• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this has been posted, but apparently Jeff's long lost brother (son?) is starring in Kirstie Alley's new show:

20131111.jpg

how can any of these people still get jobs

This sentiment never makes any sense. How would that have any effect on your potential enjoyment of the game?
It wouldn't necessarily. But it's so grating that I wanted nothing to do with whatever people were losing their fucking minds over. It didn't help that if you didn't like it or found it too difficult, people would shit all over you for having a dissenting opinion. The way people acted about it, especially the sort of superiority around it, was really gross and not something I wanted to be a part of.

As for the every game should be like Dark Souls cult? There's a thread on the front page here of that exact thing. It's excessive.

This sentiment never makes any sense. How would that have any effect on your potential enjoyment of the game?

It's natural to associate products with their fanbases. And Dark Souls has a sizable amount of fans who are incredibly annoying in their constant proselytizing and inability to talk about anything else. I've been a DaS fan since Day 1, and even I notice how ridiculous it gets at times. It won't effect you once you begin playing, but it definitely can be a deterrent to anyone that browses forums to see the ad-nauseum "Dark Souls GOTYAY EVERY GAME SHOULD BE DARK SOULS" type of posts.

sixghost

It wouldn't necessarily. But it's so grating that I wanted nothing to do with whatever people were losing their fucking minds over. It didn't help that if you didn't like it or found it too difficult, people would shit all over you for having a dissenting opinion. The way people acted about it, especially the sort of superiority around it, was really gross and not something I wanted to be a part of.

As for the every game should be like Dark Souls cult? There's a thread on the front page here of that exact thing. It's excessive.

I understand your position, it just doesn't make any sense. You don't need to be best friends with everyone else that likes a game. Every beloved franchise has parts of the fanbase that take things way to far. It's such a bizarre reason to not play a game that you might otherwise be interested in.

LegoArmo

I'm watching an old TNT. Patrick is so wrong about the Metal Gear games. Seems to be of the opinion that they're all bad games except for 3.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think the player progression in dark souls is a failure of sorts. I've put 70 hours or so into that game and nothing was as exciting as the first 1/3rd or whatever. I too am guilty of evangelizing dark souls, but it's a deeply flawed experience. I am very curious about the sequel.

graboids

I'm watching an old TNT. Patrick is so wrong about the Metal Gear games. Seems to be of the opinion that they're all bad games except for 3.

I was watching an old TNT and seeing Patrick without the beard/goatee was a big shock, I barely recognized him, so weird....

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Revenant Wings for the DS is clearly the best FF game.

Not at all, just other stuff getting in the way. Plus the Great Twitch Calamity of '13. Stay tuned.

You guys need to lure Jared in with another wrestling stream, and then lock him in the quick look room or something until Twitch fixes this shit.

Have you been able to speak with those guys at all? Get any insight into why exactly they'd can a feature they know full well people like you were relying on?

Two Brothers Quick Look coming tomorrow!

Odds on a "Long awaited sequel to one of the top 10 games of 2013" or similar gag coming in the first few minute?

Can't help but wonder what difficulty he had the AI set to. I have it at unbeatable now, with most of my playtime being on the one before that and the AI is brilliant and very rarely acts in the way he describes. It's the first racing game I've played that actually presents a challenge with the AI and it feels really rewarding to beat them. They actively defend their position and handle corners smartly for the most part.

Not to mention Forza has always had really aggressive AI. If GT has old gentlemen driving leisurely the racing line then Forza 3/4 had their grandchildren taking joyrides.

Can't help but wonder what difficulty he had the AI set to. I have it at unbeatable now, with most of my playtime being on the one before that and the AI is brilliant and very rarely acts in the way he describes. It's the first racing game I've played that actually presents a challenge with the AI and it feels really rewarding to beat them. They actively defend their position and handle corners smartly for the most part.

Not to mention Forza has always had really aggressive AI. If GT has old gentlemen driving leisurely the racing line then Forza 3/4 had their grandchildren taking joyrides.
Watch the quick look and I think its on the xbox launch day stream as well. You can see the drivers acting like he describes, they do it in my game too :(

Watch the quick look and I think its on the xbox launch day stream as well. You can see the drivers acting like he describes, they do it in my game too :(

I have, which is why I ask what drivatar difficulty he has it set to. The behavior changes dramatically as you crank it up, and why wouldn't you?

And as mentioned Forza has always had ram happy AI so the vast majority of the AI improvements more than make up for any issues on even the lower difficulties.

People are confusing cheesing (Curu's wall notch trick) with crutches (Drake Sword), they are COMPLETE opposites.

...ok? I'm not sure what you're saying here. I'm not doing that. I like the game a lot.

If you're unsure the target, why the conviction that I was? If you're unsure of the message, how do you know to defend yourself?

Mesoian

You gotta have some big fucking balls to name your kid Ultima. Feels like their one path in life is galactic conquest with that name.

demidar

My rankings for PS1 FFs is IX > VII > VIII. VIII had some good ideas but massively screwed up with the level scaling and its story is dumb.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Jeff would marry someone named Ultima.

Good posts.

I will never ever understand the people that criticize the way Vinny plays Dark Souls. As if slapping on Havel's Armor + Iron Flesh is somehow "cheesing" the fight and ruining his experience. The (a) beauty of Dark Souls is choice and being able to play a huge array of styles. Criticizing people that choose not to roll and just put on big ass armor seems really backwards and condescending.

A few people mention how it's not entertaining for the stream, but I was certainly entertained. I may be in the minority (or majority), but that certainly doesn't matter when I think having this said viewpoint is simply restricting that of which Dark Souls is capable. I find it extremely silly, honestly. Rorie and Matt certainly enjoyed it. Vinny got different experiences out of the Artorias fight and Manus fight and that's fine. Why is it a problem? It certainly isn't for me and I'm sure plenty of other people enjoyed it, too. Most importantly, Vinny seemed to have a good time.

He's not just putting on heavy armor, he's putting on the heaviest armor and using a spell that makes you like a billion more durable.

it's not invalid, but it is totally cheesing.

What sets Dark Souls apart from most other games is that you generally don't just hold up and keep tapping the attack button. It's weird to go out of your way specifically to do that with the game. Sure, it's possible and they purposely made it possible but theres a reason you don't hear most people recommending it. It goes against the nature of the game.

popo

I have, which is why I ask what drivatar difficulty he has it set to. The behavior changes dramatically as you crank it up, and why wouldn't you?

And as mentioned Forza has always had ram happy AI so the vast majority of the AI improvements more than make up for any issues on even the lower difficulties.

Maybe if you are a driving veteran but having to crank the difficulty all the way up to see decent AI is hardly practical for the vast majority. Not going to see that realistic driving if you are sat in last place all the time.

Maybe if you are a driving veteran but having to crank the difficulty all the way up to see decent AI is hardly practical for the vast majority. Not going to see that realistic driving if you are sat in last place all the time.

You don't have to crank it up all the way, even at the half-way mark it's a noticeable difference. Don't get why you would race at the easier settings, it's just really boring. Game even includes multiple assists that are completely separate and a rewind function. One won't learn how to race properly otherwise. Not to mention difficulty doesn't magically give the AI nitro.

demidar

Sometimes you get QLs that are just... nothing.

I would classify that Space Terraria QL as 'eh'

Starbound is kinda terrible at telling you what to do and how it works. Like for example that alien meat is only dropped when killed by a bow (fixed in today's patch, now a small chance to drop if killed by not-a-bow). You can make a pickaxe that digs in a 3x3 area and is much faster than the Matter Manipulator, but Jeff didn't make it. The game doesn't even hint at how to get plant fibres, Jeff was lucky with that one. The bars along the bottom that pop up aren't really that clear, like that time Jeff died of hypothermia (fixed in today's patch, the bar now looks like a thermometer which should get the idea across). The game also doesn't tell you how to farm, which while not complicated can lead to people just breaking their crops ala Minecraft and saying "Why I no get food?" (you have to press "E" on the crop to break it correctly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom