• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerned

Banned
Not sure I understand the argument about the GOTY posting order. Can't you just listen to the podcast all the way through before looking at the text feature or watching the video? We always figured it was silly to hold back any of the content, once the winners are out there in any form.

My only issue with it is that, if I remember correctly, the video thumbnails spoiled the major category winners, so I need to avoid the site if I want to listen to the podcast without knowing the outcome of the discussion. Since there is other content this week that I'd like to see as it goes up (personal lists, guest lists, etc.), this is sort of a bummer.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Not sure I understand the argument about the GOTY posting order. Can't you just listen to the podcast all the way through before looking at the text feature or watching the video? We always figured it was silly to hold back any of the content, once the winners are out there in any form.

Content is Content, nomnomnom.

Just wish it didn't come out right at noon, cause of actual christmas work lunch, but it's all good.

Tan

My only issue with it is that, if I remember correctly, the video thumbnails spoiled the major category winners, so I need to avoid the site if I want to listen to the podcast without knowing the outcome of the discussion. Since there is other content this week that I'd like to see as it goes up (personal lists, guest lists, etc.), this is sort of a bummer.

Nope, that would be crazy.

I think the one person was just bummed there wasn't anything to listen to until later in the day. With stuff being staggered we'd maybe have the podcast to listen to earlier in the day. I saw it as more whining about it being released later in the day rather than how the stuff is released in general.

Us work podcast listeners(at least myself) will probably be a day behind all week. Nothing really that big of a deal though.

Nestunt

Give me all the podcasts today and the videos and texts later!!!!!

ok, Im kiddin. 10 hours is an overdose, it has to be savored

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
I think the one person was just bummed there wasn't anything to listen to until later in the day. With stuff being staggered we'd maybe have the podcast to listen to earlier in the day. I saw it as more whining about it being released later in the day rather than how the stuff is released in general.

Us work podcast listeners(at least myself) will probably be a day behind all week. Nothing really that big of a deal though.

Our audience is evenly distributed enough around the country/world that unfortunately some time zones are always gonna get boned on posting times. I'm just thankful people care enough about our stuff to wish it was going up earlier.

Kerned

Banned

You are linking to the video pages, but I am fairly sure on the main page last year, the thumbnails were spoilery. For example, the thumbnail for the Day 5 video was an image of XCOM, I am almost certain. I could be wrong. Either way it's easy enough for me to avoid the page until I listen to the podcast, which I do as soon as it goes up, so it's certainly not the end of the world.

MNC

Listening to GOTY 2011 podcasts I got spoiled on LA Noire ending; which I don't really mind. But is there any way to be prepared on the games they'll discuss for 2013? Because there sure are a lot of games I still need to play from this year!

Our audience is evenly distributed enough around the country/world that unfortunately some time zones are always gonna get boned on posting times. I'm just thankful people care enough about our stuff to wish it was going up earlier.

Perfectly understandable. Just minor whining gearing up for the more serious whining after the contents release.

Listening to GOTY 2011 podcasts I got spoiled on LA Noire ending; which I don't really mind. But is there any way to be prepared on the games they'll discuss for 2013? Because there sure are a lot of games I still need to play from this year!

They usually talk about their list of nominations before they narrow it down and usually say the game before going deep into spoilers. I'd just listen intently and then skip ahead a bit when it's questionable. I did it with Walking Dead last year pretty easily.

LackingSaint

Neo Member

Yep, that's absolutely what I was trying to get across; it's not so much i'd want you to delay the articles as it is i'm just sort of bummed I couldn't listen to the podcast earlier in the day. Like I said in my original post though, it's a pretty minor nitpick.

Fox318

Does your homeland Australia get priority?

I just want to know what forms of torture you used on Jeff to get him to agree to put Brothers in the top 10.

jmood88

There has been a ton of amazing content this year, but when there is a lull, you really feel it. When you subscribe you kinda expect that level of content all the time. Maybe that is unreasonable with the amount of staff they have and the other work they have to do, but it just comes with the territory.

Well, at least you're somewhat aware that your complaint is unreasonable.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'm looking forward to seeing how Vinny tackles Gwyn.
If he realises he can parry his attacks, the fight is actually quite simple, especially with a high damage character like Vinny's

Sulik2

So how salty did this years discussion get?

MonsterDunk

Giant Bomb eSports Editor
I don't get why they release everything at the same time at 1pm (EST) since there's clearly an order you should be consuming that stuff, they could spread it out a bit over the day.

Basically I'm working this morning and I'm bored.

If we don't do it this way, then the comments of the podcast and various message board posts just become mindless lists of categories and winners, effectively "spoiling" things for people who care about the awards.

So we just sort of spoil it ourselves before anyone else can and let people consume whatever they want in whatever order they want. Player choice, moral implications, it's very big with the kids.

Megasoum

Banned
If we don't do it this way, then the comments of the podcast and various message board posts just become mindless lists of categories and winners, effectively "spoiling" things for people who care about the awards.

So we just sort of spoil it ourselves before anyone else can and let people consume whatever they want in whatever order they want. Player choice, moral implications, it's very big with the kids.

Fair enough, thanks the answer Jeff.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh thats fuckin' awesome. I still have a good 6 months on my sub though.

FStop7

Banned
Drew's list lacks Revengeance.

That game's gonna get screwed in general because it came out so early in the year, isn't it?

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Jeez, it's crazy how dismissive Jeff was of DmC for Best Graphics. That game looks AMAZING, and the art design is constantly changing up from level-to-level in a really interesting way (YO, ONE LEVEL IS SET INSIDE OF A NEWS BROADCAST).

Jintor

Jeez, it's crazy how dismissive Jeff was of DmC for Best Graphics. That game looks AMAZING, and the art design is constantly changing up from level-to-level in a really interesting way (YO, ONE LEVEL IS SET INSIDE OF A NEWS BROADCAST).

that level's look was radical. (though the level design was pretty much a goddamn corridor, iirc)

LackingSaint

Neo Member
that level's look was radical. (though the level design was pretty much a goddamn corridor, iirc)

In general yeah the critical path was always fairly straight, but there were so many hidden crevices I never managed to discover I have to give props to the game for. I just remember constantly finishing levels thinking i'd done it all and then getting like a 30% Exploration rating.

I think if anything is speaks to how good the art design and graphics are that the main path is almost always a straight line, but it still always feels varied and interesting.

Jintor

Well, a straight line is pretty much standard for those kinds of games.

I barely remember anything from DmC though besides the giant fox news head. And the demon announcer. It just didn't make much of an impression.

Limit

Best boss fight that I have played this year happens in that level. Amazingly creative. The night club level wasn't shabby either.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Well, a straight line is pretty much standard for those kinds of games.

I barely remember anything from DmC though besides the giant fox news head. And the demon announcer. It just didn't make much of an impression.

The night-club level that transforms into a huge glorious soundwave? The level where you climb up a tower by jumping into a river and then actually climbing down from the bottom of the reflection of the tower to get to the top, while rain falls upwards around you? The final level where the level transforms into chalkboard notes to denote which direction you should go? Man, there's so much great-looking stuff in that game!

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Any guesses who the mystery Top 10 writer is gonna be? The guy they said they didn't expect to hear back from.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Any guesses who the mystery Top 10 writer is gonna be? The guy they said they didn't expect to hear back from.

John Carpenter. I thought it was on the schedule for a little bit. It was a top 6, though.

Barnett's list (podcast) was weird. I can't remember a single thing from the 40 minutes apart from his son playing on PC now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom