• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Patrick playing Spelunky. Was fighting a boss (giant head statue?), dies to a spider in a pot.

Brashnir

Actually, she wrote a preview of the game based on a demo she played. If you don't want to know what happens in a pre-release demo (or the game that demo might be a part of) then you may not want to read the article about it.

Ah, character creators are always great!

I didn't read the article. I know what it was about due to the reaction to it around GAF and the rest of the internet.

But hey, if you don't want to be spoiled on any future unreleased game, don't ever open Neogaf, because the spoiler was right there in the thread title.

But don't worry, I'll never click another article written by her, and I un-followed her on Twitter as a result of that article.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
On the subject of Dark Souls, how late into the game did the first Load our Last Souls episode start? I haven't watched any of that content because Dark Souls was on my list of games that I want to keep saying until the end of time that I'll some day play, but suddenly it's become a game that I'm currently playing and loving. When I get past where the GB videos start I'd like to go back and watch some of them.

edit:

In the Spelunky quick look way back I thought Patrick boasted about beating the game.

He was boasting about progress he'd made, but I don't think it was about beating the game. He had done better than Jeff or Brad, who were both in on the video and had played the game.

Bilix

Olmec.gif

Bow before Olmec!

obonicus

Anyway, I don't really like the idea of a Kickstarter for articles though. Seems like forcing yourself into a corner, as if you write anything controversial or against the grain you are going to annoy donators Seems like a lose/lose situation - unless you are mirroring people own opinion back at them!

Well, as far as Kickstarter goes, you gave the money, you can't really get it back. Not from the creator anymore. Maybe you won't want to support them in their next endeavor if they write something you don't agree with, but that seems fair.

As others said, this is different from kickstarter. But you're right; the artist should heed his patrons if he wants continued patronage.

Asking for donations to "do journalism" sounds incredibly scummy.

This are almost exclusively op-ed pieces. They may be well-researched op-ed, but they're not 'journalism' in the investigative sense. Almost no one does that; even the in-depth pieces we get deconstructing the development of a game only happen because the publishers grant the writer access.

obonicus

But hey, if you don't want to be spoiled on any future unreleased game, don't ever open Neogaf, because the spoiler was right there in the thread title.

That scene was public knowledge weeks before she wrote the article (there was a video of it). The hullaballoo about her article wasn't her spoiling it, but her complaints about the content, and the devs' reaction to it. So in a sense, you don't have to worry, because I don't think she spoiled the actual game.

BanGy.nz

Banned
I didn't read the article. I know what it was about due to the reaction to it around GAF and the rest of the internet.

But don't worry, I'll never click another article written by her, and I un-followed her on Twitter as a result of that article.
... Are you serous?

I'll be pledging some money later when I'm not on my iPad.

kmz

Neo Member

So you lied when you said that she spoiled the game, it was in fact Neogaf which spoiled the game for you.

I'm sure she's real broken up about it.

Brashnir

That scene was public knowledge weeks before she wrote the article (there was a video of it). The hullaballoo about her article wasn't her spoiling it, but her complaints about the content, and the devs' reaction to it. So in a sense, you don't have to worry, because I don't think she spoiled the actual game.

I didn't see any of those things, because I had followed your previous advice and didn't click on preview footage of the game.

Previews are not the place for political activism. I'd change it in the final game if I was the devs, too; the scene could never possibly work in the final game after all the publicity. Viewer perception of the scene would be forever altered because the audience would associate it with the internet shitstorm rather than the content and intent of the scene itself.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Cara is good people. I wish I had money to donate.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
On the subject of Dark Souls, how late into the game did the first Load our Last Souls episode start? I haven't watched any of that content because Dark Souls was on my list of games that I want to keep saying until the end of time that I'll some day play, but suddenly it's become a game that I'm currently playing and loving. When I get past where the GB videos start I'd like to go back and watch some of them.

It started just after he got the Lordvessel. Maybe 50% done.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It started just after he got the Lordvessel. Maybe 50% done.

Ah, I've still got a ways to go. I watched the first few episodes of Jeff Green's stream over the weekend and had a blast. My new, presumably unreasonable, goal is to catch up to him to see part of it live without ruining anything for myself.

Brashnir

Ah, I've still got a ways to go. I watched the first few episodes of Jeff Green's stream over the weekend and had a blast. My new, presumably unreasonable, goal is to catch up to him to see part of it live without ruining anything for myself.

Catch up to Vinny or catch up to Jeff?

Catching up to Jeff isn't unreasonable. I had never played DS before and I caught up to him this weekend.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Catch up to Vinny or catch up to Jeff?

Catching up to Jeff isn't unreasonable. I had never played DS before and I caught up to him this weekend.

Jeff. I've gotten to the point where I just filter out the Souls videos on Giant Bomb as white noise, but I can't remember seeing one in a while. I actually thought he was done already.

Brashnir

Jeff. I've gotten to the point where I just filter out the Souls videos on Giant Bomb as white noise, but I can't remember seeing one in a while. I actually thought he was done already.

Yeah, it wouldn't take too long to catch up to Jeff. The main issue with DS, however, is that it's very free-form and you can progress in a number of directions at any given time. At the point Jeff is in the game now, he has quite a few options of places he could go. It could be entirely possible that you could roughly match his overall progress while entirely skipping some sections he's finished, and completing some areas he hasn't touched.

Cara is good people. I wish I had money to donate.

I still (personally) find it iffy. It just seems such a vague way to ask for money.

If she already had a contact set up, and (maybe) put her words in a book, I think I would feel different. I am not sure why the sale of her words in a physical object makes a big difference to me, but it does.

A well written hardback book about a specific (hopefully currently uncovered) subject would be something worthwhile - even worth a bit on Kickstarter.

She is a good writer that already contributes to many sites that allow interesting/offbeat articles. If she cannot pitch something to at least one of them, then maybe that pitch/idea is not great in the first place.

Do note that the way patronage works, she isn't paid to write - she's paid for what she's written. I'm not sure about the specifics, but reading that site it seems like you can even cancel your support before you're charged if you don't like what she's written.

obonicus

Previews are not the place for political activism. I'd change it in the final game if I was the devs, too; the scene could never possibly work in the final game after all the publicity. Viewer perception of the scene would be forever altered because the audience would associate it with the internet shitstorm rather than the content and intent of the scene itself.

I don't know if I'd call it political activism, having read the article. She didn't like it, wrote about it and her article drew attention. I mean, 'rape is shocking' or 'rape makes me uncomfortable' isn't much of a political statement. I'm not even saying I agree with her, or that you should read her articles -- I don't. Just that I don't think the Hotline Miami 2 thing is much of an issue.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yeah, it wouldn't take too long to catch up to Jeff. The main issue with DS, however, is that it's very free-form and you can progress in a number of directions at any given time. At the point Jeff is in the game now, he has quite a few options of places he could go. It could be entirely possible that you could roughly match his overall progress while entirely skipping some sections he's finished, and completing some areas he hasn't touched.

Yeah, I've kind of gotten that feeling. I have wandered into a couple of areas that I clearly shouldn't have been yet and when I was looking through Jeff's videos to see the spot where I should stop watching until I progress, I noticed he spent two episodes in one of those areas long before he got to where I am now.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
People actually care that someone "spoiled" that scene in Hotline Miami 2? Hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom