• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha

I finally played Brothers - well, by finally I mean I finished it last week - and it's a hell of a game

Jokes aside, people need to play that shit, also I'm not entirely sure if there IS ten better games released this year

wait is this a joke

i played ten games better than brothers by like june

Insulting people's opinions, right on cue with my opinion of this thread. And if you have played ten better games, just list them rather than being coy about it, and that'll be your opinion which doesn't match Hot Coldman. Or will you be fine when someone calls your list of games a joke, too?

Curufinwe

I just hope Revengeance doesn't get overlooked because it came out so early in the year.

I am getting that on 360 next month, and the Guide which has almost all perfect review scores on Amazon. I doubt I'll like it as much as Bayonetta, but the DLC going free pushed me over the edge towards getting it.

jmood88

Ryse looks like pretty garbage.

If it weren't a platform exclusive launch game it would get 6's across the board. Actually I just saw the review thread and it is getting 6's across the board, so make that 5's.

lol so it's getting what you thought it should get, so that means it should be lower?

Vire

Would be nice if they got around to A Link Between Two Worlds review, I hear great things about that game.

Could be a GOTY contender.

demidar

I just hope Revengeance doesn't get overlooked because it came out so early in the year.

It will get completely overlooked, which is quite sad.

Fantastic game. Also if Brad does play it, I suspect he won't like it that much, but who knows, maybe he won't even get to it. I mean, you got aLBTW and 3D World just sitting in front of you.

Yeah, I want to see this list of 10 games better than Brothers. Even on the Bombcast they got like three games in before the list devolved into nonsense.

My current list before Link Between Worlds (mostly likely going in the top 5):

1. Ni no kuni
2. AC4
3. Guacamelee
4. Revengeance
5. Dota 2
6. Monaco
7. Tomb raider
8. The swapper
9. Dark Moon
10. Fire Emblem Awakening

Curufinwe

Yeah, I want to see this list of 10 games better than Brothers. Even on the Bombcast they got like three games in before the list devolved into nonsense.

I haven't played most of these, but they are all serious top 10 candidates. And there are 20 of them.

AC IV
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Diablo 3
DmC
Fire Emblem Awakening
Forza 5
GT 6
GTA V
Guacamelee!
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Ni No Kuni
Rayman Legends
Resogun
Saints Row IV
Super Mario 3D World
Tearaway
The Last of Us
The Stanley Parable
Tomb Raider
Zelda A Link Between Worlds

Insulting people's opinions, right on cue with my opinion of this thread. And if you have played ten better games, just list them rather than being coy about it, and that'll be your opinion which doesn't match Hot Coldman. Or will you be fine when someone calls your list of games a joke, too?

mate it's a SteveWinwood post

you just roll your eyes, pity him, and ignore it

Brashnir

I haven't played most of these, but they are all serious top 10 candidates. And there are 20 of them.

AC IV
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Diablo 3
DmC
Fire Emblem Awakening
Forza 5
GT 6
GTA V
Guacamelee!
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Ni No Kuni
Rayman Origins
Resogun
Saints Row IV
Super Mario 3D World
Tearaway
The Last of Us
The Stanley Parable
Tomb Raider
Zelda A Link Between Worlds

I assume you mean Legends.

On topic, to the guy who said me liking Brothers so much was a reflection of this year being a bit shit: nah, this year has been amazing.

I just liked Brothers that much. Bit of a bummer ending, like.

Cerilli

Neo Member
Yeah, Brothers really is a great game. Beautiful art design, touching story, and some clever mechanics.

I do like that you can finish it in a couple of hours, makes it easy to go back to and experience again, like a good movie. It would be in my top ten fo sho.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
2572889-bryse.jpg

Magnifique.

Cerilli

Neo Member
Wow. The fuck was wrong with Rogue leader?
Hey, I loved the game and played the CRAP out of it, but it's a fair comparison if you think about it.

It was a great looking, well produced game with fairly repetitive gameplay and not much depth. However, it was still a lot of fun.

here ill just list a bunch of games from this year that are better than brothers that came out before june since apparently 2 people care about what games i think are better than brothers in the giant bomb thread

[listwarz]

Antichamber
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Fire Emblem Awakening
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Runner 2
Lego City Undercover
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
BioShock Infinite
HarmoKnight
BattleBlock Theater
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Don't Starve
Dyad (on pc I'm counting it)
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine
Zeno Clash II
Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move
Gunpoint
The Last of Us
Rogue Legacy

[/listwarz]

there

Those are games I enjoyed more than Brothers. There are games this year that Brothers is better than sure (turns out remember me, not a good game). There are also many games on that list that I didn't particularly enjoy a whole lot, but still more than Brothers.

It was boring, predictable and actually managed to make me roll my eyes about 5 times in the span of 10 minutes. The puzzles weren't fun, new, or interesting which at that point you're left with a press forward to watch cutscenes simulator which boy let me tell you is tons of fun! Especially when they're so full of emotion! The art wasn't even that great, there was ONE interesting area (the giants), and that's it. It didn't look all the great if you ask me either, so I don't know why people were harping on that either.

I have no clue why so many people loved it. The two bombcasts that I've heard with Brad talking about it didn't tell me anything about why he enjoyed it. Just that I should play to the end! Well okay that's 2 hours of my life gone. Thankfully I'm not the only person who thinks this.

This doesn't even count goty dota.

Brashnir

Hey, I loved the game and played the CRAP out of it, but it's a fair comparison if you think about it.

It was a great looking, well produced game with fairly repetitive gameplay and not much depth. However, it was still a lot of fun.

It's too bad Lair didn't make PS3 launch, since it's probably an even better parallel - even down to being switched between waggle and traditional controls.

popo

Mario could be a real contender as a compromise game they can agree upon. The other choices all seem to have one champion each.

I have literally only played two of this year's games.

Revengeance
Rogue Legacy

And Rogue Legacy really isn't top ten material, I think. Unless all those Shocking Bios, Big Auto Thieveries and The Remainder of Ours are shit then Rogue Legacy doesn't even stand a chance.

Revengeance is easily the best character action game ever though.

FStop7

Banned
lol so it's getting what you thought it should get, so that means it should be lower?

Launch goggles lead to inflated scores. I expected it was going to get 7s and 8s and deserve 6s. The fact it actually got 6s makes it sound even worse. It was more of a tongue in cheek comment, anyway.

Those are games I enjoyed more than Brothers. There are games this year that Brothers is better than sure (turns out remember me, not a good game). There are also many games on that list that I didn't particularly enjoy a whole lot, but still more than Brothers.

It was boring, predictable and actually managed to make me roll my eyes about 5 times in the span of 10 minutes. The puzzles weren't fun, new, or interesting which at that point you're left with a press forward to watch cutscenes simulator which boy let me tell you is tons of fun! Especially when they're so full of emotion! The art wasn't even that great, there was ONE interesting area (the giants), and that's it. It didn't look all the great if you ask me either, so I don't know why people were harping on that either.

I have no clue why so many people loved it. The two bombcasts that I've heard with Brad talking about it didn't tell me anything about why he enjoyed it. Just that I should play to the end! Well okay that's 2 hours of my life gone. Thankfully I'm not the only person who thinks this.

This doesn't even count goty dota.

Just like you don't tell me anything on why the game is "boring, predictable", how the puzzles are not new or interesting or fun, or how the art isn't that great. It's not much of an effort to back up statements, surely. And that still gives you reason to call someone's opinion a joke?

I have a clue why people loved it. It's because of the marriage between mechanics and storytelling, and not having to rely on dialogue. That's still a novel thing. The puzzles are new and interesting since there are hardly any games that require you to control two characters at the same time, which can be a different mental challenge. The platforming when both brothers are tied by rope and avoiding the troll in a cage, for example.

Playing Revengeance now and that game isnt top 10 material.

Feels rushed and empty. I am 3 hours into a 4 hour game and already bored. Story is enjoyable nonsense though.

I hope PG make a sequel since the game feels rushed because it was.

How long was it in development at Platinum? A year and a half tops from concept to shipping?

The final act was a major letdown. Mainly the part where they introduce the whole mechanic
swim on your own!
which seems to be leading somewhere, but then it abruptly ends.

Can't see I agree with anything else, though. I really enjoyed the puzzles, thought they were pretty smart and made good use of controlling dual protagonists. Reminded me of Zelda, in the same way of not being overly challenging but having that same, steady release of "clever feelings". It's not a technical marvel (the usual Unreal problems rearing their head, at least on PS3) but I did find the environments pleasing and well-realised. Like you say, the Giants area was pretty fucking cool.

It's one of those games that's about the journey, and it sells that feeling of traversing a vast landscape in a cool way that I haven't seen done quite as well since... well, Journey. I think it's probably not a GOTY contender, by any means - I think even Brad wouldn't go that far - and again, the ending is just a straight bummer with little morale to be gleaned besides "never leave the house", but I think the traversal puzzles were incredibly fun and it just felt pretty fucking clever. Sometimes that's all I need. Fair play to you if it didn't click.

Feels rushed and empty. I am 3 hours into a 4 hour game and already bored. Story is enjoyable nonsense though.

How long was it in development at Platinum? A year and a half tops from concept to shipping?

It's called "lack of excess". Platinum don't really do padding. The game was in development forever; they could have made a longer game, but... they didn't.

Vanquish was short too. Try playing on a harder difficulty. Go for the S-ranks. Most fun I've had all year.

demidar

A year I think.

It's not a 4 hour game.

WillyFive

Rogue Leader was critically acclaimed at launch and had great gameplay. Ryse did not and does not. Perhaps the closest might be Red Steel, but at least that one people regarded as exciting before release; unlike Ryse, which it's quality was very apparent since reveal.

MGR:R's "game time" at the end is just how long it took you to successfully complete each act, cutscenes not included

ergo, if it takes you about an hour to beat the final boss *raises hand* and when you finally do it the fight lasts about 10 minutes, the 10 minutes gets added to the game time

but yeah, it's about 5-6 hours average on a first playthrough usually

Shame none of them sunk their teeth into Pokemon. Hardly surprising, but as someone who hasn't played one since Silver I've been having a great time with it. Seems like they've done a great job at surfacing a lot of the end-game mechanics that dedicated fans have been digging up and utilizing for years, while making solid improvements for the more standard player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom