• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serra

I can appreciate Dark Souls for what it is, especially after putting in 15 hours or so, but c'mon! Game of the generation?! Ehhh.

hnnnnngggg

Seriously though Dark Souls is definitely my "game of the generation". Although the concept of a GotG sounds fucking stupid to me since I play mostly on the PC. Next-gen erryday baby.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
To be fair it doesn't change dramatically. You could argue the level design gets progressivly worse. If you love it after 15 hours then likely you will continue to love it and vice versa.

Depending how good you are 15 hours can mean many different things however.

For example, I've been watching Jeff Green livestream Dark Souls and at the 9 hour mark he had just gotten past killing the first armored boar in the first area of the game.

At the 9 hour mark for myself, I was probably up against the Butterfly boss.

And while some parts do get worse (mainly Izalith) there are some other really unique and awesome sections - like the Tomb of Giants.

njean777

Depending how good you are 15 hours can mean many different things however.

For example, I've been watching Jeff Green livestream Dark Souls and at the 9 hour mark he had just gotten past killing the first armored boar in the first area of the game.

At the 9 hour mark for myself, I was probably up against the Butterfly boss.

And while some parts do get worse (mainly Izalith) there are some other really unique and awesome sections - like the Tomb of Giants.

I really wish they would have explored more of Izalith, it is such a cool area, but it seems they had to rush or something to get the game out.

phuturist

Banned
hnnnnngggg

Seriously though Dark Souls is definitely my "game of the generation". Although the concept of a GotG sounds fucking stupid to me since I play mostly on the PC. Next-gen erryday baby.

"fucking stupid" is a bit harsh. Even on the PC you can clearly see which generation you are on right now. I mean look at Arkham Origins now and then look at whatever Rocksteady is working on that will come out next year or so and tell me that there was not a big sudden shift.

Yikes, Crimson Dragon looks like absolute tripe. They should have just made the thing free to play if they were going to gate everything like that.

fleck0

Adult Swim are a better game publisher than a TV network-thing nowadays, part of that I think is down to the lack of crossover tonally between their shows and the games they choose to publish.

That said, I would love a NTSF:SUV::SUV game. Possibly in the vein of Tex Murphy.

Dang such a good idea. If any comedian could/would make an FMV game I'd think it would be Paul Scheer, hell he got The ArScheerio Paul Show made.

Lunzio

I'm certainly not saying I experienced everything with the game in those 15 hours. There's a hell of a lot that I didn't get to for personal taste reasons. What I am saying is that I did not spend a cursory time with it before passing judgment on my own opinion of it. Obviously this is an opinion-based poll and everyone will have their own take on each experience.

To me, mechanically, it's a solid game, but the narrative had a lot to improve upon. There are games out there, in my opinion, that do both of these much better.

Yeah, Lococycle seems like a game based on a premise that popped in someone's head one day but, over its development, no one could think of any way to flesh it out into something worth playing. They just kept on going anyway.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
To me, mechanically, it's a solid game, but the narrative had a lot to improve upon.

If you spent 15 hours with the game, I'm fairly certain you have near no real experience with the narrative.

It's not served to you, it's placed for you to discover. If you're going to say the narrative had a lot to improve on then I think you should really experience the narrative first because there is a LOT more going on than most people realize if they just decide to dig a little to discover as the games director intended. The intro cinematic and in game characters don't directly tell you much about what's really happening in the world you inhabit. It's something you find.

Lunzio

If you spent 15 hours with the game, I'm fairly certain you have near no real experience with the narrative.

It's not served to you, it's placed for you to discover. If you're going to say the narrative had a lot to improve on then I think you should really experience the narrative first because there is a LOT more going on than most people realize if they just decide to dig a little to discover as the games director intended. The intro cinematic and in game characters don't directly tell you much about what's really happening in the world you inhabit. It's something you find.

Fair point here. I don't necessarily think that narratives should be handed to you on a sliver platter, but, at least from my understanding, there is acknowledgement from those who have spent the time with it that it has something to improve upon.

Obviously this is all based upon what I look for in games so it's completely subjective. I don't expect a cutscene after every encounter, but I surely didn't have any incentive to keep with the game based on the story it was trying to tell me, or story that it didn't tell me.

Certainly the amount of content experienced and the amount of time a person spends with the game is sure to vary, but I still believe that I should have known much more about what was happening. 15 hours may seem like nothing in comparison to the whole story... but that's a substantial amount of time for me.

ArjanN

I think its the low res normal map on the ground that gives it that budget xbox / ps2 game look.

Yeah, it does have sort of that look.

I thought Lococycle looked OK though, basically like their other games in that there's average gameplay held up by some pretty good comedy.

I think people are being a tad harsh on it, if you judge it as a showpiece for your expensive new console it sucks, but for a game I will buy for 5 bucks in a Steam sale next year, it seems fine and is probably worth it for the cutscenes.

sixghost

Was it just me or was there a huge drop in the visual quality of Lococycle between the Laboratory level and the daytime level. The former didn't exactly look great, but the latter looked like Cruisin' USA.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Fair point here. I don't necessarily think that narratives should be handed to you on a sliver platter, but, at least from my understanding, there is acknowledgement from those who have spent the time with it that it has something to improve upon.

Obviously this is all based upon what I look for in games so it's completely subjective. I don't expect a cutscene after every encounter, but I surely didn't have any incentive to keep with the game based on the story it was trying to tell me, or story that it didn't tell me.

Certainly the amount of content experienced and the amount of time a person spends with the game is sure to vary, but I still believe that I should have known much more about what was happening. 15 hours may seem like nothing in comparison to the whole story... but that's a substantial amount of time for me.

I'm not saying 15 hours isn't substantial, it's just comparatively small. It's a massive game and for it to truly be appreciated, I think that it needs to be fully experienced, highs and lows.

Why a lot of people consider it GOTG is because even though it does - like any game - have lows, it's highs soar so incredibly high that most games just never reach that same level.

The sense of satisfaction that the game brings is next to nothing any other game has ever really brought on for me. Most games if you can't beat a boss then you're either missing the point of the battle (target its weak spot for massive damage!), missing a pattern, or you've gotta grind and upgrade.

In Dark Souls, it is wholly possible to beat the game at level one - never upgrading your character and a lot of people have done it. Because in Dark Souls, it's more about skill than anything else. When you overcome some ridiculously tough battle, it's most often because you got better at the game and you learned how to beat him. You practiced, and you watched, and you learned.

Look at the last episode of LOLS. That final Vinny vs Artorias fight was incredible. Looking at it, Vinny looked REALLY fuckin good at the game! Compare his final battle with Artorias to his first and you can see that he got better. He started dodging more effectively, he became much more patient with his attacks and maintained himself and the excitement when he finally did it was huge!

The story is similar in that it's not easy to find but once you do, the lore is really really interesting and deep. The way everything ties in together and actually feels like a place rather than a video game world is something, again, most games completely fail to pull off.

It has the lows like being pretty damned dense to originally get into, Lost Izalith, the boss run to the Four Kings. But for as bad those lows can seem at times, it soars on so many other occasions.

Yuripaw

Banned
tumblr_mwj08zer351t0b8wgo1_1280.png

Did I make this and completely forgot about it?

Dynamic3

That giant Dewritos add is absurd. It expands, because it's so f'in big I need to move my mouse across it to click on the video below, nearly covering my entire screen; then when I accidentally click on it, it starts a download.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I dunno guys. I scrolled the first twenty or so and most of them just seem stupid or terrible or both.

Edit: Jesus. I scrolled through some more and they just get fucking weird. People are either taking the piss, or have borderline-obsessive attachments to certain staff members.

Lunzio

I'm not saying 15 hours isn't substantial, it's just comparatively small. It's a massive game and for it to truly be appreciated, I think that it needs to be fully experienced, highs and lows.

Why a lot of people consider it GOTG is because even though it does - like any game - have lows, it's highs soar so incredibly high that most games just never reach that same level.

The sense of satisfaction that the game brings is next to nothing any other game has ever really brought on for me. Most games if you can't beat a boss then you're either missing the point of the battle (target its weak spot for massive damage!), missing a pattern, or you've gotta grind and upgrade.

In Dark Souls, it is wholly possible to beat the game at level one - never upgrading your character and a lot of people have done it. Because in Dark Souls, it's more about skill than anything else. When you overcome some ridiculously tough battle, it's most often because you got better at the game and you learned how to beat him. You practiced, and you watched, and you learned.

Look at the last episode of LOLS. That final Vinny vs Artorias fight was incredible. Looking at it, Vinny looked REALLY fuckin good at the game! Compare his final battle with Artorias to his first and you can see that he got better. He started dodging more effectively, he became much more patient with his attacks and maintained himself and the excitement when he finally did it was huge!

The story is similar in that it's not easy to find but once you do, the lore is really really interesting and deep. The way everything ties in together and actually feels like a place rather than a video game world is something, again, most games completely fail to pull off.

It has the lows like being pretty damned dense to originally get into, Lost Izalith, the boss run to the Four Kings. But for as bad those lows can seem at times, it soars on so many other occasions.

I think it's pretty rad that you took so much from the game. I definitely wish I could've have a similar experience! Certain parts of what I look for in a game have changed over the years, which definitely morphed my enjoyment. I also think it's awesome that we can have completely different feelings on our favorite game of the generations - speaks volumes to the years that we've had in gaming. For example, I could probably go into a lengthy diatribe about why i would prefer ME2 - honestly one of the most captivating and engrossing series for my playstyle.

Definitely have to agree about the Artorias battle too! I even felt a sense of accomplishment at the end of that episode. Just like DOTA (personally), I could watch it all day rather than play it, given the right commentators. There's definitely a sound argument for the game of the generation.

dark souls is (to me) clearly an anthology of the entire run of From's RPGs from King's Field to Demon's Souls. it is a master work of artistic vision and the culmination of so many ideas into one cohesive whole. unquestionably game of the generation.

Dragon

Banned
I dunno guys. I scrolled the first twenty or so and most of them just seem stupid or terrible or both.

Edit: Jesus. I scrolled through some more and they just get fucking weird. People are either taking the piss, or have borderline-obsessive attachments to certain staff members.

Yeah I'm not going to take someone seriously who has Rorie as their avatar picture xD.

def sim

You guys.

Please stop posting those.

As a fan of both games - who do you think is more aggressively defensive, Dark Souls fans or Last of Us fans? :p

Like a nut, I got rid of my consoles early on and so I missed out on TLOU. Dark Souls is automatically the GoTG to me and, clearly, the much better game.

phuturist

Banned
Yeah, please stop. It feels weird enough when people still post something along the lines of "That reminds me of Ryan, now I am really sad again =(" nowadays.

Yeah, please stop. It feels weird enough when people still post something along the lines of "That reminds me of Ryan, now I am really sad again =(" nowadays.

It's weird but understandable since they are the most personality-driven game website around. You know so much about their lives. They do videos of the most mundane activities, to give you the fly on the wall feel. When you have that much contact with them on such an intimate level, it's understandable to eventually feel a personal connection.

SummitAve

Banned
It's weird but understandable since they are the most personality-driven game website around. You know so much about their lives. They do videos of the most mundane activities, to give you the fly on the wall feel. When you have that much contact with them on such an intimate level, it's understandable to eventually feel a personal connection.

You could watch and listen to every bit of content Giant Bomb has put out 10x over, and this still wouldn't be true.

You could watch and listen to every bit of content Giant Bomb has put out 10x over, and this still wouldn't be true.

Jeff has done Go Pro twitch streams of just him driving. Their everyday proceedings, what foods they like, people they interact with, roommates, HR, etc.

paul187

Patrick asking "Who doesn't have XBox live gold anyway?" on the Podcast.... Geez Patrick., maybe you should realize that most people don't get it for free like you do every year and not everybody want to pay 60$ a year to use the majority of the features on a console.

Another great example of a game journalist completely disconnected from the reality of a normal user actually having to pay for his games/services.

Just got to this part and I don't see what is so wrong with what he said, seems like the usually Patrick bashing for no reason.

Dude said "for the people listening to this not to have a gold subscription" which was rebutted with "Matt Rorie doesn't" then he replied with "we'll, Rorie is a PC gamer". I don't get The rage or why this was even beought up. This conversastion came up because of KI being Gold only. Which I agree with Patrick, people who buy Xbone day one will most likely have a gold subscription.

I feel bad for the dude to get his shit nit picked to this degree.

Anyways, it was great to have Patrick back. I don't really listen to the morning show much, so it was great to hear his thoughts on games again. His presence on the podcast has been missed.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just got to this part and I don't see what is so wrong with what he said, seems like the usually Patrick bashing for no reason.

Dude said "for the people listening to this not to have a gold subscription" which was rebutted with "Matt Rorie doesn't" then he replied with "we'll, Rorie is a PC gamer". I don't get The rage or why this was even beought up. This conversastion came up because of KI being Gold only. Which I agree with Patrick, people who buy Xbone day one will most likely have a gold subscription.

I feel bad for the dude to get his shit nit picked to this degree.

Anyways, it was great to have Patrick back. I don't really listen to the morning show much, so it was great to hear his thoughts on games again. His presence on the podcast has been missed.

"Most people will probably have Gold anyway" doesn't excuse it. That's basically equivalent to just saying "Whatever, deal with it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom