• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man does Rorie seem like a such a sour-puss during the Bear Stearns Bravo segment on UPF. He gave it about twenty seconds before he literally went "I'm bored." It wasn't the biggest smile to start with, but when Rorie goes "L.O.L," you can see Vinny's face just completely change as he looks towards Rorie.

I like Rorie, but after this and not being able to make it through the Box Office Bomb podcast where they talked about The World's End and Elysium, I question how was able to tolerate his opinions on Screened for the year or so that website was pretty much just him with some Alex inputs.

LiK

Latest UF was great but I agree I didn't like Rorie being the party pooper during the Bear Stearns segment. Should've just let Jeff get through it cuz there was probably some gold to be had from it. The loud sighs and yawns wasn't really cool, bro.

Man does Rorie seem like a such a sour-puss during the Bear Stearns Bravo segment on UPF. He gave it about twenty seconds before he literally went "I'm bored." It wasn't the biggest smile to start with, but when Rorie goes "L.O.L," you can see Vinny's face just completely change as he looks towards Rorie.

I like Rorie, but after this and not being able to make it through the Box Office Bomb podcast where they talked about The World's End and Elysium, I question how was able to tolerate his opinions on Screened for the year or so that website was pretty much just him with some Alex inputs.

I haven't got to that bit of the UPF yet, Only managed to watch the first 30 mins or so, but going from his screened days and the fact he was hitting that neat gin at the start, is it possible he was drunk? There was a couple of friday shows and stuff during that period where he was obviously leathered and would become, shall we say, more impolite?

FStop7

Banned
Voicing displeasure over something like that Bear Sterns thing while not coming off like a dick is a bit of a high wire act. Rorie didn't pull it off successfully, but you can't win 'em all.

That said, it the B.S. thing wasn't even funny. It was tryhard dumb. The FMV game parodies that Giant Bomb did were a lot better.

LiK

I haven't got to that bit of the UPF yet, Only managed to watch the first 30 mins or so, but going from his screened days and the fact he was hitting that neat gin at the start, is it possible he was drunk? There was a couple of friday shows and stuff during that period where he was obviously leathered and would become, shall we say, more impolite?

He didn't drink any of it, iirc cuz of the coffee smell. He mentioned later on the show that he hates coffee.

Voicing displeasure over something like that Bear Sterns thing while not coming off like a dick is a bit of a high wire act. Rorie didn't pull it off successfully, but you can't win 'em all.

That said, it the B.S. thing wasn't even funny. It was tryhard dumb. The FMV game parodies that Giant Bomb did were a lot better.

I would agree but Jeff said there were so good stuff in it later but I don't think we even got that far. I trust Jeff's instincts when it comes to humor but he bailed cuz Rorie wasn't into it.

KorrZ

I haven't watched UPF yet, so I can't really say if it was actually funny or not but I do think it's not necessarily a bad thing to have someone point out when something isn't working. GB has a tendency to let some things go on for wayyyy too long.

I haven't watched UPF yet, so I can't really say if it was actually funny or not but I do think it's not necessarily a bad thing to have someone point out when something isn't working. GB has a tendency to let some things go on for wayyyy too long.

Every time someone mentions GB dragging something on too long, I get a flashback to the John Drake tracker PAX thing, oh god I couldn't take it.

LiK

He really didn't give it a chance. Rorie hated it literally a few min after it started.

LCfiner

when you get around to it, you’ll see why some of us are poo-pooing Rorie’s reaction. It was very passive aggressive with lots of loud sighs and then a spelling out of “ell ohh ell” near the end that was weird.

it wasn’t as if he were breaking down what wasn’t working in a funny way. he was just making annoying noises indicating his displeasure.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
LOL...they're talking about me on the radio show.

What did you do? I'd watch it, but the morning show is totally not my cup of tea. Nothing against Patrick, but his views on the subjects he chooses to talk about on the show don't really interest me (and it's not like he shouldn't talk about it, he should, I just don't care).

Alex is a totally different thing. I never could stand him for more than two seconds. Nothing against him or his job, he does it perfectly and his reviews are really helpful. I just don't like his manners of speak and his cadence.

He didn't drink any of it, iirc cuz of the coffee smell. He mentioned later on the show that he hates coffee.

That was the brandy, he did drink some of the gin, wasn't really paying that much attention so I don't know how mucg. But yeah, the fmv wasn't that great and I lost interest not long after "L.O.L." when that guy with the stock market visor was talking, but it still had an occasional moment.

I hope I wasn't this bad when me and my friend saw We're the Millers.

popo

Every time someone mentions GB dragging something on too long, I get a flashback to the John Drake tracker PAX thing, oh god I couldn't take it.

It didn't get much (if any) coverage on the site though. You had to be reading message board threads like this one or following them on twitter to get caught up in it - even then it was never meant to be more than an in-joke for the amusement of their own circle of friends.

It is like when you visit in-laws for christmas and they all want to watch this terrible old film and recite the lines along with it because it is a family tradiction and so god damn funnny and you think it is lame and after a few eggnogs you tell them so and then you are spending christmas eve in the guest room alone. Or something.

LiK

That was the brandy, he did drink some of the gin, wasn't really paying that much attention so I don't know how mucg. But yeah, the fmv wasn't that great and I lost interest not long after "L.O.L." when that guy with the stock market visor was talking, but it still had an occasional moment.

I hope I wasn't this bad when me and my friend saw We're the Millers.

Ah ok, thanks. Yea. I didn't like what Rorie did. He sorta killed the segment before it even got off the ground. We saw a few choices and some idle animations before Jeff decided to quit.

Zaph

BSB was terrible (not in a good way). No clue how it managed to resonate with Jeff, it missed almost all the beats of the FMV-era.

The funniest thing about it was the Polygon interview where they name dropped Night Trap as an inspiration.

Rorie was too kind.

FStop7

Banned
BSB was terrible (not in a good way). No clue how it managed to resonate with Jeff, it missed almost all the beats of the FMV-era.

The funniest thing about it was the Polygon interview where they name dropped Night Trap as an inspiration.

Rorie was too kind.

Rorie tried to pull a Ryan move: being a jerk while remaining endearing. He did not succeed.

I haven't seen the segment, but from what I've heard about BSB it sounds like the FMV equivalent of an "retro 8-bit indie game" that's just a bunch of not-8-bit pixel art and chiptunes and 8-bit references.

You know, I wonder what the chances of them doing midnight streams are for the consoles. I guess that didn't happen with the Wii U though.
They will be able to do a live event before the console it out I assume.
Nintendo is way to weird with video.

But I assume MS and Sony are better that way.
Last time around it was fine to do a live thing like at least a few days before the launch,

popo

GTA Online (Neo Geo if it is broken), more Dark Souls, D&D, Spookin. Shaping up to be a decent week.

Rorie tried to pull a Ryan move: being a jerk while remaining endearing. He did not succeed.

To be fair Ryan didn't always pull it off either - and he was way more practised at it.

They will be able to do a live event before the console it out I assume.
Nintendo is way to weird with video.

But I assume MS and Sony are better that way.
Last time around it was fine to do a live thing like at least a few days before the launch,

I dunno. I think they will allow unboxing and some streaming before launch but I bet there will be restrictions on what they can show. I think they will want to do the main stream day of - so that they can show whatever they like, warts and all. Not midnight though. No point. Limited audience and half of them have families.

ArjanN

I haven't seen the segment, but from what I've heard about BSB it sounds like the FMV equivalent of an "retro 8-bit indie game" that's just a bunch of not-8-bit pixel art and chiptunes and 8-bit references.

Sort of. Really the most interesting thing about is was the way it was revealed with an ARG.

And Rorie has probably just seen too many "funny because it's ironic" movies in his life already.

LordCanti

For me, the old FMV games are endearing because they feature actual actors trying their best (and failing) to act well. Seeing something ape that with intentionally bad acting was just annoying to me personally. I don't think Rorie should have shit on it in the middle of Jeff doing it though, because clearly Jeff was enjoying it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, he was right to cut off the bear sterns stuff early. So painfully unfunny in how they try to be ironic.

GB themselves pulled off the fmv parody 100 times better than they did.

Bear Stearns Bravo mixes the humor level of Retro City Rampage or r/gaming "does anyone remember this gem" bullshit with jokes about The Banks that would have been tired four years ago. Then again I kind of feel the same way about all of Twisted Pixel's FMV stuff, so maybe I'm just jaded. I just feel like FMV isn't funny if it's trying to be funny.

That being said Rorie was being a bit of a party pooper.

LCfiner

Nah, he was right to cut off the bear sterns stuff early. So painfully unfunny in how they try to be ironic.

GB themselves pulled off the fmv parody 100 times better than they did.

But Rorie didn’t cut it off. Jeff went through it as he would otherwise. The difference was a weird vibe because of Rorie.

Like the post above mentioned, Rorie needed to follow the first rule of improv. always say yes. there are much better ways to point out the poor quality of the BSB video. don’t be a sighing, moaning negative force when on a live show.

chogidogs

Like the post above mentioned, Rorie needed to follow the first rule of improv. always say yes. there are much better ways to point out the poor quality of the BSB video. don’t be a sighing, moaning negative force when on a live show.

When you say Rorie, the last thing i think about is improv. The man said it himself, "I'm not really funny, I just have alot of references."

Bear Stearns Bravo mixes the humor level of Retro City Rampage or r/gaming "does anyone remember this gem" bullshit with jokes about The Banks that would have been tired four years ago. Then again I kind of feel the same way about all of Twisted Pixel's FMV stuff, so maybe I'm just jaded. I just feel like FMV isn't funny if it's trying to be funny.

Yep. Well, FMV isn't funny when... FMV isn't funny if it's being made by people who are aware of bad FMV, if that makes sense. If you've played/watched a lot of bad FMV games, and then go "I wanna make my own!", you've already lost. BSB is the perfect embodiment of this.

That new Tex Murphy game looks far more spot-on with what people want from a new FMV game.

fleck0

Rorie doesn't need to act like he's in a herald. He just didn't need to piss and moan quite so aggressively.

LCfiner

Rorie doesn't need to act like he's in a herald. He just didn't need to piss and moan quite so aggressively.

exactly. there’s funnier, more camera-friendly ways to show displeasure at something. And if someone can’t think of any, then it’s probably best not to say anything...

Zornack

I don't think Rorie acted nearly as badly as some of you are making it sound. I really had no issue with what he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom