• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Finally catching up on all their GOTY stuff. They released so much during christmas, i was mostly with family and watching Jeff Green die in Dark Souls.

popo

Oh great, more amateur dark souls streams. Vinny has the charisma, Green has the bewilderment, I think we are covered without seeing Brad and Pat have a go.

I guess if they are going to play it, then they might as well stream it though, someone is bound to watch it. I don't think it is necessary to give basic hints and tips in here - just direct them to the Jeff Green thrsad where it has all been said before and argued to death too.

UbCLm16.png

McLargepants

Neo Member
Oh great, more amateur dark souls streams. Vinny has the charisma, Green has the bewilderment, I think we are covered without seeing Brad and Pat have a go.

I guess if they are going to play it, then they might as well stream it though, someone is bound to watch it. I don't think it is necessary to give basic hints and tips in here - just direct them to the Jeff Green thrsad where it has all been said before and argued to death too.

Well considering it's not on the site, and won't be on the site, and is just on Patrick's personal stream, I wouldn't get too worked up over it. Though he did mention he wanted to start doing some Spelunky videos, so you can look forward to that.

FStop7

Banned

Brad agreed to a 25 hour stream as an Extra Life stretch goal and Patrick said he'd be playing Dark Souls over the winter.

popo

Well considering it's not on the site, and won't be on the site, and is just on Patrick's personal stream, I wouldn't get too worked up over it. Though he did mention he wanted to start doing some Spelunky videos, so you can look forward to that.

No sure, you always have the option of not watching, even if it does go on the main site. I was just anticipating all the "advice" that is posted when someone starts a DS run, it is important that they "play it properly" e.g. The shit that kicked off when Pat not only had the nerve to choose master key but also inquired about Drake Sword on twitter.

Dark Souls superfans are the fucking worst is basically what I am saying. Even worse than Metal Gear and Kingdom Hearts superfans :p

Brad agreed to a 25 hour stream as an Extra Life stretch goal and Patrick said he'd be playing Dark Souls over the winter.

I an sure Brad will get to it as soon as he has caught up on the Assassins Creed games he missed.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I an sure Brad will get to it as soon as he has caught up on the Assassins Creed games he missed.
You seem very bitter about something. I hope you see the difference between playing 5 (very similar) games for a bet with the guys and him playing one game as a stretch goal for charity.

Serra

Yeah, im gonna say Brad is never gonna play it again unless Patrick really gets into it (I doubt it) or the entire crew will sit in on the final Load Our Last Souls and its fantastic.

popo

You sound like a bitter and obsessed man.

You seem very bitter about something. I hope you see the difference between playing 5 (very similar) games for a bet with the guys and him playing one game as a stretch goal for charity.

Wut? Called a joke. It was a running gag on the bombcast for a while. A gentle ribbing at best about his empty promises made in the heat of the moment.

Also, Brad is never playing 24 hours of Dark Souls.

Xater

Wut? Called a joke. It was a running gag on the bombcast for a while. A gentle ribbing at best about his empty promises made in the heat of the moment.

Also, Brad is never playing 24 hours of Dark Souls.

Wasn't it like a stretch goal during the charity stream. Would be shitty to break his promise.

I think I am - lets edit!

Anyway, I don't really like the idea of a Kickstarter for articles though. Seems like forcing yourself into a corner, as if you write anything controversial or against the grain you are going to annoy donators Seems like a lose/lose situation - unless you are mirroring people own opinion back at them!

So I first subscribed to GB in April or May, and I've been watching their earlier subscriber videos lately. The first Unprofessional Fridays are amazing; Lego Island, Dog's Life, Jeff reading Space Jam... Hopefully Jeff's expansion plans come to fruition and they can relax a bit again.

daydream

Banned
So I first subscribed to GB in April or May, and I've been watching their earlier subscriber videos lately. The first Unprofessional Fridays are amazing; Lego Island, Dog's Life, Jeff reading Space Jam... Hopefully Jeff's expansion plans come to fruition and they can relax a bit again.

Lego Island has not been topped so far. Kills me everytime.

FHIZ

Lego Island has not been topped so far. Kills me everytime.

I don't know... I think Dog's Life may have. The reactions when they first had the dog take a shit, then carry around in its mouth had me literally gasping for air, especially Ryan's, if I remember correctly.

popo

That patreon site is a bit different from kickstarter. It is more explicitly a donation in the hope that the "artist" will do something worthwhile with the money. Their stated interests in writing or whatever aligns with your own, but it is not commercially viable. Hence the name - like old fashioned patronage of the arts.

demidar

Anyway, I don't really like the idea of a Kickstarter for articles though. Seems like forcing yourself into a corner, as if you write anything controversial or against the grain you are going to annoy donators Seems like a lose/lose situation - unless you are mirroring people own opinion back at them!

One of the things I don't like about Kickstarter (or similar types of funding) is that if a product gets way more money than it needs, it doesn't necessarily mean that the product will be used well. It might be beyond the creator's skill, connections, manpower or time to create a product that could justify the extra money, even factoring in stretch goals (or if a product isn't conducive to stretch goals).

For example, an indie filmmaker that wants $2,000 for buying equipment and travel expenses gets $35,000, what do they do with the extra $33,000 since it's so grossly beyond the original scope of the product? Then there is immense pressure to live up to the funding and that could cause the initial vision to be lost due to feature creep or the creator would mishandle the money somehow.

I rewatched the TNT with Dave Lang last night where they go through a bunch of old games he developed and talk about how it was to develop for old platforms. Really hope they find more devs to do stuff like that with, it's super interesting to hear the stories behind random games.

FStop7

Banned
One of the things I don't like about Kickstarter (or similar types of funding) is that if a product gets way more money than it needs, it doesn't necessarily mean that the product will be used well. It might be beyond the creator's skill, connections, manpower or time to create a product that could justify the extra money, even factoring in stretch goals (or if a product isn't conducive to stretch goals).

For example, an indie filmmaker that wants $2,000 for buying equipment and travel expenses gets $35,000, what do they do with the extra $33,000 since it's so grossly beyond the original scope of the product? Then there is immense pressure to live up to the funding and that could cause the initial vision to be lost due to feature creep or the creator would mishandle the money somehow.

What seems to be happening fairly consistently is that cost overruns, delays, and expenses incurred for backer rewards end up consuming all of the excess donations and sometimes more.

popo

I rewatched the TNT with Dave Lang last night where they go through a bunch of old games he developed and talk about how it was to develop for old platforms. Really hope they find more devs to do stuff like that with, it's super interesting to hear the stories behind random games.

Would be good. Biggest problem is getting PR to sign off on it. Even when they are talking about old games and employers, there are often employee restrictions. e.g. Sony used to ban it's employees from podcasts - although they seemed to have changed the policy now. That is why you get ppl like Lang who owns the shop and Muir who works for hippies.

But if the articles are bland and boring no one will want to keep donating. Besides, if you are the type of person who get upset about what you read online you are also the type of person who wasn't going to contribute to something like this anyway

If I was looking to do something like this I would trying something closer to the Gamers With Jobs route. Have a small group of writers (not just one person), a podcast, forums, weekly articles, and an annual or semi-annual donation drive.

That said, the whole embedded journalism idea just sounds like a train wreck. The sad truth is most of the game designers probably aren't all that interesting nor is the day-to-day process of building a game. I remember parts of Building the Bastion really dragging. I'm sorry but showing me the whip animation is just... well dumb. I mean, I like Christine Love's twitter as much as the next person - but how long do you need to live with her before the maid fetish stuff gets old? Probably 6 hours. Anyone can seem fascinating when distilled down to 140 characters

Gav47

Yeah, thats one of my favourite TNTs, Brad Muir kinda had one as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom