• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
What is there to acknowledge or mention? A terrible and unexpected tragedy happened. It's the worst fucking situation. Everyone is probably trying their best to move on (which has got to be very tough) and there doesn't need to be any further public conversation about it. The whole thing has got to be more awful for them than anyone could imagine, and the community should respect whatever they choose to say or not say about it going forward.

Further, can't you just tell that it still looms over Jeff? Watch the last Jar Time. It's painful to see him go into philosophizing and recalling the year.

It's the part of the site that is truly impossible to reconcile. They provide a very large, deep window into their personalities and lives for the benefit of the entertainment and community, but with that comes problems when life happens and continues its march. Jeff is obviously no where near over what's happened and likely won't be for a long time to come, I think the best thing we can do is respect whatever he and the rest of the crew decide to say or NOT say regarding the event.

With that being said, I still get blue watching old content. At least Ryan Davis will not be forgotten.

Mechazawa

I wonder what it would be like if huge sites like IGN or GameSpot made all of their deliberations public like this. You think there's some questionable business happening here, imagine the insanity of a room of like 10-15 people trying to come to consensus.

Jeff mentioned on his Tumblr that it used be this format but 4x as large in the old Gamespot days.

So these days, they probably just put it to a vote between everyone.

Mr. F

Banned
Just remembered I had completely missed the Volgarr premium videos back when they were posted. Worth checking out?

What is there to acknowledge or mention? A terrible and unexpected tragedy happened. It's the worst fucking situation. Everyone is probably trying their best to move on (which has got to be very tough) and there doesn't need to be any further public conversation about it. The whole thing has got to be more awful for them than anyone could imagine, and the community should respect whatever they choose to say or not say about it going forward.

Further, can't you just tell that it still looms over Jeff? Watch the last Jar Time. It's painful to see him go into philosophizing and recalling the year.

It's the part of the site that is truly impossible to reconcile. They provide a very large, deep window into their personalities and lives for the benefit of the entertainment and community, but with that comes problems when life happens and continues its march. Jeff is obviously no where near over what's happened and likely won't be for a long time to come, I think the best thing we can do is respect whatever he and the rest of the crew decide to say or NOT say regarding the event.

With that being said, I still get blue watching old content. At least Ryan Davis will not be forgotten.

I agree on the points made in both posts, and my initial wondering wasn't meant to pry further or intended from a position of disrespect. Thinking back I had just remembered Jeff saying that he would have something to write on the matter eventually, but not then at the time.

Zoggy

I usually like Alex - lets put that out there first - but Alex haters must have had a field day on that last GOTY podcast.

It is usually Brad that likes to talk in circles and then sulks if he doesn't win an argument but Alex was such a whiny little bitch that I think even Brad had had enough. The sites top ten is always going to be a mess of compromise and trade offs, fighting to get all ten to match your personal list is never going to happen.

Although Brad did come back strong with his arguments about Dota 2 being the most innovative game of the year. Classic delusional Brad He would make a great cult leader.

Also : random thoughts.

That Game of the Generation thing is never going to happen. Not in this format anyway. Can you imagine how long it would take to consider all those games?

i didn't think so.

this was the first time alex was there arguing for the GOTY podcasts so he wasn't familiar with all the compromises, plus the fact that he was on skype he probably felt marginalized. regardless of his opinions(i didn't like mario 3d world that much and most of the games he was championing), he backed them up pretty well.

but yeah, doing a GOTG is never going to happen, and i'm glad.

1) because GOTG is pretty stupid.

2) these guys have terrible memories, they sometimes forget games that come out like 6 months ago. i remember hearing "bioshock infinite, did that come out this year? oh man" back when the topic of GOTY was brought up on a podcast or something.

This GOTG is really happening? when?

7IryueBl.png

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member

As I said, I am not looking for anyone to speak on it, and I am not looking for a public conversation. My thought was a picture or a rehash of one of the ryan videos they put up shortly after the event. For example the article carrie put up with her top 10, I just thought there might have been something similar done by the main site. Anyway, obviously didnt happen so moving on.

i didn't think so.

this was the first time alex was there arguing for the GOTY podcasts so he wasn't familiar with all the compromises, plus the fact that he was on skype he probably felt marginalized. regardless of his opinions(i didn't like mario 3d world that much and most of the games he was championing), he backed them up pretty well.

but yeah, doing a GOTG is never going to happen, and i'm glad.

1) because GOTG is pretty stupid.

2) these guys have terrible memories, they sometimes forget games that come out like 6 months ago. i remember hearing "bioshock infinite, did that come out this year? oh man" back when the topic of GOTY was brought up on a podcast or something.

Probably Brad, who sadly, is simply a bit dim.

COD4 is probably the game of the generation or at the very least the game I enjoyed the most at the time as a total package.

Shame that franchise went off the deep end and that gameplay formula copied to death

popo

I wonder what it would be like if huge sites like IGN or GameSpot made all of their deliberations public like this. You think there's some questionable business happening here, imagine the insanity of a room of like 10-15 people trying to come to consensus.

I suspect they just have rounds of voting rather than a big long discussion. Maybe senior editors have greater weight but it is generally democratic. I think I remember that EGM did similar voting to this, it was mentioned a few times on 1up podcasts.

COD4 is probably the game of the generation or at the very least the game I enjoyed the most at the time as a total package.

Shame that franchise went off the deep end and that gameplay formula copied to death

Considering that a) it was a damn good game and b) it had a MASSIVE impact on the entire industry, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Considering that a) it was a damn good game and b) it had a MASSIVE impact on the entire industry, I'm inclined to agree with you.

I think it's either CoD 4: MW or World of Warcraft (does this count as last-gen(?), it came out in '04) who should take that spot.

And I haven't even touched a single minute of WoW, but I can see why it could be GotG.

fleck0

I think it's either CoD 4: MW or World of Warcraft (does this count as last-gen(?), it came out in '04) who should take that spot.

And I haven't even touched a single minute of WoW, but I can see why it could be GotG.

Alright you've convinced me GOTG won't happen because it's too crazy.

WoW vs CoD vs Bejeweled vs Dota vs Dark Souls

Zaph

Yeah, something like GOTG can't realistically be based on taste or personal experience for it to be meaningful in any way.

It has to be couched in its impact on the industry itself, and by that metric it's really hard to suggest anything other than COD4.

but srsly, it's p4

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
They already had the GOTG discussion...Burnout Paradise and Red Dead Redemption.

It was Minecraft.

Yeah, something like GOTG can't realistically be based on taste or personal experience for it to be meaningful in any way.

It has to be couched in its impact on the industry itself, and by that metric it's really hard to suggest anything other than COD4.

but srsly, it's p4

That was Gen 6.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, starting play brothers on my pc and this game has the best graphics since world of warcraft. FUUUUUUCK this shit is gorgeous.

Finally caught up on GOTY. The two best things.

1. The intros of the recap videos. They were by far the best part of the videos, it was awesome to see Vinny and Drew show off just how great they are when they are given time to produce something.

2. Patrick repping the true goty Papers, Please hard. He stood strong in the face of Brad's constant villainous attempts to remove it from the list.

FStop7

Banned
The best part of Achron was Vinny trying to describe it to Jeff and Ryan the next bombcast and Jeff building louder and louder "SHUT IT SHUT THE FUCK STOP NOW" as his mind melted.

The core concept of that game was really awesome and I hope some brilliant dev figures out how to make it really work.

Jintor

Just finished Brothers. Seriously, Brad? Seriously? Christ. Now I know how all those people who didn't 'get' Gone Home felt, I guess.

Looked god damned gorgeous though, I'll give it that.

justjim89

Just started watching the UF where Bioforge is first played... and again I kinda want to buy this game from GOG. Holy shit this is entertaining to watch.

Also, Jeff is getting rather salty on tumblr and it's glorious.

anonymous asked:

"When Dota 2 was first announced, everyone was sort taken aback, and had a bad taste in their mouth." The person who said this doesn't know what they're talking about, especially considering that Valve actually hired the developer of the original Dota mod.

jeffgerstmann answered:

THANKS TO ALL WHO FELT THE NEED TO CORRECT THAT ANON’S OBVIOUS MISTAKES INSTEAD OF SILENTLY THINKING “WELL THAT PERSON DOESN’T KNOW WHAT THE HECK THEY’RE TALKING ABOUT” AND MOVING ON, YOU’RE ALL WINNERS OF THE TUMBLR OMBUDSMEN 2013 AWARD

IT LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE ON THE VERGE OF HYPERVENTILATION AND IT SAYS “UM, ACTUALLLLYYYYY” ON IT IT’S REALLY NICE

Aaron

I feel if Jeff scaled the wall, he would be more into to Dota 2 than Brad. It's an intensely mechanical game, which is right up his street.

demidar

I feel if Jeff scaled the wall, he would be more into to Dota 2 than Brad. It's an intensely mechanical game, which is right up his street.

He'd be a dick and first pick Lifestealer or Riki all the time.

For those that don't know, Riki is permanently invisible.

OMG Aero

Just finished Brothers. Seriously, Brad? Seriously? Christ. Now I know how all those people who didn't 'get' Gone Home felt, I guess.
I know right, I bought Brothers and played through it last week and I don't get what any of them saw in it. The actual game part isn't that good and the ending is completely predictable and didn't have any emotional impact on me at all.
I find it especially baffling how
use right trigger to get past obstacles only the older brother could get past even though he's dead (because I guess the younger brother learnt along the way or is channelling his brother's spirit or whatever)
won best moment or sequence and had such a big impact when they were talking about it on the podcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom