• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

megalowho

Giant Bomb has been killing it with Premium content this week - OR Spookin' With Scoops was a high water mark for that feature and Pathfinder was hilarious and engaging even for someone with no tabletop experience. Haven't even watched LOLS and there's still an Unprofessional Friday to go. The focus is appreciated, hope it brings some new subscribers into the fold.

on one hand I like Giant Bomb's policy of not covering games they don't give a fuck about

on the other, the fact that the only series that falls victim to this rule is Pokemon makes me sad ;_;

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
on one hand I like Giant Bomb's policy of not covering games they don't give a fuck about

on the other, the fact that the only series that falls victim to this rule is Pokemon makes me sad ;_;

I think they'll cover it. They've covered Black. X/Y is a big enough change.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They get around.
There are basically 4 companies that advertise on podcasts. It's almost as bad as video game advertising.

Also, the character creation bit of Pathfinder was sooooooooooooo long. I almost wish the game just came with starting characters so people could just play the game right off the bat.

Xater

There are basically 4 companies that advertise on podcasts. It's almost as bad as video game advertising.

Also, the character creation bit of Pathfinder was sooooooooooooo long. I almost wish the game just came with starting characters so people could just play the game right off the bat.

It did come with starting characters, they just decided to not use them.

Also who cares about a KH 1.5 QL? It's the same stuff in HD. It's still a confusing mess. There, done!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Unfortunately that arrived during Brad's temporary promotion to the position of Dota Editor.

Forgot they did Black. Last one I remember was HeartGold.

Patrick straight up saying "NO-ONE CARES" is some emotions I don't want in me

Patrick says that about a lot of things. :p

Also it's definitely true that nobody at giantbomb really cares, but I don't think they cared about Ascension: Hands of Kul either.

webrunner

Unfortunately that arrived during Brad's temporary promotion to the position of Dota Editor.

Didn't they say they were supposed to get a copy but didn't (most likely were sent to an old office)

I've never wanted to subscribe to giant bomb more than to see vinny play a tabletop RPG

ultron87

It does, but creating your own characters and personalities at the start is a big part of the fun of it.

The only problem comes in when people are making big character defining decisions about stats and stuff without really understanding the game system. I usually run newbies through a quick starter dungeon with pre-made characters and then make characters for a real campaign after that just so they know how the game plays. I haven't watched the video yet so I don't know how Rorie handles that with them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It did come with starting characters, they just decided to not use them.

Also who cares about a KH 1.5 QL? It's the same stuff in HD. It's still a confusing mess. There, done!
They probably should have just used those, especially since they spent half the time rolling characters that Rorie didn't want them to play because they were outside the scope of the beginner kit.
Ah well, at least the next episode should go a lot smoother.

It does, but creating your own characters and personalities at the start is a big part of the fun of it.

The only problem comes in when people are big character defining decisions about stats and stuff without really understanding the game system. I usually run newbies through a quick starter dungeon with pre-made characters and then make characters for a real campaign after that just so they know how the game plays. I haven't watched the video yet so I don't know how Rorie handles that with them.
It was basically a free for all. It doesn't help that Ian seems to know the rules more than Rorie, to the point where Rorie (sort of) had a hissy fit and asked if he wanted to DM in his place. :p

Hey, sort of like the dynamic during the Dark Souls streams. lol

popo

Maybe someone will give Pokemon a try. Ryan was the one most likely.

Is it actually different time or is it just the same old shit with better gfx? I am really not up for another "you are a trainer - go fight the boss trainers in X towns".

Patrick says that about a lot of things. :p

Also it's definitely true that nobody at giantbomb really cares, but I don't think they cared about Ascension: Hands of Kul either.

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. They Quick Look everything else. Also their best material usually comes from a total lack of interest (example: that Black QL is hilarious because it's Vinny being daft about every little thing).

Maybe someone will give Pokemon a try. Ryan was the one most likely.

Is it actually different time or is it just the same old shit with better gfx? I am really not up for another "you are a trainer - go fight the boss trainers in X towns".

Ehhhhhh, you should see the review thread.

Xater

The only problem comes in when people are making big character defining decisions about stats and stuff without really understanding the game system. I usually run newbies through a quick starter dungeon with pre-made characters and then make characters for a real campaign after that just so they know how the game plays. I haven't watched the video yet so I don't know how Rorie handles that with them.

Rorie probably should have been a stricter GM.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Since they were just starting out I think he was just giving them a heads up on what to prepare for. Hopefully he weens them off such information.
Yea that seems to be good protocol when bringing new players into the fold. Ya don't want to scare these guys off from going at another game like that so soon.

Kerned

Banned
It was basically a free for all. It doesn't help that Ian seems to know the rules more than Rorie, to the point where Rorie (sort of) had a hissy fit and asked if he wanted to DM in his place. :p

I think that Ian would have been a better choice to DM this game. I get that it's Rorie's show, but a confident DM with a good understanding of the rules is absolutely key to keep things moving along. Rorie just doesn't seem very prepared. I think new players are more likely to be turned off by confusion and chaos than by a stricter DM.

I enjoyed the stream all the same. I can't wait to see the continuing adventures of Vin Bomb. Also, "John Swordmagic" got a genuine lol out of me.

I don't think Brad likes Dota 2 anymore.

You go through waves. He'll probably be back. You need to be pushed down to remind you how trash you are and then once you get past the depression that you wasted all this time in your life on something you're terrible at, it reignites the 'I need to get better and understand more' phase again where you start casually browsing the wiki pages and memorizing damage types in between your 4 games a night. Shit is deadly.

There's a new guilty gear coming up though!

How much would it take to get Brad onto KOF. It's on Steam now and everything so he's all set!

i6KFWnapcCjuP.gif

Horsehead wearing BradofShoemaker is the hero we need

popo

Ehhhhhh, you should see the review thread.

I scanned it. Lots of reviews saying it is the best yet with gfx and mechanics but not much about the story. Seems to at least start with the same old "rise to the top of the trainer league" I have played before.

You can make a really good pokemon game - all the main franchise games seem to score highly - and still not be for me.

First review said how disappointed he was that is was so much easier than past games - and then gave it 10/10.

What did GAF do? Didn't Brad and his guys just lose to the GAF crew? Didn't Brad always lose at DotA? Is it because he hates GAF and that made it hurt all the more.

Danielsan

Just finished the Pathfinder video. Vinny proves times and time again that there just is no way not to love the guy. Lost it at V Bomb climbing the moss and dropping the statue arm.

Where are you guys getting this "Brad hates DOTA" idea from?

Just because he doesn't talk about it as much doesn't mean he hates it or stopped playing, right?

fleck0

Where are you guys getting this "Brad hates DOTA" idea from?

Just because he doesn't talk about it as much doesn't mean he hates it or stopped playing, right?

Brad had his soul crushed with that losing streak, pretty standard DOTA fare. I'll bet he returns to it with the next patch.

I scanned it. Lots of reviews saying it is the best yet with gfx and mechanics but not much about the story. Seems to at least start with the same old "rise to the top of the trainer league" I have played before.

You can make a really good pokemon game - all the main franchise games seem to score highly - and still not be for me.

First review said how disappointed he was that is was so much easier than past games - and then gave it 10/10.

Aye, I don't think this one (or any really) will be for you. Which is perfectly fine, of course.

Jamie OD

Watching the Pathfinder video now. The fan artists are going to have a field day drawing the crew's guild based on Vinny's choice of miniatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom