framerate issues with CoD Ghosts are actually juddering caused by the game trying to run at a frame rate higher than 60.

The power advantage of the PS4 and the incompetency of Infinity Ward really are cut and dried.

That is absolutely hilarious.

And yeah, Patricks comments on gold seem incredibly off base.

Megasoum

Banned
I'll have to listen to that part because honestly that sounds decidedly un-Patrick.

This wasn't in the podcast. It was in a jar time or a morning show a couple of months ago. Can't remember where/when exactly.

And don't get me wrong, I don't care if journalists are getting free Gold, they need it for work anyway. What bothers me is when said journalists keep repeating that cost of live or price of games (versus length for example) is a non issue.

I'll have to listen to that part because honestly that sounds decidedly un-Patrick.

You mean Patrick "We haven't done a story about the 1080p vrs 720p difference because doesn't matter since I have a 720p TV" Klepek?

Granted he kind of owned up to his mistakes for that one.

sixghost

It was really bizarre owning a 360 after I stopped paying for gold. You just couldn't access half of some of the games you paid for because you don't subscribe to some additional bullshit. It still makes sense to subscribe if you play a ton of multiplayer games, but if you just want to play some FIFA or Street Fighter online every once in a while, $60 a year is a joke. The fact that you can't even play any sort of unranked, non-matchmaking multiplayer is just so odd.

That's not even mentioning all the non-gaming stuff that they hide behind the paywall.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Patrick asking "Who doesn't have XBox live gold anyway?" on the Podcast.... Geez Patrick., maybe you should realize that most people don't get it for free like you do every year and not everybody want to pay 60$ a year to use the majority of the features on a console.

Not true.

Definitely received a code or two over the years, but I stopped cashing them in and giving them to friends.

Regarding that XBL comment specifically, it wasn't about "why doesn't everyone pay?" and more of a "given how many features are behind Gold, it would surprise me if most people weren't paying for Gold."

You sure do love a dog pile, though. :p

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Granted he kind of owned up to his mistakes for that one.

I don't know. Kind of. Saying you were wrong and learning and progressing from it are two different things. Hearing his XBL comments makes you think he might not be taking criticisms to heart just as much as he says he is.

Cerilli

Neo Member
Hey, I kind of want to play Killer Instinct now. I don't know much about KI, but that quick look made it look pretty rad. The music thing actually seemed pretty awesome, haha.

I feel like people totally over-analyze the slightest comments any of the GB crew make towards each other.
Yes, your feelings are accurate.

It's so easy to get Gold on sale over the course of a year, cheaper MSRP doesn't have to translate into actual price paid.

I've never paid more than $40 for it over the course of my Xbox.

CzarTim

It's so easy to get Gold on sale over the course of a year, cheaper MSRP doesn't have to translate into actual price paid.

I've never paid more than $40 for it over the course of my Xbox.
A Chromecast is less than $40 one time fee and lets me do media stuff.

I feel like you guys are reading too much into Patricks comment, the tone of it made it sound like a little joking quip that he just threw out there without much thought.

Maybe I should listen to that part again though, but I don't have a time stamp for it.

Curufinwe

I feel like you guys are reading too much into Patricks comment, the tone of it made it sound like a little joking quip that he just threw out there without much thought.

Maybe I should listen to that part again though, but I don't have a time stamp for it.

I agree, but it is worth discussing, and Patrick is asking for responses on twitter.

Lunzio

Gonna be ME2 vs Dark Souls in the GotG vote :d I'm curious to see how that goes.

I can appreciate Dark Souls for what it is, especially after putting in 15 hours or so, but c'mon! Game of the generation?! Ehhh.

LoLS is an awesome feature though :)

Not true.

Definitely received a code or two over the years, but I stopped cashing them in and giving them to friends.

Regarding that XBL comment specifically, it wasn't about "why doesn't everyone pay?" and more of a "given how many features are behind Gold, it would surprise me if most people weren't paying for Gold."

What is the breakdown of Gold subscribers, Silver users, and non account using 360 owners? Maybe you should inquire about that.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Not true.

I haven't listened the the podcast yet to see whether the way it's being interpreted makes sense, but I'm kind of with you here. Why would you not have gold if you have an Xbox at this point?

Of course, I also seriously question why anybody would buy an Xbox at this point.

Adult swim games are awesome nowadays though

Adult Swim are a better game publisher than a TV network-thing nowadays, part of that I think is down to the lack of crossover tonally between their shows and the games they choose to publish.

That said, I would love a NTSF:SUV::SUV game. Possibly in the vein of Tex Murphy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom