• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Maybe I read it wrong, but when Brad said no way at GTAV being better than Brothers on the cast, I wondered if that was just joking or if he wasn't into it.

Brad was all the way anti-GTA5 during the 24 hour stream. Somebody suggested GTA online, Brad reacted like they suggested he go roll around in raw sewage. I'm pretty sure he also said he hasn't finished the single player game and doesn't think he will.

edit: Before I get rudds'd, it's not like either of those things means he thinks it's a bad game. The only GTA game I've finished was GTA4, doesn't mean I think the others were bad. I just don't expect him to campaign for it to be on the GOTY list.

Tan

image.php

endlessly amusing.

hamchan

Watching Ryse quick look

VInny: How much is this game?

Everyone: 60 dollars

Vinny:.....huh...

the way vinny did the delayed "huh" was hilarious

You can totally feel his disapproval about all the F2P microtransaction stuff in a full priced game.

Also Giant Bomb GOTY, it'll probably be between 3D World and GTA5.
It'll be hard for the Last of Us since half the crew still hasn't bothered finishing it 5 months after release, not a good sign for its chances at all.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I agree with an earlier comment that Ian just can't help himself when it comes to spoiling shit in LOLS. Dude needs to not be so eager to put forward every bit of information he knows about a thing at any given opportunity. Ok, it doesn't seem to bother the guys all that much so there's no issue really, but part of the fun is maybe not knowing exactly who a given character is, or what their back-story is, or what they're doing, or what's going to happen to them later. When you instantly explain everything about a character (and, in doing so, pretty much imply that their involvement in the game has ended), you suck a lot of the mystery and discovery out of the game. For example, maybe I missed it early on, but it wasn't until
the lead up to Manus' fight that I learned about Sif's relationship to Artorias. If Vinny didn't know about that relationship at the point, that would have been a cool thing to discover later on in the Chasm. Having the knowledge about the game that Ian has, it would have made more sense to say at that point "hey, this is easy to miss, follow the cat and attack the wall for a secret area" and leave it at that. Let Vinny discover story stuff like that in a more interesting way, rather than an annoyingly frequent info-dump that only serves to show people how much stuff you know (ie. bore them).

/self-avatar-quote.jpg

LCfiner

ho-ho-hoooooo-kay.

watching the Forza QL. saw the bit right away to Press Y to boost XP. I had not heard of that before.

Fucking hell. that shit is right in your face. fuck this noise

FStop7

Banned
Forza's track model of Road Atlanta is now 7 years out of date. It hasn't looked like that since the 2006 season. The entire track was resurfaced, the curbs were redone, and there were changes made to the track layout.

Forza's track model of Road Atlanta is now 7 years out of date. It hasn't looked like that since the 2006 season. The entire track was resurfaced, the curbs were redone, and there were changes made to the track layout.

That's what all the microtransactions will pay to update! :p

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Have giantbomb upgraded their player? Every next gen quick look I've seen so far have pretty awesome quality with no buffering issues.

LCfiner

This experiment in treating AAA, $60 home games the same as loud, gross, F2P mobile games better not last more than this launch year and early 2014…

I’m really hoping it burns in a fiery hell hole. I will not support games and publishers that think it’s OK to put lots of “hey, pay more for XP boost” shit on main menu screens all over their $60 product.

Skytylz

Banned
Maybe I read it wrong, but when Brad said no way at GTAV being better than Brothers on the cast, I wondered if that was just joking or if he wasn't into it.

I did not like GTA 5 at all and it doesn't seem like it kept any of the crews attention long enough for them to see it through, so it'll be completely up to Jeff for that to win. I know everyone hates it now, but they loved Infinite when it came out so I wouldn't be surprised if that takes it.

sixghost

I agree with an earlier comment that Ian just can't help himself when it comes to spoiling shit in LOLS. Dude needs to not be so eager to put forward every bit of information he knows about a thing at any given opportunity. Ok, it doesn't seem to bother the guys all that much so there's no issue really, but part of the fun is maybe not knowing exactly who a given character is, or what their back-story is, or what they're doing, or what's going to happen to them later. When you instantly explain everything about a character (and, in doing so, pretty much imply that their involvement in the game has ended), you suck a lot of the mystery and discovery out of the game. For example, maybe I missed it early on, but it wasn't until
the lead up to Manus' fight that I learned about Sif's relationship to Artorias. If Vinny didn't know about that relationship at the point, that would have been a cool thing to discover later on in the Chasm. Having the knowledge about the game that Ian has, it would have made more sense to say at that point "hey, this is easy to miss, follow the cat and attack the wall for a secret area" and leave it at that. Let Vinny discover story stuff like that in a more interesting way, rather than an annoyingly frequent info-dump that only serves to show people how much stuff you know (ie. bore them).

/self-avatar-quote.jpg
You definitely missed the hints earlier on in the game.
Sif is guarding Artorias' grave when you fight him.
. There are also some hints in the item descriptions from that area as well, I believe.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'm so glad they went into photomode to look at the spectators. This is amazing.

You definitely missed the hints earlier on in the game.
Sif is guarding Artorias' grave when you fight him.
. There are also some hints in the item descriptions from that area as well, I believe.

Yeah I realised all that stuff afterwards, but never paid attention to it before the Chasm of the Abyss. My point is that if Vinny hasn't made the connection at that point (maybe he had), it doesn't need to be spelled out when there's still stuff left to discover. Even if there's nothing left to discover, saying as much just spoils some of the interest. Again, I know it's not a big deal, I just think it would be more interesting and entertaining to leave things open ended and left up to Vinny to discover (or not) and for him to make the connections as he plays unless he outright asks.

inky

This experiment in treating AAA, $60 home games the same as loud, gross, F2P mobile games better not last more than this launch year and early 2014…

I’m really hoping it burns in a fiery hell hole. I will not support games and publishers that think it’s OK to put lots of “hey, pay more for XP boost” shit on main menu screens all over their $60 product.

I got terrible news for you.

On top of that, developers like CliffyB will totally claim that YOU, the consumer, totally forced their hands when you voiced your discontent towards Microsoft shitty plans and killed their DRM. I wish I was joking, but this shit will be everywhere from now on: free games, online only games, $20, $30, $60+ games, etc.

EVERYWHERE.

FStop7

Banned
That's what all the microtransactions will pay to update! :p

I wish they'd update it considering how good the new track models in Forza 3 and 4 looked. I'm assuming that Spa looks outstanding given it's new as of Forza 5. You can always tell a big difference between the old carryover tracks from Forza 2 and the new ones. Not just the environments, but the cars look better on them as well.

LCfiner

Ah, that’s the Forza 5 I know.

I got terrible news for you.

On top of that, developers like CliffyB will totally claim that YOU, the consumer, totally forced their hands when you voiced your discontent towards Microsoft shitty plans and killed their DRM. I wish I was joking, but this shit will be everywhere from now on: free games, online only games, $20, $30, $60+ games, etc.

EVERYWHERE.

I haven’t been paying attention to his twitter or anything recently. Has he been saying this? That the publishers have no recourse but to do this?

welp. I guess we’ll see how this gen goes. I’m already cringing in preparation for the worst.

No_Style

ho-ho-hoooooo-kay.

watching the Forza QL. saw the bit right away to Press Y to boost XP. I had not heard of that before.

Fucking hell. that shit is right in your face. fuck this noise

It's annoying to see but if the grind for XP is like Forza 4 then I'm okay with it. If people want to pay $99.99 to save time, let them.

Crimson Dragon? That's offensive because the grind appears to be atrocious.

It's a fine difference for me but it's there.

If it doesn't get in the way of the actual game then why does it matter? Crimson Dragon was docked points for the amount of time you have to grind to progress and you could tell the reason why the grind was there was it's microtransactions. I haven't finished watching the quick look yet, but I haven't seen anything that makes the game arbitrarily longer so far. It's a scummy practice but it's something you can ignore.

/self-avatar-quote.jpg
I wholeheartedly agree. He's been fairly okay about it previously but man, he was out of control this time.

AHA-Lambda

Hmm, I'd say from the sounds of the above GTA V and TLOU are not locks for GOTY at GB, I'm actually quite glad to see this; I thought they were both very overrated.

I'm curious to see what they may go with :)

Someone else tell me that they also immediately noticed the obvious cardboard cutouts on the side of the track in Forza even before they went into photo mode.

LCfiner

It's annoying to see but if the grind for XP is like Forza 4 then I'm okay with it. If people want to pay $99.99 to save time, let them.

Crimson Dragon? That's offensive because the grind appears to be atrocious.

It's a fine difference for me but it's there.

I get what you’re saying.

My fine line was seeing the time-limited XP boost (this is separate from the token purchase stuff) on the main menu before the race with two separate locations on screen prompting you to press Y to turn it on.

And, yeah, CD is worse as the scope of shit to buy is bigger. But with Forza being a full-priced-assed full price game, my expectations are for less pan-handling in my face.

inky

I haven’t been paying attention to his twitter or anything recently. Has he been saying this? That the publishers have no recourse but to do this?

welp. I guess we’ll see how this gen goes. I’m already cringing in preparation for the worst.

I haven't either, but yes, he was saying stuff like that after E3 and the following months. He basically said that the reason you see paid DLC, microtransactions and the like is that, with the ability to buy used, the numbers simply don't work and developers who don't do this will have to close down like it happened to many this gen.

djblue89

It's funny to see my full name like all over the place in the PS4 live stream! In the first few hours every time Jeff would go to his friend list or What's new my name would be there.

LCfiner

Vinny said he liked to drive his Prius in these driving games. I remember a friend and I were playing Forza 4 and he insisted on a one-on-one Prius race on the full circuit Nurburgring. that was a very long, and eerily silent race.

LCfiner

the crowd part... I was laighing

just before they took the photo Brad was saying “yeah, I think the crowds look pretty good” or something close to that.

crowds are the biggest disappointment/compromise in Forza 5. they’re not good looking even at a glance.

If it doesn't get in the way of the actual game then why does it matter? Crimson Dragon was docked points for the amount of time you have to grind to progress and you could tell the reason why the grind was there was it's microtransactions. I haven't finished watching the quick look yet, but I haven't seen anything that makes the game arbitrarily longer so far. It's a scummy practice but it's something you can ignore.

mrklaw says it best:

It is a conflict of interest though. If you have a progression system in a game, plus a micro transaction model that allows you to shortcut that progression, there is a clear opportunity to artificially extend that progression to encourage more people to take the pay option.

of course not all developers will do that, but some will. IMO the only option is to not have these mechanics in games.

SummitAve

Banned
just before they took the photo Brad was saying “yeah, I think the crowds look pretty good” or something close to that.

crowds are the biggest disappointment/compromise in Forza 5. they’re not good looking even at a glance.

What? Crowds will always look like shit. This is a way better alternative.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
You can totally feel his disapproval about all the F2P microtransaction stuff in a full priced game.

Also Giant Bomb GOTY, it'll probably be between 3D World and GTA5.
It'll be hard for the Last of Us since half the crew still hasn't bothered finishing it 5 months after release, not a good sign for its chances at all.

As most of the gaming community should share.

It's disgusting that these $60 games have these F2P bullshit tropes all over them. Ryse's pay for gold nonsense, Forza's blatant "play everyday or you don't get your points!" and "pay to get XP boosters."

LCfiner

What? Crowds will always look like shit. This is a way better alternative.

what? we’ve already seen sports games this new gen with more variety and better animated 3D people in stands.

having completely static, 2D cutout people in the stands is shitty. you may not notice it at 140 mph, but you notice it at the starting line, you notice it when slowing down in turns, and you can notice it even at high speeds when in bumper cam view.

Are your expectations for this gen really so low that you think we can’t do better than this 2D static cutout shit? this was a serious downgrade from their presentation at E3. those 3D people looked better and fit in a lot better with the environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom