• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

so1337

Patrick produces more, arguably better, content.
Patrick puts out Youtube Let's Plays. The only thing that's missing is a "like/hit subscribe"-message in the first 30 seconds. Oh, also that unbearably irritating morning show with Navarro.

I like Patrick just fine when he's with the rest of the crew but I have no desire whatsoever to watch the stuff he puts out on his own.

dhlt25

Patrick puts out Youtube Let's Plays. The only thing that's missing is a "like/hit subscribe"-message in the first 30 seconds. Oh, also that unbearably irritating morning show with Navarro.

I like Patrick just fine when he's with the rest of the crew but I have no desire whatsoever to watch the stuff he puts out on his own.

I don't watch patrick solo content because I prefer the crew setting but the morning show with navaro is great. They're getting more guest on too which makes it even better

jgminto

I can't say I really enjoy Patrick's solo content too much. I think I'd rather see him do some Quick Look EX style of stuff with indie devs, though with more of a postmortem approach.

Ken

I don't watch patrick solo content because I prefer the crew setting but the morning show with navaro is great. They're getting more guest on too which makes it even better

I think I've only sat through an entire Bombing was when they had interesting guests on like Kassavin.

Zaph

They been doing Breaking Brad (Volgor the Viking) and Load our Last Souls on Thursday lately, as well as Unplugged but they aren't weekly yet
Err, all three of those shows are premium and not on Youtube. I said non-premium.

My point being, if a new user were to stumble across their channel, Giant Bomb would look pretty low quality (like a typical 'bedroom' channel) compared to what it really is.

Right now it looks good because it has all the launch show archives and UPW. But most of the time it's a bit dire.

ryanmac

Banned

I really enjoy the morning show in my podcast folder because it has something the bombcast lacks without Ryan.. focus. As crazy and hyped up as Ryan Davis was as a host he also did a damn good job of making sure the guys stayed on topic. The current iteration of the bombcast (while still the best gaming podcast in existence) is filled with too much off-topic nonsense. When I have a 30 minute drive to work it would be supercool to get at least some gaming talk instead of learning more about the best fast food and pizza joints in San Francisco and Petaluma.

Now don't take me out of context... The off-topic hi-jinx is exactly what makes the bomb crew so good at what they do, but without Ryan they have no filter to reign things the fuck in. That's why it's nice to throw Alex and Patrick on for 30 minutes on the ride to work because I know those two dudes are going to talk about games.

And this is coming from a guy who used to be firmly entrenched on the Patrick hater bandwagon. I couldn't stand him for the longest time. Now I miss his insight on the bombcast.

popo

Err, all three of those shows are premium and not on Youtube. I said non-premium.

My point being, if a new user were to stumble across their channel, Giant Bomb would look pretty low quality (like a typical 'bedroom' channel) compared to what it really is.

Right now it looks good because it has all the launch show archives and UPW. But most of the time it's a bit dire.

Quick looks are their vehicle to grab new viewers. They are (relatively) short, current, accessible and and most likely to be linked to on forums etc. They are what have mostly replaced reviews at GB. The same way that I do not folliow any youtubers but if I am interested in a specific game I will search for such content. I doubt any first timers are going to jump straight in on a live stream.

I really enjoy the morning show in my podcast folder because it has something the bombcast lacks without Ryan.. focus. As crazy and hyped up as Ryan Davis was as a host he also did a damn good job of making sure the guys stayed on topic. The current iteration of the bombcast (while still the best gaming podcast in existence) is filled with too much off-topic nonsense. When I have a 30 minute drive to work it would be supercool to get at least some gaming talk instead of learning more about the best fast food and pizza joints in San Francisco and Petaluma.

Now don't take me out of context... The off-topic hi-jinx is exactly what makes the bomb crew so good at what they do, but without Ryan they have no filter to reign things the fuck in. That's why it's nice to throw Alex and Patrick on for 30 minutes on the ride to work because I know those two dudes are going to talk about games.

And this is coming from a guy who used to be firmly entrenched on the Patrick hater bandwagon. I couldn't stand him for the longest time. Now I miss his insight on the bombcast.

Eh, Ryan was a double-edged sword as podcast host. Sometimes he would keep things on track, other times his zeal for a "clean" podcast meant he would end conversations or even edit out things (like a 30-minute Resident Evil discussion) because it was the easiest thing to cut to get it under three hours. He treated the podcast as a product rather than the Giant Bomb personalities being the product, which produced a lot of good content, but left a lot of equally good stuff on the cutting room floor.

The real solution is for Vinny to become permanent host.

Patryn

Jeff Green wouldn't fit with the GB crew on a permanent basis, I reckon.

Get Brad Muir to leave his crappy 'game development' job (pfft, making videos about games is where it's at)

In a perfect world, Brad Muir would be the better addition than anybody else. He really just kind of seamlessly fits in with the vibe of the site.

But of course he'd never leave development.

Yes. Jeff is doing a good job as host, but it's amazing how much better the production is on the podcast when it's a Vinny-cast. Of course, who knows what the cost of that higher production is, but he managed to squeeze out some of the funniest Bombcast moments of the year in the Dopple-cast with his post-production work. Honestly, I think Jeff works best as the second chair, simply because it allows him to take full advantage of his near-perfect sense of comic timing. Vinny is actually a really effective host figure, although on the downside I do feel like he curtails some of his better rambling stories when he's hosting.

At the very least he needs to hand Jeff his remixed Bombcast theme.

Vinny is a good host, but also does a lot of editing to make his version of the podcast great. I am not sure he has the time weekly to edit the podcast alongside everything else.

LiK

Eh, Ryan was a double-edged sword as podcast host. Sometimes he would keep things on track, other times his zeal for a "clean" podcast meant he would end conversations or even edit out things (like a 30-minute Resident Evil discussion) because it was the easiest thing to cut to get it under three hours. He treated the podcast as a product rather than the Giant Bomb personalities being the product, which produced a lot of good content, but left a lot of equally good stuff on the cutting room floor.

I don't mind if they alternated weekly. Considering all the editing Vinny likes to do, he might get burned out or have less time for videos if Bombcast was a full-time gig.

bjork

is that a fake person pretending to be fake signpost? what the hell is the point of that

The weird thing is, sign waving came to be a thing because towns wouldn't let you have a fixture in place to advertise. If it was a person, they weren't stationary and somehow that's different. Not sure if this sign circumvents that rule, but it's weird.

fleck0

Who else is excited for a week of Alex being back in town!? This not a sarcastic post.

Will be nice to have a bunch of podcasts where he isn't on a skype delay.

Megasoum

Banned
Who else is excited for a week of Alex being back in town!? This not a sarcastic post.

Will be nice to have a bunch of podcasts where he isn't on a skype delay.

He said on the show this morning that's he's in the office only today and tomorrow and that he plans on doing the bombcast, a power bombcast, a movie podcasts and some quicklooks so huh....yeah... Expect like half of that.

Linkified

Vinny is a good host, but also does a lot of editing to make his version of the podcast great. I am not sure he has the time weekly to edit the podcast alongside everything else.

That is why Giant Bomb needs another video duder so we can have 100% Vinnycast 100% All time.

sk3

Banned
I thinking hosting duties takes a bit out of the person doing it, regardless of who it is. I definitely noticed Ryan kind of staying out of conversations to let them evolve, even when he did have something more to add.

Jeff and Vinny both seem more involved and willing to let topics linger, but maybe thats just because Ryan was more focused on keeping the train moving and structured well.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Speaking of Ryan and podcasts, does anyone remember which episode Ryan told the story about the baby on the plane throwing water on some dude?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Alex review of Big Rigs was the highlight of Gamespot for me.
For me it was when Brian Eckberg punched him in the stomach because he lost a bet. I can't even remember what the bet was though...

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/30/gamespot-gets-gut-punched-for-ps3-price-promise/
7Ictbhq.jpg

The video, of course, is gone because of the site upgrade. There's just so much good stuff that was just nuked because they didn't bother saving a site archive or something. :(

jediyoshi

And the extent of his work is apparently also only done in video or audio formats.

ArjanN

I don't actively hate him.

I'm just not looking forward for his presence on the bombcast. I much rather have patrick again.

And I don't think anybody actually is.

People posting 'Alex/Patrick/Whoever is in this? Ugh!' for every. single. thing. they're in only serves to shit up threads and adds nothing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
And the extent of his work is apparently also only done in video or audio formats.

waaaat?

Also I just realized some of the fresh air we've been asking for will be delivered now that Patrick is in Chicago.

popo

video, of course, is gone because of the site upgrade. There's just so much good stuff that was just nuked because they didn't bother saving a site archive or something. :(

Apparently all the content is still there - including the fabled metal gear retrospective - just the new site has no links to a lot if it. It is true that going back and fixing that may never be a priority though. Shame but understandable from a traffic generating prospective.

Recall

This thread and the Giantbomb community is a prime example that you don't know what the word hate means.

I dislike the way Alex goes on about things only he knows about or interrupts with off hand comments that can halt a conversation. Does that mean I hate him? No. Does it mean I may have a personality conflict with him and that his way of doing things isn't for me? Most likely.

If you can't discuss a topic be it a person or hot topic at the time without resorting to such binary extremes of love and hate then you have no reason to flip your shit when people raise their opinions.

Disliking anything is not the same as hating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom