• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he is a prick that freaks out when anyone disagrees with him. From a quick gis

If you ignore his twitter and some of his ranting videos and stick to his WTF is... stuff he's bearable.

His wtf videos are usually so uninformed and ignorant they're not particularly bearable there either. I really have no reason to ever pay attention to him at all ever. With Giant Bomb at least I like their personalities so if they don't enjoy something I like, or are incorrect about something factual, whatever I can still enjoy it.

It really scares me that he has so much power in this pc indie game scene.

For example, the waves post-mortem:

Youtube

The highest result on youtube for Waves is Total Biscuits WTF is… of the Waves demo. Which he didn’t like. This screwed me quite badly because that’s basically 150,000 people who will now never try the game because Total Biscuit doesn’t like Score-Attack shooters. It’s also annoying because some of the complaints levelled in that same video are fixed in the full game because of his feedback. If you want your indie game to do well make sure Total Biscuit likes it because he can send a few hundred thousand people straight to your Steam page to give you money.

Megasoum

Banned
I feel like I've completely lost Tested (or have they lost me?).

Are you a rich red head dude with glasses and cowboy hat who blow shit up on tv for a living? If the answer is no then they don't give a shit. If the answer is yes then OHHH BOOYYY are you in for a treat!

Mesoian

I feel like I've completely lost Tested (or have they lost me?).

Eh...

Just like in the old days, tested stuff is still the best when invaded by Giantbomb. The DadCast is still amazing, but the flare behind their own stuff just seems to be fading. Watching the videos with Will just lusting over coffee and coffee accessories used to be a lot of fun. Now it's sort of..I dunno, drab?

Eh...

Just like in the old days, tested stuff is still the best when invaded by Giantbomb. The DadCast is still amazing, but the flare behind their own stuff just seems to be fading. Watching the videos with Will just lusting over coffee and coffee accessories used to be a lot of fun. Now it's sort of..I dunno, drab?

Will's still 100x better than Norm, who just.... eh, i dunno man.

Mesoian

I never thought Norm put himself out there enough. I know Will loves Coffee, Corgies, Technology and his wife. I don't know what Norm loves. I've never known, and I've been watching their videos for years. As a character on this internet experiment show thing they have, that's a problem.

Every time I've met Norm in person, he seemed really overwhelmed by what was going on around him. Granted, I've met him in some pretty friggen extreme situations, but still. It always feels like he's caught in other people's wakes.

Mesoian

That dev is complaining that his game had problems, TB pointed out said problems, the dev fixed the problems, and then... what? Critics have to go back and revisit every game that is patched? Not TB's fault it needed work.

Basically. Unless people want more places to do what Polygon does.

That dev is complaining that his game had problems, TB pointed out said problems, the dev fixed the problems, and then... what? Critics have to go back and revisit every game that is patched? Not TB's fault it needed work.

I should have phrased that better. My problem isn't that TB has problems in that instance, but that it's believed (by at least that guy) that he wields a large audience that can make or break a game period.

I don't believe that should exist period.

I especially don't like that TB is the one who has that as I don't agree with plenty of his other opinions.

Is this TB's fault? No. Of course not. Others need to step up to the plate. It just still leaves a sour taste in my mouth as he's incredibly opinionated and rash.

daycru

I consider myself a hoodie enthusiest, and I would tend ot dissagree. I have never worn one but look at the zipper on the one Will is wearing, it is all warped after just a couple of months. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE for a quality hoodie.

GARBAGE.

Recommend us some hot ish.

CzarTim

I should have phrased that better. My problem isn't that TB has problems in that instance, but that it's believed (by at least that guy) that he wields a large audience that can make or break a game period.

I especially don't like that TB is the one who has that as I don't agree with plenty of his other opinions.

Is this TB's fault? No. Of course not. Others need to step up to the plate. It just still leaves a sour taste in my mouth as he's incredibly opinionated and rash.

Eh, I assume a lot of the big sites have that same power. I seem to remember chubigans' blog saying that Cook, Serve, Delicious! was not doing well until GB did a video of it.

There are a lot of reasons to dislike TB, but I don't think this is one of them. I'm sure he has put the spotlight on plenty of indie games for the better. Not many "big" name critics do that.

Mr. F

Banned
I never thought Norm put himself out there enough. I know Will loves Coffee, Corgies, Technology and his wife. I don't know what Norm loves. I've never known, and I've been watching their videos for years. As a character on this internet experiment show thing they have, that's a problem.

Every time I've met Norm in person, he seemed really overwhelmed by what was going on around him. Granted, I've met him in some pretty friggen extreme situations, but still. It always feels like he's caught in other people's wakes.

Norm loves talking over people and being boorishly stubborn in asserting his opinions (but so does Will). They're a bad pair as broadcasting co-hosts.

Also TB is a douche. I'm no fan of the morning show but nonetheless kind of disappointed they would give him a platform after a long and clear history of being kind of an ass. Strikes me as a bit hypocritical given Patrick's TEDx talk.

Mesoian

Norm loves talking over people and being boorishly stubborn in asserting his opinions (but so does Will). They're a bad pair as broadcasting co-hosts.

Also TB is a douche. I'm no fan of the morning show but nonetheless kind of disappointed they would give him a platform after a long and clear history of being kind of an ass. Strikes me as a bit hypocritical given Patrick's TEDx talk.

Did you watch the interview? It was uncharacteristically professional. TB can conduct himself in a thoughtful manner if he tries.

Mesoian

I didn't, likely won't. Uncharacteristically is the problematic part.

You should. Part of figuring out if someone is worth listening to is listening to them in settings that aren't mired within their comfort zone. That mentality is how I came around on Jim Sterling, but why I still don't like Leigh Alexander.

Based on some comments in here, I'm guessing it's safe to say Tested is markedly shittier than ever before? And perhaps that Adam Savage is perhaps the most hyperbolic, self-important individual in existence. Pardon the hyperbole.

Mesoian

Based on some comments in here, I'm guessing it's safe to say Tested is markedly shittier than ever before? And perhaps that Adam Savage is perhaps the most hyperbolic, self-important individual in existence. Pardon the hyperbole.

I wouldn't call it shitty. I'd just call it increasingly devoid of any real substance or personality.

Unless they have guests on, then it's okay.

Yeah, I have no idea what niche Tested is trying to fit in. One day they're trying to be a tech site, the next it's something about a gun Adam is making and then it's a coffee video. But then all that content is spread out so wide that it fails to keep anyone interested in any one of those topics invested in their site or personalities.

I think their coffee content is the best. I don't know a lot about coffee but I like making and drinking it and Will sure sounds confident talking about it.

That said, everything about Tested feels misguided and I have no idea how they've survived this long.

Zaph

And this 'power' leads into exactly what I dislike about TB:

He offers consultancy services to publishers for unreleased games (and I don't think he divulges which).
He offers promotion/ambassador/hosting services to publishers (like for Planetside 2)

He is the anti-Giant Bomb. Everything Jeff has criticized about the industry (like mock reviews - which he fired someone at GameSpot for) and the questionable standards of some Youtubers, TB does. If Patrick is meant to be the journalist of the crew, why didn't he talk to TB when the whole 'games journalism' and shady Youtuber dealings was going on? Why only invite him on to blow smoke up his arse when they're having issues and need support from the community?

But it's all okay guys, he doesn't score games.

daycru

Yeah, I have no idea what niche Tested is trying to fit in. One day they're trying to be a tech site, the next it's something about a gun Adam is making and then it's a coffee video. But then all that content is spread out so wide that it fails to keep anyone interested in any one of those topics invested in their site or personalities.

I think their coffee content is the best. I don't know a lot about coffee but I like making and drinking it and Will sure sounds confident talking about it.

That said, everything about Tested feels misguided and I have no idea how they've survived this long.

Sweet Jesus, those comment numbers.

Well, lack of numbers.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tested's first piece of premium content was an audio commentary featuring Will, Norm, and Adam on the film A.I.

They're basically a maker site with some emphasis on big tech releases, niche tech releases (Will on coffee and cooking, Norm on cameras), and random science articles. I assume it survives mostly on fans of Jamie coming to the site though.

I've really been liking Tested's content as of late. Their YouTube presence has exploded. Norm tweeted recently that their subscribers on YT has grown from 50K to 300k. Their content on prop making is fantastic and has inspired me to dabble in it.

Thanks to Will, Norm, and Adam for inspiring me to poke around with a new hobby. Here is my DaftPunk Guy helmet that I am working through.
tumblr_mvpdg5OuSX1qza3e8o3_500.jpg

I feel that content that inspires someone to be creative is the best content.

Kerned

Banned
I've really been liking Tested's content as of late. Their YouTube presence has exploded. Norm tweeted recently that their subscribers on YT has grown from 50K to 300k. Their content on prop making is fantastic and has inspired me to dabble in it.

Thanks to Will, Norm, and Adam for inspiring me to poke around with a new hobby. Here is my DaftPunk Guy helmet that I am working through.

That looks awesome so far!

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like you're not supposed to be into everything tested does, only enough to keep you comming back. Some of their stuff is pretty popular and I'm happy with watching maybe every 10th video they make. But I don't think I've ever read one of their articles.

edit: That sweater, though.

Mesoian

That you Harrison?

LeBart

Remember when he visited the Large Hadron Collider and got to meet two CERN physicists and the whole interview was him trying to sell them on his analogy between the Higgs field and "the force" using Star Wars legos?
That was painful to watch.

I honestly didn't realize Screened was still a website until just now.

Every 6 or so months I seem to check it to see of its still being updated and if no one is commenting. Been like that for a while now. I guess some interns are doing it or some shit.

In another 6 months Ill have to check the forums and see how active they are. Maybe some people are using that unmonitored corner of the internet to deal drugs or something.

Every 6 or so months I seem to check it to see of its still being updated and if no one is commenting. Been like that for a while now. I guess some interns are doing it or some shit.

In another 6 months Ill have to check the forums and see how active they are. Maybe some people are using that unmonitored corner of the internet to deal drugs or something.

BermanBraun had somebody running the site at a lower level, but there was still consistent content going up for the first couple months. Sure, it was like every other third-rate movie site out there, but it was still active in posting and the articles were plain, but competent. After that person left the site, it's gone completely down the drain.

I don't really complain about much of Giant Bomb, but the fact that Patrick gives a TedEx Talk, which at its core is about people been dickheads on the Internet, yet now gives one of those very dickheads a platform to speak is ridiculous.

Sure there is a difference with what Patrick (and others in the media) have to deal with, but they are lightning rods that are naturally going to draw idiots to troll them due to their job position. Total Biscut is treating stabbing, plus wishing cancer and death up everyday people. He does not even have anonymity to fall back on - which is usually a go to (albeit bad) excuse people fall back on to justify their actions.

I guess it is okay to be a dickhead on the Internet if you have a following

Just because you have someone on your show, primarily to discuss an issue with which they have a unique insight, doesn't mean you are either validating or excusing what their previous actions, statements, or positions are. They're not endorsing what he's said or done.

I do think it would be good if Patrick or Alex shared their views on it -- I know Patrick does occasionally post here -- but ultimately, they are going to cover what they want to cover, in the way they want to cover it. Accusations or implications of hypocrisy or impropriety probably won't do much to change their mind. But asking them, well, maybe that could start a dialogue. Patrick has been good at answering questions in the past, so maybe people should slip him some questions about it (non-inflammatory) in his Tumblr. Maybe he'll comment on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom