• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan

e95X5IW.png

The Giant Bomb Live account has been pretty off for a while now but this takes the cake.

Man, Vinny is teeeeerrible.

he needs to be more aggressive.

There's only really one thing to be afraid of in Dark Souls, and that's losing a large number of souls. Vinny has such a small number of souls that there's no reason for him to not be aggressive.

On the other end of the Dark Souls spectrum, these streams have got me back into attempting my ENB Challenge Warrior! I'm up to about 35 tries at beating Smough & Ornstein... I'll get it eventually!

Zornack

There's only really one thing to be afraid of in Dark Souls, and that's losing a large number of souls. Vinny has such a small number of souls that there's no reason for him to not be aggressive.

On the other end of the Dark Souls spectrum, these streams have got me back into attempting my ENB Challenge Warrior! I'm up to about 35 tries at beating Smough & Ornstein... I'll get it eventually!

ENB?

And after watching the stream I still don't understand how anyway could play DS with over 25% encumbrance. Roll invulnerability is just so good and you're so quick at that breakpoint.

demidar

I'm actually doing a 4e D&D campaign with my friends so this Pathfinder stream is serendipitous.

Last time we made characters it took about 5 hours lol

Aaron

I'm actually doing a 4e D&D campaign with my friends so this Pathfinder stream is serendipitous.

This is why I like more simplistic systems. Less stats and more actual roleplaying.

Orgun

I've only really been playing RPGs for a year now and as a novelty we did a short MERP game, holy fuck that system is hooooooooorrible.

demidar

This is why I like more simplistic systems. Less stats and more actual roleplaying.

Yeah, 3.5e is pretty in-depth but it can argued that a lot of it is bloat. 4e is simpler with less skills but they can be applied in about as many places as a 3.5e system. Not to mention the powers system is much better than just rolling for basic attacks constantly. But the biggest reason is time, it takes a lot of time to work through all the stuff in 3.5e and getting 5 guys together for a few hours is tough.

3.5e is pretty good if you can keep track of everything with ease like NWN2/Infinity Engine games but obviously they are limited in organic world response since only an actual real person DM can provide that.

The first Load Our Last Souls made me actually want to check out Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. I bought Dark Souls with my cheap MS points when it was on sale a while back, and then after that, Demon's Souls was free on PS+ in the EU. Which should I try first?

Also, that new Robocop reboot is looking alright:

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The first Load Our Last Souls made me actually want to check out Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. I bought Dark Souls with my cheap MS points when it was on sale a while back, and then after that, Demon's Souls was free on PS+ in the EU. Which should I try first?

Try demon souls first to see the serie's legacy, but either is fine really. They have pretty different setups honestly.

Do you like an organic, open world? Dark. Do you like a hub world with more structured levels (not to say that dark soul's levels aren't structured, because the level design is phenomenal in these games)? Demon's.

I tried Dark Souls recently and died quickly every time.

Gonna watch Vinny's effort to see if it's going to be a game I watch someone play, or actually try and play myself. Not a huge fan of doing the same shit over and over and over.

Jintor

Gonna watch Vinny's effort to see if it's going to be a game I watch someone play, or actually try and play myself. Not a huge fan of doing the same shit over and over and over.

Learn caution.

But also yeah... get used to doing some things over again if you fuck up.

LiK

Watching DS LPs is a very good way to learn the basics of the game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Don't worry, that just means you're playing it right.

So did I for a while, and I held on and it's one of my favourite games of all time. If you want a smoother experience though look up a guide only on the order you should tackle each area (and maybe where to go to get to that area), it makes the difficulty ramp up at a steadier rate.

Zaph

DM Rorie gives the players far too much information, i.e "there are ten more encounters left."
Seemed intentional. Playing mostly with complete beginners, most of the GB viewers are clueless too and he wants to keep the stream entertaining and fast.

I know nothing about tabletops, but he seemed to be doing a great job balancing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom