• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

So neither Alex nor Patrick had any idea that the 360 dominated the PS3 in the UK this generation. We need a version of this for American games media.

What_5a9e8d_1804975.jpg

kiyomi

Do we know if the guy who runs the Alpaca Adventure cosplay thing is actually gonna sell those at some stage?

I would love to own a Drewpaca.

mrJared

Banned
He basically said on his tumblr that he thought it was a 3/5

So why not put it up on the site and make it official?

Currently that would be the lowest score it's received, probably dropping the "metacritic' (something that series holds so dear) down into the 70's.

ahhh
.... welp I think I just answered my own question as to why he won't post the review officially.

kiyomi

Currently that would be the lowest score it's received, probably dropping the "metacritic' (something that series holds so dear) down into the 70's.

ahhh
.... welp I think I just answered my own question as to why he won't post the review officially.

Why would Jeff care what Metacritic score Forza 5 gets?

ahhh

Is funny because Jeff actually destroyed the game in the bombcast so dunno why he would want to "protect it".

ahhh
Not sure if serious...

Dany

Banned
also im pretty sure that none of those fellows give two shits on how their reviews would impact metacritic scores

ahhh

Or maybe the actual review, you know, the text no one bothers to read anymore, is not completely done yet. Pretty sure the GB guys also get someone else to read through the review and give feedback before they publish it? At least I remember them talking about something like that.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

ahhh
Here's the full text: http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/68835265237/so-i-havent-seen-a-forza-5-review-yet-you-still

Jeff said:
Didn’t get much time to play it during the holiday break, but I don’t need to see much more of it to know that it’ll likely get a 3/5. Good driving, cool rumble trigger stuff, but it’s all bogged down by a bunch of bad menu flow, annoying AI, and hot microtransactions.

also im pretty sure that none of those fellows give two shits on how their reviews would impact metacritic scores
But Metacritic is owned by CBSi. Follow the money.

popo

So neither Alex nor Patrick had any idea that the 360 dominated the PS3 in the UK this generation. We need a version of this for American games media.

A little unfair. He was assuming based off the "Europe is playstation country" thing. He at least knew the UK was in Europe. He also corrected himself from the chat straight after.

mrJared

Banned
Is funny because Jeff actually destroyed the game in the bombcast so dunno why he would want to "protect it".

trashing it on a podcast and saying, "I thought it was a 3/5", is different than officially tying your name to a score, and a score that would be the lowest of all scores for that game, is not a distinction he wants I'm sure.

More so when you realize that he has friends that work there, and he loves the series a lot and knows how much that final metacritic score means to them.

I just can't see why else a review for a major launch title, let alone one for a series that they've had no trouble reviewing in the past, hasn't received a write up.

...don't even want to get into how a game that has parts that are just broken in his view (drivatar, online, store, microtransactions,) scores the same as two games that work perfectly as intended in Rivals and Killzone.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
trashing it on a podcast and saying, "I thought it was a 3/5", is different than officially tying your name to a score, and a score that would be the lowest of all scores for that game, is not a distinction he wants I'm sure.

More so when you realize that he has friends that work there, and he loves the series a lot and knows how much that final metacritic score means to them.

I just can't see why else a review for a major launch title, let alone one for a series that they've had no trouble reviewing in the past, hasn't received a write up.

...don't even want to get into how a game that has parts that are just broken in his view (drivatar, online, store, microtransactions,) scores the same as two games that work perfectly as intended in Rivals and Killzone.
Or maybe he just didn't have enough time to play and write it?

kmz

Neo Member
Come on, everybody knows reviews are just a number followed by Markov Chain Generated text. The only possible reason Jeff could have for not posting a review yet is COLLUSION.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

You're pretty hung up on it having a score when he's made it pretty clear how he feels about the game which is all that matters from my point of view. From what he's said, I now know that I'm not going to be getting the game.

Edit: Never mind. I took a look at your post history. Here's one by you for Gran Turismo. You seem to have a conflict on whether scores from gaming journalists matter depending on the game.

Review scores have never mattered with this series to me. It just isn't a 'fun' game to play for most all-assists-on game journos.

They don't take into account the attention to detail or pretty epic scale of this series compared to others.

...and frankly, after registering close to 11 million sales for GT5, i would have to think that most people disregard these scores as well.

phuturist

Banned
This picture here [NSFW] is awfully close, and therefore almost topic related. And hey, it's not much worse than arguing about review scores or the lack of them without anyone knowing the real reasons.

Edit: It's a woman, @Daniellesharp, in a bra with basically the Giant Bomb Logo on her head.

Mesoian

Ya'll made me think the bombcast was ready.

::Grumbles and goes back to sleep::

And this, right here, is why the arbitrary numbered score system no longer matters in the grand scheme of things.

Write a scathing 10,000 word review picking apart every last issue a game could possibly have, recommend people go else where, actively call out the developers and publically shame them for their greedy/lazy/aggressive behavior, 4/5.

And the only thing anyone cares about is the 4/5.

It's a fucking joke.

BearPawB

Banned

This is the type of bullshit I hate more than anything. Jeff has proven himself to be a guy who has integrity. If they care so much about their friends, why did the cave get a review?

Not everything is some big conspiracy. Giant bomb doesn't review a lot of games. They have other priorities.

Patryn

Ironically, it's this very thinking why GB has expressed disdain for reviews in general. They've said a bunch of times that the best way to get their opinions is to watch the videos and listen to the podcast.

I have little doubt Jeff could give a fuck about what his review will do to the Metacritic. He'll put it up if and when it's ready, and not a minute before.

GB is not a review-driven site. They throw them up to get access, but what they really like doing is the other stuff.

kvk1

I'm not jeffending the 3/5 comment, but I can definitely see not needing to get to 100% in a car/driving simulation to give a final verdict.

Aside from the core mechanics of the driving/physics, AI, UI, etc. it's not like there's gonna be a new and massive plot revelation halfway through that's gonna drive up the score to the heavens.

Mesoian

I'm not jeffending the 3/5 comment, but I can definitely see not needing to get to 100% in a car/driving simulation to give a final verdict.

Aside from the core mechanics of the driving/physics, AI, UI, etc. it's not like there's gonna be a new and massive plot revelation halfway through that's gonna drive up the score to the heavens.

I played Project Gotham Racing 2 for 110 hours and didn't 100% it. I know that game is good.

Zaph

Fucking lol

Why are people writing serious, thoughtful replies to this nonsense?

It reminds me of the Double Fine conspiracy. Until people realised that almost every DF game received a below Metacritic average review score from Giant Bomb.

Doran902

re listening to the day 5 game of the year from last year while painting......................feels like so long ago but its great

Megasoum

Banned

Looks like somebody wants to get Monsterdunked

popo

heh, this is almost like (forum) life imitating a Penny Arcade comic.

"This game is a total shit show and you should not buy it".

"but what score would you give it out of 10? I have to know before I decide on buying it!"

Zornack

Who cares about a Forza review, I'm still waiting for that Dance Central 3 review.

What was the other game around then Jeff meant to review but never got around to?

Megasoum

Banned
Who cares about a Forza review, I'm still waiting for that Dance Central 3 review.

What was the other game around then Jeff meant to review but never got around to?

It was Ryan who never did one of his review at the same time...can't remember what it was tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom