• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't read Dan Teasdale's top 10 if you are super sensitive about Brothers spoilers.

I am not even that hot on Brothers but it is a shame that people are shitting on it (e.g. Jeff, Teasdale) just to troll Brad. Does a disservice to the people who made it.

Ergh, I skimmed through it (ironic considering what I'm about to say) and I think the joke might have been funny had he not admitted to only playing 10 minutes of the demo. Shitting on a game you've essentially not even played it dumb, even in service of a joke. Especially shitty to post spoilers about it too in that case.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, eesh. Dan's list comes off as petty over making a joke, admits to not even playing more than the demo yet spoils key points showing he likely just watched the game or something.

I really don't care about Brothers and have no desire to ever play it, I just think that Dan guy pushed the joke too hard in his list and ended up just coming off as an ass.

popo

I don't mind Jeff shitting on it in the podcasts because it seems like he honestly didn't care for the game, but I think Dan Teasdale's list did the unthinkable and killed the "10 better games than Brothers" joke for me.

There are lots of games Jeff is not in to though. I remember a bombcast a while back when he was just naming random games that were "better than brothers" to annoy Brad. Super funny, not if I had been involved in making that game though.

I guess he does the same for dota but Valve are a much bigger target who already have a wildly successful game.

Well, I think Dan's list is a good way to cap off the Brother's jokes. So there.

That's okay. I an not afraid of people having differing opinions. This isn't the GOTY thread :D

so1337

Can't wait for Brad's top ten where Brothers is every entry except for dota.

Wait.

If dota is Brads #1...

We get to watch some dota when they make the video.

Awesome.

Chuck

Still without luck
So I just reinstalled windows, and for some reason now when I play 60fps gb videos with the html 5 player, the video gets really choppy when I go fullscreen. Anyone know why this would be?

Dany

Banned
Are they going to discount subscriptions? Did they for thanksgiving? They usually do for both turkey day and christmas.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
It bothers me when someone calls the Ace Attorney games a visual novel, even if it's reminiscent of those games, because it suggests that it's more simplistic than it is.

ehhhhhhh...they're pretty simplistic. Granted I've only played the first one and T&T, but they were really more visual novel than adventure game. Like a 75%/25% split.

FluxWaveZ

ehhhhhhh...they're pretty simplistic. Granted I've only played the first one and T&T, but they were really more visual novel than adventure game. Like a 75%/25% split.

Is it because of the first-person perspective instead of a third-person perspective? If so, then would it make the AAI spin-off an adventure game instead? And if that's the case, is Telltale's The Walking Dead more of a visual novel than an adventure game?

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Is it because of the first-person perspective instead of a third-person perspective? If so, then would it make the AAI spin-off an adventure game instead? And if that's the case, is Telltale's The Walking Dead more of a visual novel than an adventure game?

In my opinion? Absolutely.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Interesting. Classifying genres isn't something I think about too much, but I've always thought of a visual novel as a game:

- Played in a first-person perspective.
- With no fail states, only endings.
- With a limited amount of puzzles or none at all.
- Based around dialogue choices and with a whole lot of internal monologue.

Oh I still think visual novels are "games". The "non-game" classification that gets thrown around is one of my pet peeves. If you interact with the software resulting in progression for entertainment purposes, it's a video game.

The Ace Attorney games I've played fall more into the 'visual novel' category primarily due to the minimal direct control involved in the game's progression.

chogidogs

tumblr_myfmkxjAnS1qe4qeqo1_1280.jpg

We should start a fan club. Jeff could be our leader.

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/71233176510/amazon-japan-aint-playing-when-it-comes-to

Patryn

Jeff just tweeted about Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition. Batten down the hatches, people. We're about to hit turbulence.

This is why I love the internet. Already bought one album/EP because of that post and on the verge of buying a couple more. None of this stuff is even related to games but I wouldn't have discovered it otherwise.

Jintor

I swear I saw a link for a youtube cut of Jeff ranting about Simcity on Day 3 somewhere around, anyone got it handy? Can't find it on the youtubes

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Did Brad ever talk about why he doesn't care for Starcraft any more? Just DOTA took over or what?

If you watch todays video he mentions it.

Something about lacking a social aspect in Starcraft and every loss is extra crushing because all the responsibility is on yourself.

At least in Dota when your team loses you can all share the pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom