• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. F

Banned
Can't believe it's already December. Is Patrick going to be back down in SF for GOTY stuff or is Drew going to sit in?

BabnRxQCcAAKbwz.jpg:large

Thats fucking amazing, loved October cast this year

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Patrick should visit often. At least like bi-monthly or something.

Mr. F

Banned
Patrick should visit often. At least like bi-monthly or something.

I'm wondering if they'll bring on another personality in the next year, even with Drew as a more prominent personality and Rorie sometimes around the absence left by Ryan is still apparent. Especially in the weeks where they're stretched thin on content when others are out on assignment.

Is Patrick flying back on his own dime? I feel like it's weird that he's flying back twice in two months, and Alex gets to come out like once a year.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm wondering if they'll bring on another personality in the next year, even with Drew as a more prominent personality and Rorie sometimes around the absence left by Ryan is still apparent. Especially in the weeks where they're stretched thin on content when others are out on assignment.

Drew has been great, Rorie needs to ditch the laptop though. I agree they probably need a new personality I just don't know who it would be. Then again Patrick was a great fit nobody was begging for so I'm sure they'll find someone. I think they definitely need someone entertaining more than they need someone experienced with games. These last few months have seen some of my favorite content on the site but they totally need somethin' a bit fresh.
Patrick produces more, arguably better, content.
Patrick is also hungry.

Mr. F

Banned
Drew has been great, Rorie needs to ditch the laptop though. I agree they probably need a new personality I just don't know who it would be. Then again Patrick was a great fit nobody was begging for so I'm sure they'll find someone. I think they definitely need someone entertaining more than they need someone experienced with games. These last few months have seen some of my favorite content on the site but they totally need somethin' a bit fresh.

Rorie also needs to stop coughing and clearing his throat every few minutes.

On the bolded, there's probably someone with a good balance of both. I like Drew, but his lack of journalism background and industry experience shows when really inside-baseball conversations come up on the Bombcast or streams and he's silent for a good while. He does bring good conversation to the table, but for the purposes of the site and discussion it'd be nice to have someone more in line with Patrick or Jeff/Brad's background.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I also think they need to sit down and make a pact to write more. Don't write reviews or previews. Just write about whatever.

Dany

Banned
I also think they need to sit down and make a pact to write more. Don't write reviews or previews. Just write about whatever.

I agree. They are videos first website. But when there is not videos...they should get back to writing or editorializing a bit.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to see more bloggy stuff. Like when Jeff finds some weird game in his attic it be nice to read a little trip down memory lane, or have Brad articulate a DOTA match, etc. I CONSUME writing about games when its interesting personal anecdote stuff, but the more clinical buyers advice stuff bores me to tears.

hamchan

If only there was a guy they could hire that everybody likes, has a ton of experience in the industry from both games journalist and developer perspective, and has a history of being a host.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
If only there was a guy they could hire that everybody likes, has a ton of experience in the industry from both games journalist and developer perspective, and has a history of being a host.

Gosh, I know. It's impossible to find people like that these days that aren't tied down to a steady job!!

Too bad Rich Gallup became a billionaire after Fartcat became a global phenomenon.

SJRB

Gold Member

Okay I'll bite: who's that?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Jeff Green would really fit as well as everyone thinks he does.

Zaph

Is Patrick flying back on his own dime? I feel like it's weird that he's flying back twice in two months, and Alex gets to come out like once a year.
Does Alex even work full-time for GB? Or is he more of a CBSi staff writer now? I swear I've seen him do stuff for Gamespot and tv.com.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
As long as CBSi pays for the plane tickets and hotel

I don't know how they grow money but lets say 600$ roundtrip tickets times twice a month is $14,800.. is that a lot of money compared to whatever they would gain from that? Probably, I guess thats why they dont do it.

valeo

Jeff Green wouldn't fit with the GB crew on a permanent basis, I reckon.

Get Brad Muir to leave his crappy 'game development' job (pfft, making videos about games is where it's at)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't know how they grow money but lets say 600$ roundtrip tickets times twice a month is $14,800.. is that a lot of money compared to whatever they would gain from that? Probably, I guess thats why they dont do it.

Whao, it's that expensive for a national flight in america?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So lets put together a Typical schedule of their predictable shows.

• Monday: BombinAM
  • Tuesday: Bombcast
  • Wednesday:
  • Thursday:
  • Friday:BominAM/UnPro Fridays

I think they need something scheduled to compliment the bombcast, but that still leaves Wed and Thur vacant of any guaranteed content. I think Ideally Unpro Fridays would actually be on Wednesday with a free friday show more dedicated to flavor the week type of stuff. Of course they could solve everything and just do encyclopedia bombastica and nothing else.

I have no idea, I pulled that number out of my ass.

Chicago to SF could be done for about $300 round trip.

It's a little over 2k miles (or half the distance between Chicago and London). And Chicago is more central, so that's not even coast-to-coast. America is pretty big.

That's why it's bullshit when people complain that Americans don't travel. We're far as shit from the other side of our country, let alone other nations.

Zaph

So lets put together a Typical schedule of their predictable shows.

• Monday: BombinAM
  • Tuesday: Bombcast
  • Wednesday:
  • Thursday:
  • Friday:BominAM/UnPro Fridays

I think they need something scheduled to compliment the bombcast, but that still leaves Wed and Thur vacant of any guaranteed content. I think Ideally Unpro Fridays would actually be on Wednesday with a free friday show more dedicated to flavor the week type of stuff. Of course they could solve everything and just do encyclopedia bombastica and nothing else.

I have no idea, I pulled that number out of my ass.
They definitely need another non-premium studio show. If a new viewer were to stumble upon their youtube channel, between the faceless quick looks and Patrick's home webcam stuff, it gives a really inaccurate impression of the site.

They definitely need another non-premium studio show. If a new viewer were to stumble upon their youtube channel, between the faceless quick looks and Patrick's home webcam stuff, it gives a really inaccurate impression of the site.

They been doing Breaking Brad (Volgor the Viking) and Load our Last Souls on Thursday lately, as well as Unplugged but they aren't weekly yet

They should play really hard NES/Genesis games on wednesdays or thursdays and legit try to get as far as possible while someone asks really complex/funny, user created/polled questions, and they have to try to not die in the game while answering with a time limit, and see how many "rounds" they can get through and rotate who plays every time someone dies. The host (Jeff) gets to pick the timing on when these questions are asked. There could be like a poll at the start of the show when they reveal the game where everyone votes for who they think will win. Just imagining Jeff ask Brad a crazy question at the worst possible time seems hilarious to me. I'm really tired, forgive me if this sounds awful.

FStop7

Banned
Patrick produces more, arguably better, content.

Alex does like 9988% of the site's reviews

Patrick's gotten into self-promotion lately. Maybe it's a byproduct of being separated from the others. But the TED talk stuff... both the talk itself and the frequency with which it was brought up... I didn't care for it, personally.

I think what you all really want is for Jeff Green to be the Gary Whitta of Giant Bomb.

I remember when Gary Whitta was the Gary Whitta of Giant Bomb. He used to always be there for TNT and stuff. Then came the Dark Times. :/

Anyway, Jeff Green would do well at CBSi if he had a role like he did with CGW/GFW/1UP. Obviously he wouldn't be producing a magazine but he could still set the editorial tone for the various gaming sites and shape the big picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom