• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

Now that Daily Dota is no more, Patrick is the real content machine. Chicago is keeping the site afloat, get on his level San Francisco office.

Jintor

Christ, I hate GB's video player. Even on HTML 5 it'll just randomly stop and never start up again.

Sucks balls that all the subscriber content is locked to it because half the time I can't goddamn watch it

Aaron

Christ, I hate GB's video player. Even on HTML 5 it'll just randomly stop and never start up again.

Sucks balls that all the subscriber content is locked to it because half the time I can't goddamn watch it
Progressive is the only thing that works for me, which kind of sucks for a long vid that I've already watched a chunk of.

Darklord

Banned

Why not just download them?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

The giantbomb buddy app is great to use as a video player.

I think Spookin' with Scoops might be my favourite GB feature.

I don't know about anyone else but all GB videos (or at least all recent ones) have audio sync problems when downloaded for me.

I have downloaded all the GB videos that I watch since the feature was made available, and I haven't had any sync issues for many months. Which video player are you using?

Yuripaw

Banned
I don't know about anyone else but all GB videos (or at least all recent ones) have audio sync problems when downloaded for me.

Same here! This wasn't the case, but starting around the time that the last part of the Bioforge videos went up, I started noticing all downloaded videos would eventually start playing out of sync. What the heck.

Ken

Weird, seems fine for me and I download everything. I use Internet Download Manager if that could make any difference.

I download them straight from the site without any fancy programs and I have no audio problems here either.

Ulumsk

Don't tell them I said this, but they already make too much content for me to get through it all. Premium sub is still more than worth it, but I almost never watch Quick Looks anymore. Priorities be fucked I know.

Xater

The giantbomb buddy app is great to use as a video player.

Yeah it works better than their real player. I used to watch HTML5 videos on their site but now it's just impossible. (randomly stops all the time) Progressive works, but it sucks if you want to continue a video. So basically now I am only using the stream version and I am not particularly happy about that.

demidar

I think I got you beat: sometimes, the HTML5 player stops but I can still hear the audio going, and I know it's still loading video but not displaying it because my network Widget shows my bandwidth is capped. It still plays even after I refresh/close the tab for about 10-20 seconds (though I think it might just be playing out video that's leftover).

Other than that, no problems.

I have downloaded all the GB videos that I watch since the feature was made available, and I haven't had any sync issues for many months. Which video player are you using?

I download them straight from the site without any fancy programs and I have no audio problems here either.

I download mine normally and watch them on my laptop which is a Mac. I've tested it out on MPlayer and VLC (which is my backup). I never thought to test them on my PC though, not that I have any need for them there.

I've even tried remuxing the downloaded HD videos into mkv's but I get an error saying they are missing some timecode files. The audio sync problems still persist regardless.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Also try using a media player application on your desktop to open the download link and stream it that way. VLC always streams their videos a bit choppy for me, but WMP is near perfect for streaming.

Das Ace

Now that Daily Dota is no more, Patrick is the real content machine. Chicago is keeping the site afloat, get on his level San Francisco office.

The two guys left at San Fran whose job it is to cover the video games are probably crushed under corporate meetings/ pondering why they actually brought a wii u all day.

+Patrick has a crazy work ethic to go with that stay at home freedom.

denshuu

I pretty much just use the Giantbomb site as a way to quickly check whether or not I should go to the Giantbomb Youtube page.

Antiwhippy

Their stream option works terribly. It can't seem to decide how good my connection is, and I'm 99% that it's pretty good. Constant hiccups to change to a low res version. If I go HD on HTML5 I can watch it right away, problem is that their HTML5 video has a tendency to stop playing or not start at all.

Zaph

Gamespot is re-launching very soon, which means the new video player must be nearly ready too.

They've got a new small team dedicated to it, so hopefully it isn't a disaster.

Fan-built apps grabbing the H264 file shouldn't be the best way of watching their content...

LCfiner

All this talk of video player woes just makes me feel lucky. Running their HTML5 player in Safari on a Mac.

Never had a problem with stream cutoffs or slow buffering. everything runs great. but it seems I'm in a minority here, having not experience problems.

Valtýr

I watch GB videos with Progressive settings and never have any problems. It loads the video in HD faster than the video plays.

Antiwhippy

Valtýr;84492385 said:
I watch GB videos with Progressive settings and never have any problems. It loads the video in HD faster than the video plays.

I sometimes want to skip to a specific part at the start though.

Megasoum

Banned
I don't have much issues at home watching in HTML 5 on Chrome with a big internet connection but when I'm at work, the only thing that works (other than youtube) is streaming and it suuuucckkksssss.

Zornack

Also try using a media player application on your desktop to open the download link and stream it that way. VLC always streams their videos a bit choppy for me, but WMP is near perfect for streaming.

That's what I've done for the last few months, works wonderfully.

rakhir

Everytime i end any video on their site the audio starts again from the begining. I ended up downloading everything.

LiK

I don't have any major issues with their video player on their site. I use Chrome. The podcast player has been iffy tho. Sometimes the controls don't work when I wanna pause or it loses its place when I pause it for too long. Kinda weird cuz I never had that issue before.

Patryn

I don't have any major issues with their video player on their site. I use Chrome. The podcast player has been iffy tho. Sometimes the controls don't work when I wanna pause or it loses its place when I pause it for too long. Kinda weird cuz I never had that issue before.

I use Chrome, and without fail if I pause a video for a few minutes, when I start it back up, it'll play about 30 seconds and then abruptly end. It's terrible.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh yeah, the thing that annoys me with the HTML5 player is that if you watch a video in full screen, there's no way to get out of fullscreen once the video is over. You can press Escape but since I have 2 monitors, I normally do stuff on the second screen while the video plays so I loose the focus on that window.

So right now when a video is done I have to click play to restart it and then I can get the button to get out of full screen.

Such a terrible mess of a design.

LiK

Oh yeah, the thing that annoys me with the HTML5 player is that if you watch a video in full screen, there's no way to get out of fullscreen once the video is over. You can press Escape but since I have 2 monitors, I normally do stuff on the second screen while the video plays so I loose the focus on that window.

So right now when a video is done I have to click play to restart it and then I can get the button to get out of full screen.

Such a terrible mess of a design.

Haha, same complaint here.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
On-site player has started acting up for me over the last few days, too. Just constant buffering.

Weird thing is downloading the videos is ultrafast.

I've also noticed that HD videos seemed to have dropped in quality over the last few months. A lot of macro blocking that didn't used to be there.

No_Style

I haven't touched a single one of Chicago GB's content. I have nothing against Patrick, I just build up content over the week and chose to consume all of the SF GB content on the weekend because it seems more interesting.

Kimaka

I haven't touched a single one of Chicago GB's content. I have nothing against Patrick, I just build up content over the week and chose to consume all of the SF GB content on the weekend because it seems more interesting.

While I'll occasionally check out the Bombing in the A.M., I've stop trying to watch the rest of the Chicago videos. I like Patrick but I just can't get into solo quick looks. Its like Patrick doesn't exist anymore.

Lunzio

I only download videos and watch them in VLC. I don't even consider that Giant Bomb has a video player on the site.

Brashnir

According to Crispy, DD will be back. They're discussing ways to re-tool the show, but it's not gone forever.

sixghost

While we're complaining about the video player, the Streaming option jumps around in quality way too much for me. Despite never having a problem playing the videos in HD when it's on progressive, it's constantly dumping me to Low, then up to High or HD for like 25 seconds, then back to Low. It's even more annoying because the video repeats the last second of audio every time it switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom