• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, in my case, this was also the same year that brought us Puppeter, SMT IV and Fire Emblem Awekening (at least to the American continent),.It also reactivated my inner Pokefan.

Tan

Not to mention this year we finally get the release of two amazing mods: Project M and Just Cause 2: Multiplayer (which is going to be searchable in the steam store)

Acid08

Banned
This year has been killer for handhelds. Honestly think almost all of my top 10 will be handheld games.

I hope Jeff gives an argument for Animal Crossing. Such a great game and he said he played a lot of it.

AcridMeat

Banned
This year has been killer for handhelds. Honestly think almost all of my top 10 will be handheld games.

I hope Jeff gives an argument for Animal Crossing. Such a great game and he said he played a lot of it.
Fire Emblem is $15 and I'm like AHHH D:

See, I don't do mobile. That fact alone is going to be a major factor in my list (almost got a 3DS last week though, came real close but parties and drinking made me miss the target sale). Tearaway would probably be on my list if I planned on playing through it but...I don't see myself buying a VITA this year.

I just picked up Ridiculous Fishing though, I like it but I have the same problem with it that I have with all phone games. Sometimes a touch screen interface is just counter intuitive to gameplay.

I was gonna say something along the lines of "you guys musn't own 3DSes" but I thought it sounded a bit too dickish. :lol

But yeah, I can't help noticing a difference in attitude to 2013 between those with handhelds and those without. The 3DS really did fucking own this year.

demidar

I was gonna say something along the lines of "you guys musn't own 3DSes" but I thought it sounded a bit too dickish. :lol

But yeah, I can't help noticing a difference in attitude to 2013 between those with handhelds and those without. The 3DS really did fucking own this year.

3DS is truly beast mode.

Oh I just remembered, Luigi's Mansion 2 came out this year and I thought people loved that game.

Don't forget Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, best shooter of 2013. Also Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Year Walk, XCOM: Enemy Within and Rogue Legacy.

EDIT: For every member, I can think of at least 5 or 6 games that will probably end up on their top 10 list, except for Vinny. I don't remember him really loving any game this year, and I have no idea what will be on his list. Is that right, or am I missing some really obvious ones?

3DS is secretly the best console.

I wouldn't even call it a secret.

I know everyone says Nintendo exists in their own little bubble but I think the 3DS has existed in a whole alternate universe this year. If there was ever a case of the most underpowered machine having the most interesting games it'd be it.

And let us not forget the damn StreetPass rabbit.

eot

Banned
The Swapper is one of the best games i have played in years. Patrick better make a strong argument for it. And I am flipping a table if Gone Home makes their top ten.

Yeah it's really good. Grabbed me way more than Gunpoint.

Curufinwe

My wife loves her 3DS and I did enjoy playing Theatrhythm on it, but the Vita has more games that I want to play, especially with PS+ making so many of them free.

Persona 4 Golden
Uncharted GA
Wipeout 2048
Gravity Rush
VLR
Muramasa
Hotline Miami

SMT IV is the only other 3DS game I'm somewhat interested in, but unlike most gamers I've never liked Zelda and Mario titles.

LackingSaint

Neo Member

It's probably the best that Animal Crossing has ever been, but I dunno. It's just so tedious. I lost about an hour of gameplay a month back (the result of the incredibly outdated save system), and it made me realise that the last thing I ever wanted to do was replay anything in that game. Everything I was doing was just a force of habit, none of it was genuinely fun or interesting. It really did break the whole thing for me.

As for GOTY stuff, I hope Papers Please gets a nod or two. I'm not totally in love with that game or anything but it does such unique things with the medium. None of it felt like well-trodden ground, and it's a great argument for games that don't end up racking up body-counts in the hundreds.

Jeff clearly still loves AC, but I doubt he's going to argue for it at GOTY. I know I wouldn't, it's just this weird thing that you get really into and it charms the pants off you and the multiplayer is excellent but eh

And let us not forget the damn StreetPass rabbit.

I'll suck yo dick

LackingSaint

Neo Member
EDIT: For every member, I can think of at least 5 or 6 games that will probably end up on their top 10 list, except for Vinny. I don't remember him really loving any game this year, and I have no idea what will be on his list. Is that right, or am I missing some really obvious ones?

He really liked The Last of Us, and seemed to like BioShock: Infinite enough that he'll put it in his Top Ten.

I wonder what their game of the year pick will be? Last couple years it was between obvious contenders but this year I'm not so sure...
these games all got 5s:

super mario 3d world
rayman legends
brothers
GTA V
gone home
the last of us
bioshock infinite
dmc

Lunzio

I wonder what their game of the year pick will be? Last couple years it was between obvious contenders but this year I'm not so sure...
these games all got 5s:

super mario 3d world
rayman legends
brothers
GTA V
gone home
the last of us
bioshock infinite
dmc

I have a feeling Gone Home will be one of their top 5 games at least.

I have a feeling Gone Home will be one of their top 5 games at least.

I think so too. It's one of those games that rarely come up but when it does come up they seem pretty fond of it. And honestly I think it should be up there. Game is pretty great and I can't help but want more experiences like it.

Oh sure. Episode 2 is very predictable, maybe The Walking Dead was not a good example, even though that predictable ending still annoyed the hell out of me. The reason why I increasingly didn't like episode 3 to 5 was the removal of choice. Or at least...you choices do not matter anymore.
They kill the character that you decided to save, so that they don't have to record twice as many lines as people will see. The lady that killed this character, I forgot her name, really likes Lee, and he likes her, but no the "do you want to come with me?" question was no choice, idiot, of course you cannot branch that way! Wether everyone hates you in the end or not does not matter, because they all come back again to help you. You have always done the right thing and nobody would say you are an evil person? Fuck you, you are an evil person because your friends stole stuff from the car even though you told them not to.
At least in the first two episodes, I felt like I had an actual influence on the story progression.
When that influence was away, I thought "Alright, so there is just one ending, please don't let it be the one I expect" and then it was, but drawn out forever to be extra emotional. And I was grumpy. >=(

You pretty much nailed what my problems are with the walking dead and the wolf among us. I love Telltale, but they either need to start making their games have actual gameplay mechanics or they need to actually make your choices matter. In the first two episodes of the walking dead they at least made it seem like what you decided to say in a conversation mattered, but conversations almost always play out the same in the later episodes. Even the conversations in the wolf among us suffer from it.

webrunner

not really giant bomb related but if it wasn't for what happened to Ryan I wouldn't be so freaked out right now because I just got diagnosed with sleep apnea

going to try to get a CPAP machine as fast as I can

BearPawB

Banned
not really giant bomb related but if it wasn't for what happened to Ryan I wouldn't be so freaked out right now because I just got diagnosed with sleep apnea

my dad has it.
The CPAP is annoying at first. But he sleeps amazing now, and it doesn't bother my mom too much.

Jokab

Out of curiosity, how did you discover you have it? I don't sleep terribly at night but not that great either, so I think I might have a mild version of it. I should get a sleep study done.

webrunner

Out of curiosity, how did you discover you have it? I don't sleep terribly at night but not that great either, so I think I might have a mild version of it. I should get a sleep study done.

snoring keeping my SO up, also tired all the time. went to do a sleep study and they said I had it

Decided to watch Spring Breakers as the Bombcast was late - now Spring Breakers is over, and the Bombcast is still not up.

I have no idea what the fuck just happened in the last 90 minutes, but my life will forever be different

I need the Bombcast to drag me back to reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom