• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So I guess Ryse is just a whole game of the combat in Assassin's Creed. Few more options, but pretty similar. I could see buying at $20.

Lunzio

Don't do it, Brad! You're dousing this brutal console war with lighter fluid! Monster :(

Plus, in my own opinion, I have more interest in Knack.

Mesoian

It's called "lack of excess". Platinum don't really do padding. The game was in development forever; they could have made a longer game, but... they didn't.

Vanquish was short too. Try playing on a harder difficulty. Go for the S-ranks. Most fun I've had all year.

Eh, it probably has more to do with that game being in development hell for years. A sequel with a more fleshed out development schedule would be nice, but honestly, given that game's history, I'm surprised it came out as well as it did. It's a testament to Platinum that, given the time and handoff, that Revengence was any sort of decent. Games in Revengence's position usually end up being unplayable.

megalowho

GOTY this year is gonna be weird - if you're not sold on the clear cut frontrunner (TLOU) there's a lot of very good to great titles to choose from. I have a list of 20+ games I really enjoyed, huge variety. They all hit certain spots for me but none really elevate above the rest.. my gut tells me The Stanley Parable is the best thing I've played all year, but very interested to hear their deliberations especially since Last of Us is not dominating the conversation over there.

Mesoian

Bioshock was this year, right? I remember they liked it a lot.

Bioshock's case is so strange because, 6 months after it was released and people revisited it, everyone seemed to remember that they don't like First person shooters in general and decided to shit on it for a month. Forget that awful Tom McShea review, it felt like everyone came out of the wood work to say that they didn't think it was a very good game, even though most of them had given it very high reviews at the time.

It's one of the reasons why, going forward, I find myself wanting to read reviews less and less and depend on stuff like Giantbomb which is just off the cuff discussion about how a game is for unsure purchasing decisions. If people are going to give 8's and 9's to games they don't like, why should I value their opinion over just choosing something at random?

GOTY this year is gonna be weird - if you're not sold on the clear cut frontrunner (TLOU) there's a lot of very good to great titles to choose from. I have a list of 20+ games I really enjoyed, huge variety. They all hit certain spots for me but none really elevate above the rest.. my gut tells me The Stanley Parable is the best thing I've played all year, but very interested to hear their deliberations especially since Last of Us is not dominating the conversation over there.

I think it's gonna be a slug fest between Mario 3D World, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us and Saint's Row 4. That's not necessarily my top 4, but I think that's were the lion's share of discussion will be.

Watch fucking Tomb Raider be the GotY.

It'll be up there. Goofiness aside, it was a really solid game.

bonercop

Yeah, I want to see this list of 10 games better than Brothers. Even on the Bombcast they got like three games in before the list devolved into nonsense.

fire emblem awakening
metal gear rising
ray man legends
saints row iv
shin megami tensei iv
TLoU
phoenix wright dual destinies
zeno clash deuce
papers, please

well, fuck, I can't think of a 10th game. you win, brad. brothers is pretty cool.

So I guess Ryse is just a whole game of the combat in Assassin's Creed. Few more options, but pretty similar. I could see buying at $20.

AC combat is sooooooo bad, though. it's my biggest complaint with the series at this point.

Eh, it probably has more to do with that game being in development hell for years. A sequel with a more fleshed out development schedule would be nice, but honestly, given that game's history, I'm surprised it came out as well as it did. It's a testament to Platinum that, given the time and handoff, that Revengence was any sort of decent. Games in Revengence's position usually end up being unplayable.

Well, it was built from scratch. Consider it a licensed product, like a movie game: you get told "make a game with these elements" (Raiden, and free-cutting, in this instance) and then the dev goes off and makes something good while being overseen. Chances are, the development of Metal Gear Rising was probably fairly smooth; Platinum are efficient motherfuckers. More so than the schmucks at KojiPro that were working on Metal Gear Solid: Rising, that's for sure.

I imagine Konami wasn't exactly interested in having P* spend three years or so on making a huge game, but that's probably why they hired P* in the first place; they're fast, it doesn't seem like their games are overly expensive to produce, and they're canny as fuck. They needed a game with Raiden being a badass cyborg ninja pronto, and Platinum's history makes them the perfect people for the job.

So yeah, I'm not convinced any of that game suffered too much from the hellstorm that was Metal Gear Solid Rising.

phuturist

Banned
Regarding GOTY, I will survive TLOU not being N°1 due to Jeff & Brad not playing it, fine, whatever. Fools! All of them! (I kid)

But what I can't stand again are discussions about graphics without mentioning Ni No Kuni for example, or picking the best soundtrack without bothering with Anarchy Reigns & Ni No Kuni.
I am still angry at them for not even mentioning El Shaddai during the "prettiest visuals" or whatever award of 2011 or so.

Blastoise

Banned

Vinny's character reminds me of Oskar.

jC4uRMy.jpg

Patryn

I don't think you can call TLOU the clear-cut frontrunner with GTAV out there.

Zornack

Regarding GOTY, I will survive TLOU not being N°1 due to Jeff & Brad not playing it, fine, whatever. Fools! All of them! (I kid)

I just don't know what it could be if not TLoU. At least with TLoU you have Drew (will he be on?), Patrick and Vinny who all enjoyed it. GTA V was luke warm for half of them and Bioshock Infinite somehow turned heel. Maybe a miracle will occur and they'll all play 3D World and love it but I doubt it. Whatever happens it'll be an interesting discussion.

I had a idea.

During the Xbox Stream tomorrow they should daisy chain however many xbox ones they have though HDMI input and eventually have a PS4 at the end and see what thats like.

jmood88

But what I can't stand again are discussions about graphics without mentioning Ni No Kuni for example, or picking the best soundtrack without bothering with Anarchy Reigns & Ni No Kuni.
I am still angry at them for not even mentioning El Shaddai during the "prettiest visuals" or whatever award of 2011 or so.

Giant Bomb isn't IGN, they play what they're interested in, not cover every game in existence, so I don't understand why people get so hung up on what games they choose to highlight.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I had a idea.

During the Xbox Stream tomorrow they should daisy chain however many xbox ones they have HDMI'd to one another with a PS4 at the end and see what thats like.
Yeah they really have to do this.

Top 10 this year could be very interesting, Could see various staff fighting to give each of these a spot...

The Stanley Parable (All)
SteamWorld Dig (All)
Dive Kick (Jeff)
Gone Home (All)
Papers Please (Jeff)
Brothers (Brad)
iRacing (Drew)
Dota 2 (Brad)
The Swapper (Patrick)
Rouge Legacy (All)
Gunpoint (Jeff)
Monaco (All)
Ridiculous Fishing (All)
The Room (Brad)
Hundreds (All)
Kentucky Route Zero (Patrick)

Vinny's list might be the more "normal" due to having a baby, and (presumably) been limited to less games.

phuturist

Banned
Giant Bomb isn't IGN, they play what they're interested in, not cover every game in existence, so I don't understand why people get so hung up on what games they choose to highlight.

And that's why TLOU does not need to be N°1, you are right. I still think that research for a visuals or soundtrack category is something one should be able to expect. I don't know, Brad played enough of Ni No Kuni to know how great it sounds and looks, we will see.

FStop7

Banned
About Bioshock Infinite. Despite the gameplay lacking the sort of creative combat I was hoping for, I was genuinely affected by the story. But as time passed I'd somewhat forgotten about it. But a couple of days ago I was out at lunch with coworkers and "Goodnight, Irene" started playing in the restaurant. I literally sat straight up and said "Oh wow" because it brought back the memory of that infamous scene at the festival, when shit went real bad. Bioshock and TLoU are pretty much the only games I've played where the story has resonated like that.

RE_Player

According to Patrick's tumblr there will be no Tearaway coverage. The guys always jab at the Vita for having no original games and the one that gets released, and is getting amazing reviews from every outlet, isn't going to be discussed anytime soon. Shame.

Mesoian

But they do make an effort to play the most important games that came out at the end of the year. There's still a lot of time left. And they'll have an ample vacation at the end of december for it.

According to Patrick's tumblr there will be no Tearaway coverage. The guys always jab at the Vita for having no original games and the one that gets released, and is getting amazing reviews from every outlet, isn't going to be discussed anytime soon. Shame.
I think it's more due to the fact that they don't have a GOOD method of capturing Vita video. They have a method but it's spotty at best. Just like with the PSP, I blame that more on Sony than Giant Bomb.

Jintor

Whatever, that dude has been trolling my taste in games since I gave DmC a good score, and not even in a clever or accurate way. I only like easy games? C'mon, you can do better than that.

Bayonetta Very Hard or Climax Mode run. Let's do it

Curufinwe

Is Jeff gonna import a Vita TV?

I wonder was their actual complaints about that modded Vita been used for coverage (CBS/Sony), or was Jeff just not happy with the quality. Seems weird to spend the money on it, then drop it after one Quick Look

webrunner

Is Jeff gonna import a Vita TV?

tearaway wouldn't work on a vitaTV, it's pretty touch-heavy from what I understand

I wonder was their actual complaints about that modded Vita been used for coverage (CBS/Sony), or was Jeff just not happy with the quality. Seems weird to spend the money on it, then drop it after one Quick Look

i seem to remember him talking about it not working half the time but i'm not sure?

FStop7

Banned
I have to imagine at some point someone from Giant Bomb has asked Adam Boyes why there is no capture solution available. It's something Sony should have rectified so long ago.

Not having different weapon options was a weird decision.

In this one case I can see why they did it. If your playing as a Roman soldier you would have trained your professional life with your sword and shield. Those are the tools you are proficient with and you wouldn't ditch them for something you didn't have as much experience with. Shooters don't have this option because you run out of bullets so changing weapons is a necessity. But if you were to give a soldier an option to have unlimited ammo they would stay with the one gun they have put the most rounds through.

Goldmund

The Brothers Question (that is: can you name ten games that were better than it this year?) is a bit of a "Gretchenfrage"; any attempt to answer it shines a light on something you didn't consider involved or that intimately related at first glance. I'm personally struggling not because Brothers was that good (it's pretty good!), but because generally speaking, despite all the manufactured hype surrounding certain titles, almost none of the games I played this year felt like truly special games, extraordinary in more than one aspect. For me one of the most disillusioning aha moments was the first open battle arena in The Last of Us. I immediately wished the game had stopped after the introduction sequence and had remained a neat little proof of concept, a state not many games this year transcended, including Brothers.

Brashnir

Apparently it doesn't work well enough or reliably enough to bother with it.

webrunner

In this one case I can see why they did it. If your playing as a Roman soldier you would have trained your professional life with your sword and shield. Those are the tools you are proficient with and you wouldn't ditch them for something you didn't have as much experience with. Shooters don't have this option because you run out of bullets so changing weapons is a necessity. But if you were to give a soldier an option to have unlimited ammo they would stay with the one gun they have put the most rounds through.

until they picked up a bitchin alien rifle that fired cursed demon heads that shot eye lasers

iiicon

I'm sure Patrick will discuss it on Monday's Scoops and the Wolf, but it's definitely disappointing there's no proper way to get a Quick Look of it. A review would be nice, though. Isn't it supposed to be a pretty short game?

That and I think Brad has said before him being constantly nagged to finish TLoU has really put him off to the game. I'm pretty sure most of them have played it, I'm just not sure who has finished it. I think Vinny has. It's probably tied with Infinite as my personal GOTY, but I'm not going to get mad at them if they don't finish it. It was like the year The Witcher 2 came out and I think Vinny was the only one that finished it.

Anyway, I like the actual GOTY deliberation podcasts more so than whatever site list they create. It's like people constantly want their opinions on games validated or something when all that really matters is if you liked the game and not anyone else.

I actually like their personal GOTY lists. I always usually pick up one or two games that I've never played, gave a chance or even heard of every year following their GOTY stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom