• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phuturist

Banned
I thought Brothers was great but it does help to have specific life contexts and also not be sick of hearing about it by the time you play it.

Maybe I'm pretentious and chronically non conformistic or something, I hope not, but good god did the ending of The Walking Dead annoy me, because I expected pretty much exactly what then happened. That first season went downhill so hard after and during episode 3 for me, I now do not consider it worthy of being in 2012's Top Ten lists, even though I loved the first 2 episodes. All of the hype the game still received did the rest.

Soooo when I heard about Brothers and how amazing it is, my fear that this might happen again rose up and I looked up the story. And yes. Exactly what I expected happens. I don't know but I can't enjoy games that try really hard to have great stories and still just go with my "I hope they don't just do that" scenario.

That's also why I really love The Last Of Us.

This picture here NSFW is awfully close, and therefore almost topic related. And hey, it's not much worse than arguing about review scores or the lack of them without anyone knowing the real reasons.

Edit: It's a woman, @Daniellesharp, in a bra with basically the Giant Bomb Logo on her head.

If you want to see some NSFW Giant Bomb related shit you should seek out the Brad Shoemaker pasties.

phuturist

Banned
Patrick Klepeck liked Brothers a lot too, the rest were not very enthusiastic about it, I thought.

That reminds me, I have no idea what Patrick's Top Ten will be, it seems like he loved every single game a lot. I don't mean that as a negative.

Patrick Klepeck liked Brothers a lot too, the rest were not very enthusiastic about it, I thought.

That reminds me, I have no idea what Patrick's Top Ten will be, it seems like he loved every single game a lot. I don't mean that as a negative.

He should at least have The Swapper pretty high up and that makes me happy.

phuturist

Banned
He should at least have The Swapper pretty high up and that makes me happy.

Yeah but from his comments, one would assume that Brothers, Gone Home, TLOU, 3DS Zelda, WiiU Mario 3D Land are also pretty high up and at some point, that's a bit much. Not every single one of those can be pretty high up.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Jeff's blog always cracks me up.
I imagine reading it on the bus and some longnecker seeing "JEFF GERSTMANN IS STILL A THREAT" in huge letters and thinking 'hmm, i hope they catch the madman."

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Maybe I'm pretentious and chronically non conformistic or something, I hope not, but good god did the ending of The Walking Dead annoy me, because I expected pretty much exactly what then happened. That first season went downhill so hard after and during episode 3 for me, I now do not consider it worthy of being in 2012's Top Ten lists, even though I loved the first 2 episodes. All of the hype the game still received did the rest.

I think it's interesting that you think that, because I have almost the complete opposite feelings on it. Episode 1 and 2 were alright but Episode 3 felt like a huge turnaround where the game started to become comfortable with focusing on its narrative and choice mechanics rather than shoe-horned puzzle segments. Maybe it's a matter of the zeitgeist; I imagine the impact of Episode 3 and Episode 5 are not nearly as hard-hitting when you've already been told it's going to get really depressing.

Also, you've got to admit, Episode 2 is waaaaay more predictable than Episode 5.

Aaron

A weak year? I am honestly curious, what did you miss? What did this year lack, in your opinion? Because for me, this year has been one of the best in recent memory.
For me at least, the hype overshadowed the actual quality of most major releases.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It was a pretty tepid year for 60$ retail releases but the quality, variety, and quantity of smaller scale games on Steam etc was unrivaled this year.

Mesoian

Eh, Bioshock Infinite and Grand Theft Auto 5 are big standouts in my case.

I dunno, this time last year, I knew what my top 10 was with a bullet. I only needed to figure out my 10-7 and the rest came easy. Same with the year before. I have contendors this year, it's just...not nearly of as strong of a list of titles. Mario, W101, BI, SR4 will be up there, but where, and what was best...that'll take a lot more thought than, Journey, P4A, Mark of the Ninja (bang, bang, bang, didn't even need to think about it for longer than 2 minutes).

phuturist

Banned
I think it's interesting that you think that, because I have almost the complete opposite feelings on it. Episode 1 and 2 were alright but Episode 3 felt like a huge turnaround where the game started to become comfortable with focusing on its narrative and choice mechanics rather than shoe-horned puzzle segments. Maybe it's a matter of the zeitgeist; I imagine the impact of Episode 3 and Episode 5 are not nearly as hard-hitting when you've already been told it's going to get really depressing.

Also, you've got to admit, Episode 2 is waaaaay more predictable than Episode 5.

Oh sure. Episode 2 is very predictable, maybe The Walking Dead was not a good example, even though that predictable ending still annoyed the hell out of me. The reason why I increasingly didn't like episode 3 to 5 was the removal of choice. Or at least...you choices do not matter anymore.
They kill the character that you decided to save, so that they don't have to record twice as many lines as people will see. The lady that killed this character, I forgot her name, really likes Lee, and he likes her, but no the "do you want to come with me?" question was no choice, idiot, of course you cannot branch that way! Wether everyone hates you in the end or not does not matter, because they all come back again to help you. You have always done the right thing and nobody would say you are an evil person? Fuck you, you are an evil person because your friends stole stuff from the car even though you told them not to.
At least in the first two episodes, I felt like I had an actual influence on the story progression.
When that influence was away, I thought "Alright, so there is just one ending, please don't let it be the one I expect" and then it was, but drawn out forever to be extra emotional. And I was grumpy. >=(

This year was a fucking blast, y'all are nuts

Gone Home, Pokemon, TLoU, Zelda, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Ace Attorney, Gunpoint, The Swapper, Metal Gear Rising, GTAV, Brothers, Ridiculous Fishing

shit was off the chain

Mesoian

This year was a fucking blast, y'all are nuts

Gone Home, Pokemon, TLoU, Zelda, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Ace Attorney, Gunpoint, The Swapper, Metal Gear Rising, GTAV, Brothers, Ridiculous Fishing

shit was off the chain

See, I don't do mobile. That fact alone is going to be a major factor in my list (almost got a 3DS last week though, came real close but parties and drinking made me miss the target sale). Tearaway would probably be on my list if I planned on playing through it but...I don't see myself buying a VITA this year.

I just picked up Ridiculous Fishing though, I like it but I have the same problem with it that I have with all phone games. Sometimes a touch screen interface is just counter intuitive to gameplay.

I have a hard time narrowing it down to ten already and I haven't even touched any Wii U stuff yet.

The WiiU was super strong for me this year. In buying it during that ebay fire sale, I got 3 of the best games of the year in rapid succession. It's crazy how that happened.

I should finish up Pikman 3, I'm on the last stage, just gotta put it away.

so1337

The WiiU was super strong for me this year. In buying it during that ebay fire sale, I got 3 of the best games of the year in rapid succession. It's crazy how that happened.

I should finish up Pikman 3, I'm on the last stage, just gotta put it away.
Yeah, it's really picked up steam. I'll play the shit out of SM3DW, W101 and Pikmin 3 once I get my Wind Waker bundle later this week.
Neither has anyone else...
It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

Sulik2

The Swapper is one of the best games i have played in years. Patrick better make a strong argument for it. And I am flipping a table if Gone Home makes their top ten.

Mesoian

Sorry Brothers.

To quote someone else earlier, "number 11 on the list, number 12 in our hearts".

You know what the best thing about Brothers is, and I think it's a fantastic game. Brothers proves to me than an FF9HD remake would be best if made by 505 games. SquareEnix should get them to remake FF9, then FF8, then FF7. As I was riding on the troll's back over the mountain, I couldn't help but feel like, "This is it, this is the HD solution that Square has been looking for. This right here".

Anth0ny

you guys are insane. This was one of the strongest years I could remember.

I literally can't pick a GOTY at this point, between:

Super Mario 3D World
Zelda: Link Between Worlds
Grand Theft Auto V
The Last of Us
Fire Emblem Awakening

5 of the strongest games on their respective platforms, period.

Then, another 5 games that are easily stronger than anything that dropped in 2012:

Wonderful 101
Bioshock Infinite
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Pikmin 3

10 games right there that are better than Brothers.

demidar

I don't think I can even come up with 10 great games this year (for me personally). Let's see how far I can get.

Spelunky PC
Metal Gear Rising
Dota 2 (It officially released this year so it counts!)
Fire Emblem Awakening
A Link Between Worlds
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Dual Destinies
Volgarr the Viking
Tales of Xillia
Shin Megami Tensei 4

After that it's a lot harder. If I included games that I know would be great but haven't played, I'd put in Super Mario 3D World, Bravely Default and Wonderful 101. I also played a lot of great games from the yesteryears too, but I don't include them because it's a 2013 only list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom