• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truant

Dark Souls really captured this generation in a lot of ways. It was a game that was made popular due to social media and word of mouth. It was really special to "be there" when the game came out, as everyone was discovering and learning about it as we went along. It spawned countless memes, it helped popularize the "rouge-lite" style of design, and championed clever ways of storytelling while keeping the gameplay in focus.

It's the only game this generation that I played purely for the "gameplay".

eZsg1Cs.png

paul187

Do you understand the irony in calling that free to play?

Well, you got me there.

I just don't get the outrage. I can understand about putting a service like NetFlix behind a pay wall being extremely shitty.

But for a game like KI, it's like a bonus for the service. I don't get how someone is out of touch to suggest that people who are so invested that they buy a console on day one and are listening to a weekly podcast about games who are exclusive console gamers to not have a Gold subscription.

Online play is locked behind a pay wall on Sony too now. It's not far fetched for Sony to put their own free to play games behind a pay wall either. If they don't already do so. It's not far fetched to suggest a gamer who games on PS4 exclusively will most likely have a PS+ subscription.

These services need incentives like this to differentiate them from each other. That's why Sony started with the PS+ system in the first place. If you deem value in what they're offering then you'll bite. That's the reason behind KI being behind a pay wall.

Mr. F

Banned
Twisted Pixel fucking sucks, sorry. They also may just have the most consistently awful art direction in the industry.

I think the zoomed in camera when you boost in lococycle looks really neat but otherwise it seems a bit of a mess that I almost can't believe is actually a thing. Might give it a buy when it drops to 10 dollars or less for Rico.

sixghost

Well, you got me there.

I just don't get the outrage. I can understand about putting a service like NetFlix behind a pay wall being extremely shitty.

But for a game like KI, it's like a bonus for the service. I don't get how someone is out of touch to suggest that people who are so invested that they buy a console on day one and are listening to a weekly podcast about games who are exclusive console gamers to not have a Gold subscription.

Online play is locked behind a pay wall on Sony too now. It's not far fetched for Sony to put their own free to play games behind a pay wall either. If they don't already do so. It's not far fetched to suggest a gamer who games on PS4 exclusively will most likely have a PS+ subscription.

These services need incentives like this to differentiate them from each other. That's why Sony started with the PS+ system in the first place. If you deem value in what they're offering then you'll bite. That's the reason behind KI being behind a pay wall.
With both consoles charging for multiplayer, I wouldn't be surprised if people buying both of them just choose one online service to subscribe to. So many of the features overlap between gold and ps+ anyway.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Well, you got me there.

Putting KI behind a paywall isn't the issue (though f2p labelling on it is misleading). The issue is acting like it's dumb for a person to not pay an extra $60 yearly for XBL Gold and to just assume that everyone has it. Everyone values things differently and to treat people like they're doing Xbox wrong just because they prefer to do things differently is really weirdly exclusionary.

Especially to say "The majority of XBL users have gold." That's just out of touch. He could try and argue "The majority of XBL users SHOULD get gold" but that's entirely different from acting like they already do and like it's out of the ordinary to not. Also, the idea that MS shouldn't be serving that minority is again, really weird.

I don't have Gold, neither do most of my friends, so there's very little value in XBL for me. When Halo 4 came out, I bought it and I got XBL Gold because I wanted to play Halo online. I played for 2 weeks then the rest of the year subscription went entirely unused. Why should it be normal to pay for gold?

paul187

Putting KI behind a paywall isn't the issue (though f2p labelling on it is misleading). The issue is acting like it's dumb for a person to not pay an extra $60 yearly for XBL Gold and to just assume that everyone has it. Everyone values things differently and to treat people like they're doing Xbox wrong just because they prefer to do things differently is really weirdly exclusionary.

Especially to say "The majority of XBL users have gold." That's just out of touch. He could try and argue "The majority of XBL users SHOULD get gold" but that's entirely different from acting like they already do and like it's out of the ordinary to not. Also, the idea that MS shouldn't be serving that minority is again, really weird.

I don't have Gold, neither do most of my friends, so there's very little value in XBL for me. When Halo 4 came out, I bought it and I got XBL Gold because I wanted to play Halo online. I played for 2 weeks then the rest of the year subscription went entirely unused. Why should it be normal to pay for gold?

Uh.. He doesn't say this. He says "the majority of listeners have gold" which isn't that far of a stretch considering listening to a podcast about games implies that you are more invested then the regular consumer. Then the Rorie rebuttal which he replies with "he plays PC not consoles." So again I don't get the outrage.

I think you're taking an off handed comment way too seriously. It's not normal to pay for gold, but again it's not normal to listen to a podcast every week about games. So implying that people who are more invested into gaming and are console exclusive gamers to have a paid subscription model isn't that far fetched.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The guy who, by giving up his free time, allows us more Vinny and Drew time?

Yeah, what a scumbag...

Relax, I'm joking. I don't actually hold disdain for Ian. I'm pretty much talking specifically about the Pathfinder incident that picture of Rorie is from.

Not sure what you mean about giving up free time though. I think it's safe to assume Ian is still getting paid a wage when he's helping on the GB side.

Curufinwe

Uh.. He doesn't say this. He says "the majority of listeners have gold" which isn't that far of a stretch considering listening to a podcast about games implies that you are more invested then the regular consumer. Then the Rorie rebuttal which he replies with "he plays PC not consoles." So again I don't get the outrage.

I think you're taking an off handed comment way too seriously. It's not normal to pay for gold, but again it's not normal to listen to a podcast every week about games. So implying that people who are more invested into gaming and are console exclusive gamers to have a paid subscription model isn't that far fetched.

It was an offhand comment that people need to relax a bit over. But it did expose an interesting assumption that if you listen to Giant Bomb then you play 360 games online. I do, at least for another three months, but there must be a lot of listeners who don't even own a 360, as well as the ones who do but aren't Gold subscribers.

hamchan

This thread took a nosedive with the confession thing, meh...

Good thing it's on hiatus now according to the blog creator.

It's really creepy to me, though if it allowed the creepy part of this thread an outlet to post there instead of here it would have been fine. Instead the creepy fandom just got posted here more because of it I feel. :-/

KingKong

It's really creepy to me, though if it allowed the creepy part of this thread an outlet to post there instead of here it would have been fine. Instead the creepy fandom just got posted here more because of it I feel. :-/

its like 95% jokes. come on people

popo

The guy who, by giving up his free time, allows us more Vinny and Drew time?

Yeah, what a scumbag...

He is clearly an asset to the office. After that Pathfinder meltdown though, I am not sure I would want to hang out with him. To be fair, even the mild mannered Vinny and Dave were subtly suggesting he STFU.

"Most people will probably have Gold anyway" doesn't excuse it. That's basically equivalent to just saying "Whatever, deal with it."

I just listened to this bit and it is worth mentioning that Jeff and Vinny immediately said they though he was wrong. He has later admitted as much and solicited views on twitter about it. I think we can let it go.

lol that's every confessions tumblr page though, this was pretty tame compared to the rest of them. yet the creator freaks out saying shit like "I personally don’t want to be involved in something that could hurt them." aren't they in their thirties/late twenties? they really don't need to be babied...

He is clearly an asset to the office. After that Pathfinder meltdown though, I am not sure I would want to hang out with him. To be fair, even the mild mannered Vinny and Dave were subtly suggesting he STFU.

I don't watch Pathfinder. What happened?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think people who talk about how publishers are all out to get them are crazy with some exceptions like From Ashes being an obvious cash grab.

...But Crimson Dragon, wow. That is some of the grossest game stuff I've ever seen.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I don't watch Pathfinder. What happened?

In a nut shell: Ian was adamant he was correct about a certain rule and Rorie disagreed. Rorie lays down the law and doesn't allow Ian's version of the rule to play out, effectively meaning Ian's character was going to get attacked/killed. Ian gets upset and makes a bunch of sarcastic comments and makes the atmosphere around the table a bit awkward. Vinny pretty much has to shush him at one point because he keeps making comments. Then, lo and behold, Ian realises he was in fact wrong all along, having misread his rule book.

It was actually quite funny and I'd recommend watching it.

In a nut shell: Ian was adamant he was correct about a certain rule and Rorie disagreed. Rorie lays down the law and doesn't allow Ian's version of the rule to play out, effectively meaning Ian's character was going to get attacked/killed. Ian gets upset and makes a bunch of sarcastic comments and makes the atmosphere around the table a bit awkward. Vinny pretty much has to shush him at one point because he keeps making comments. Then, lo and behold, Ian realises he was in fact wrong all along, having misread his rule book.

It was actually quite funny and I'd recommend watching it.

Yeah calling it a "meltdown" is like "Jeff hates irl Brad bc of that DR3 quicklook" levels of exaggeration.

Chuck

Still without luck
It's so weird of the guys to give lococycle a huge pass on looking like dogshit.

And boy does it look like dogshit.

Chuck

Still without luck
FMV aside though, does GB know some Twisted Pixel guys? I find it increasingly weird that they actually shat over the visuals of every other launch game but the one that looks by far the worst they never mention. Very very strange.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
FMV aside though, does GB know some Twisted Pixel guys? I find it increasingly weird that they actually shat over the visuals of every other launch game but the one that looks by far the worst they never mention. Very very strange.

They know Chainsaw. He was on the BLLS

Kalameet wasn't bad for me. Manus fucked me up though but seeing that pendant reflect dark magic tells me, I made it much much worse than it needed to be.

Having watched the quick-looks they seemed to think the graphics were shit but a large part of that was down to it being a 360 game along with Crimson Dragon. Given they were very negative on the gameplay and were very vocal about how much they disliked Ms. Splosionman I think it's pretty odd to claim they have any kind of bias towards them.

At least he's not going for the tail.
Getting Kalameet's tail took me forever.

Spoke too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom