• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Been re-listening to all the bombcasts at work for the last few weeks, just got to the 10-13-2009 one with Johnny V and Adam Boyze, damn if this isn't the best bombcast they have done (if not the best it's up there)

If you watch todays video he mentions it.

Something about lacking a social aspect in Starcraft and every loss is extra crushing because all the responsibility is on yourself.

At least in Dota when your team loses you can all share the pain

Ah saw that. Just wondered if he expanded anywhere else. Oh well.

sixghost

If you watch todays video he mentions it.

Something about lacking a social aspect in Starcraft and every loss is extra crushing because all the responsibility is on yourself.

At least in Dota when your team loses you can all share the pain

The lack of social features in SC2 bnet really hurt it in that respect. Somehow the SC1 bnet from fucking 1998 did a better job of creating communities. There was something really depressing about grinding away on ladder matches and not even having a chat channel to come back to.

Zaph

The lack of social features in SC2 bnet really hurt it in that respect. Somehow the SC1 bnet from fucking 1998 did a better job of creating communities. There was something really depressing about grinding away on ladder matches and not even having a chat channel to come back to.
But isn't that Blizzard in a nutshell for the last few years? They'll update and improve a sequel in almost every way while simultaneously forgetting what some of the original appeal was.

I mean, it took them over a year to realise maybe it wasn't a great idea to release a loot lust game where the gold you accumulated in a play session buys better loot than anything you found in the same session.

Draft

SC1 b.net is the wild west and simply not suitable for the kind of monetization environment that modern day ActiBlizzard envisions for their games.

Tragicomically Blizz completely fucked up all SC2 monetization so not only is b.net 2.0 a shiny, crippled wasteland, it's not even generating any revenue on the sale of maps and total conversions (as if it ever was going to...)

inky

What is it?
"Not available in your region"

Pac-Man and the Ghostly Shithouse, I think. Unavailable for me too.

Hdu2aWU.jpg

Pac is back in an all-new experience for a whole new generation of fans. Featuring an original storyline inspired by the show as well as all the charming characters from the highly anticipated PAC-MAN and the Ghostly Adventures animated series created and produced by Avi Arad, acclaimed director and founder of Marvel Studios.

Pac and his 2 best friends, Spiral and Cylindria, rise to the challenge of protecting their home, all the while fighting for: Friendship, Freedom and the Future!

Kz3VVlg.png

It actually looks neat from the video/screens. In the vein of Mario 64.

Dunno if it's been discussed, but I'm wondering if they changed their GOTY video plans at some point or had more stuff? Specifically remembering a picture someone posted on twitter of Alexis in a waistcoat and such, but he wasn't in any the videos as far as I recall? Could be a just blinked and missed it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Don't want to enter the GOTY thread. Do they spoil Gone Home and Brothers in their discussions? Timestamps, maybe?

eot

Banned
I don't think they spoiled much of anything in this one, they spent most of their time on the lower part of the list and the games that didn't make it.

(I mean the last podcast specifically)

Don't want to enter the GOTY thread. Do they spoil Gone Home and Brothers in their discussions? Timestamps, maybe?

They stated right at the start of the first podcast at least to expect that every game on every list could concievably have spoilers mentioned without warning or restraint. Tread carefully.

Brothers, definitely. Gone Home I believe does have its ending spoiled at one point but it can be pretty easily skipped over if you get timestamps of when it is. They also bring up a pretty non-essential moment for Best Moment that gets discarded quickly.

Other than those two games, Bioshock Infinite, and The Last of Us (kinda), very little actually gets spoiled.

Has Jeff Green found a job yet ? I want to believe that there's still a chance he might be hired at Giant Bomb. Just imagine him doing Quicklooks with Vinny, or them playing Dark Souls in coop.

Oh god. The Internet would not be able to sustain such awesomeness.

ev0

Has Jeff Green found a job yet ? I want to believe that there's still a chance he might be hired at Giant Bomb. Just imagine him doing Quicklooks with Vinny, or them playing Dark Souls in coop.

Oh god. The Internet would not be able to sustain such awesomeness.

On his Dark Souls live streams he specifically said no GB because theres no spot for him. Which also kinda sucks in general for GB getting new staff to help out. C'mon CBS

Mr. F

Banned
Now that the GOTY podcasts and lists are out, I suppose that's the end of GB's 2013 content. Crazy year to say the least. It's probably beating it into the ground or rude to pry after several other staff and guest contributors had brief words to say about Ryan, but I'm kind of bummed we never heard anything more from Jeff after the fact. But then perhaps there isn't much more that needs to be said.

In any case, I'm happy to see 2013 go. I hope 2014 is better to the crew, they certainly deserve it.

Jintor

I'll probably end up relistening to the Wake Podcast at some point, and then maybe I can send off Ryan with the year, in my head.

Patryn

I wonder if they're going to be in the office before New Years. Last year they did the podcast at home via Skype, right?
They specifically said in the last regular podcast that they wouldn't be back until 2014, but it sounded like they may have recorded something for this week.

Gav47

They specifically said in the last regular podcast that they wouldn't be back until 2014, but it sounded like they may have recorded something for this week.

They said they wouldn't miss a Tuesday, so yeah they must have something planned.

They better, or it would be the first week that they would have missed ! Ryan would be pissed if he knew.

popo

I usually like Alex - lets put that out there first - but Alex haters must have had a field day on that last GOTY podcast.

It is usually Brad that likes to talk in circles and then sulks if he doesn't win an argument but Alex was such a whiny little bitch that I think even Brad had had enough. The sites top ten is always going to be a mess of compromise and trade offs, fighting to get all ten to match your personal list is never going to happen.

Although Brad did come back strong with his arguments about Dota 2 being the most innovative game of the year. Classic delusional Brad He would make a great cult leader.

Also : random thoughts.

That Game of the Generation thing is never going to happen. Not in this format anyway. Can you imagine how long it would take to consider all those games?

What happened to Volgarr? Brad seemed to be enjoying it would I didn't hear it mentioned. Did they just forget?

They said they wouldn't miss a Tuesday, so yeah they must have something planned.

I believe Jeff said he had something recorded. I though it would be the Paul Barnett stuff but obviously not. That year where Jeff called everyone on skype from his bedroom was great (last year?).

Ketch

On his Dark Souls live streams he specifically said no GB because theres no spot for him. Which also kinda sucks in general for GB getting new staff to help out. C'mon CBS

Man, that does suck. Seems like they're only hiring behind the scenes guys.... which is cool, but C'MON! It's Jeff Green! His nickname is fricken BLACK DRAGON. It doesn't get anymore bad ass then that.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I usually like Alex - lets put that out there first - but Alex haters must have had a field day on that last GOTY podcast.

It is usually Brad that likes to talk in circles and then sulks if he doesn't win an argument but Alex was such a whiny little bitch that I think even Brad had had enough. The sites top ten is always going to be a mess of compromise and trade offs, fighting to get all ten to match your personal list is never going to happen.

Alex didn't come off whiny to me at all.

kvk1

Although Brad did come back strong with his arguments about Dota 2 being the most innovative game of the year. Classic delusional Brad He would make a great cult leader.

Can you explain the delusional aspects of what he said? Genuinely curious. Most of the criticisms against the innovative aspects of Dota 2 came from people who never played it, and admitted they never will. Weird, but fair enough.

But consequently, this means they would never be aware of anything they didn't see and/or experience outside of watching other people playing the game; which is where I believe a bulk of Brad's argument of innovation was based on.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
There really should be some sort of rule that says all eligible games need to have been played substantially by at least half of the voters.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Alex was probably frustrated at having to do it all over Skype, this kind of conversation is best handled face to face. I could hear a little agitation but I think it's because the Skype thing was marginalizing him.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I thought Alex was fine, Brad came off as being the difficult one on the last podcast, still have to listen to day 2, 3 and 4 though.

Yeah Brad was really trying to bully his way through the list and seemed to just say whatever negative thing about a game he could come up with - regardless of if it was true or not.

Like how he kept trying to keep Bioshock from moving up because "Yeah you'll get no support for that none of us feel strongly for that game anymore" and then eventually everyone says "Nah dude, I still think it's a pretty damned great game."

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Brad will say whatever when he's arguing for GOTY stuff. He goes to war in that room, lol

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I thought Alex was fine, Brad came off as being the difficult one on the last podcast, still have to listen to day 2, 3 and 4 though.

Lol. You don't say. Brad the difficult one on GOTY day? Weird.

Vinny needs to lay off the "All these games are great, we are just being picky line". He has been saying that constantly for five years now.

Nexas

Vinny needs to lay off the "All these games are great, we are just being picky line". He has been saying that constantly for five years now.

Well it is true. If these podcasts were someones first exposure to GiantBomb they would think that they hate almost every game on these lists.

Haunted

I like that when they were at an impasse to pick the toplist they just ganged up on the two games Alex was championing.

Sounds like some of you folks are having a hard time facing the reality of how the game's press chooses GOTY stuff

I wonder what it would be like if huge sites like IGN or GameSpot made all of their deliberations public like this. You think there's some questionable business happening here, imagine the insanity of a room of like 10-15 people trying to come to consensus.

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
Now that the GOTY podcasts and lists are out, I suppose that's the end of GB's 2013 content. Crazy year to say the least. It's probably beating it into the ground or rude to pry after several other staff and guest contributors had brief words to say about Ryan, but I'm kind of bummed we never heard anything more from Jeff after the fact. But then perhaps there isn't much more that needs to be said.

In any case, I'm happy to see 2013 go. I hope 2014 is better to the crew, they certainly deserve it.

Im glad I am not the only one.... I was wondering about this too... I dont mean in the vein of jeff specifically speaking about it but maybe a small article or mention somewhere from the staff. Having said that I dont claim to know best how to acknowledge it.

FluxWaveZ

Im glad I am not the only one.... I was wondering about this too... I dont mean in the vein of jeff specifically speaking about it but maybe a small article or mention somewhere from the staff. Having said that I dont claim to know best how to acknowledge it.

He's gone. How much longer is it necessary to dwell on that fact?

Kerned

Banned

What is there to acknowledge or mention? A terrible and unexpected tragedy happened. It's the worst fucking situation. Everyone is probably trying their best to move on (which has got to be very tough) and there doesn't need to be any further public conversation about it. The whole thing has got to be more awful for them than anyone could imagine, and the community should respect whatever they choose to say or not say about it going forward.

kvk1

What is there to acknowledge or mention? A terrible and unexpected tragedy happened. It's the worst fucking situation. Everyone is probably trying their best to move on (which has got to be very tough) and there doesn't need to be any further public conversation about it. The whole thing has got to be more awful for them than anyone could imagine, and the community should respect whatever they choose to say or not say about it going forward.

Well said.

Oh trust me I know how Brad is on GOTY stuff, he was lucky to get Dota 2 on the list as it is, he should have counted his blessings and stop trying to shit on everyone else picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom