• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
I'm sure CBS has the funds, but I can't imagine they would want to own a third gaming site. Of course, stranger things have happened (like them buying GB).

They have a third site now, that new eSports site they launched w/ Cyborgmatt and others.

popo

They just finished dissolving the Gamespot UK and AU brands - gutting the staff and merging them all under the Gamespot name. They are not going to buy some random UK site.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
They just finished dissolving the Gamespot UK and AU brands - gutting the staff and merging them all under the Gamespot name. They are not going to buy some random UK site.

Oh wow, I actually wasn't aware of that. I just recall Jeff saying, maybe on a Jar Time, that he'ed like to have international branches of GiantBomb some day.

popo

Oh wow, I actually wasn't aware of that. I just recall Jeff saying, maybe on a Jar Time, that he'ed like to have international branches of GiantBomb some day.

You can't fault his ambition. With a site as small as GB that would be better served by just hiring a freelance writer in the UK and add that content to the main site. IGN having separate reviews and scores for UK and AU always seemed like the craziest thing ever and I never liked that, if I went to Gamespot, that all the UK content would be prioritised.

So they will restart these brands again in another 3-4 years, pretty sure they did this dance before.

frostyxc

Who is gonna be the editor who covers Antarctica?

My ice skating isn't as fresh as it once was, but I'm THE champion in the Emperor Penguin Flipper Wrestling League (JAMROCK for short). I told those dopes that I was a little blue penguin on vaycay from Invercargill and they bought it! You wouldn't believe the belt I won--it was made out of Taco Bell wrappers and the tears of defeat.

Uh...

What I MEAN is: Yes, I'd be up for the position.

tm24

Things i learned in Spelunkin With Scoops
  • I can pick up chest
  • I can pick up rats
  • Rat arrow shields
  • Walk into spikes

I really need to up my game

There goes Patrick again assuming the worst. Hurr durr Sony wouldn't confirm that's not good! Yeah just like them not confirming DRM meant it was in right? Fuck sakes.

Xater

Things i learned in Spelunkin With Scoops
  • I can pick up chest
  • I can pick up rats
  • Rat arrow shields
  • Walk into spikes

I really need to up my game

That!

I never got that far. The ice levels are the furthest I have ever gotten, but I still think Spelunky is a great game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's too bad. I actually liked the Gamespot Asia podcast, since it's interesting to hear an Asian perspective on game releases, but I guess they just assume everyone around the world is just fine with American coverage.

Patrick is making me want Spelunky now after I avoided the game during the Steam / PSN sales.over Xmas.

I think I understand the Patrick Haters now. He's a horrible person!

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Let me tell you guys the simple process to beating Spelunky.

Beating Spelunky
1. Get the jetpack
2. Beat Spelunky

Beating Spelunky (nuanced version)
1. Get the jetpack
2. Also get the shotgun
3. Beat Spelunky

Almost installed DOTA 2 today to give that a shot. Luckily I clicked on a random Daily Dota before that and 15 minutes was enough to remind me how that's a bad idea. Thanks Brad!

BanGy.nz

Banned
Almost installed DOTA 2 today to give that a shot. Luckily I clicked on a random Daily Dota before that and 15 minutes was enough to remind me how that's a bad idea. Thanks Brad!

Join us... We have a donkey that can fly and bring you items, the little bastard has wings and can boost it's brilliant.

inky

To be fair, that's a conclusion many (me included) would jump to as well. I thought it was something more out there really.

mattp

yeah, you guys are jumping down his throat for no reason
this is probably going to be an separate subscription
my guess is there will be a discount if you have ps plus, though

inky

I was referring to the article where he states it needs a subscription and then you rent in addition to the sub. Which is batshit.

It won't be included in the cost of Plus.

Maybe you read that wrong? You can subscribe, or rent on a per title basis if you don't (is my guess).

I was referring to the article where he states it needs a subscription and then you rent in addition to the sub. Which is batshit.

It won't be included in the cost of Plus.

He doesn't even state that it needs a subscription, he just says that "it seems likely", and far from batshit, that's honestly one of the few likely scenarios for Playstation Now.
1. PNow service is included with PS+.
2. PNow is it's own subscription service separate from PS+.

There's an obvious benefit to get more people on PS+, but there is the potential that a simple PS+ subscription is not enough for Sony to cover game discounts, free monthly games, online PS4 play, AND a PNow subscription.

Plus they may want to get people to use PNow who don't own PS3, Vita, or PS4 (because of the tablet, phone, and TV market), so a subscription that's seperate from PS+ may make sense for those customers.

popo

Spookin cancelled, since he can't use CBS in-house streaming out of the office and twitch dropped passwords. I would have done it live on twitch and just had the archive premium - but that is just me.

I think the fact that nobody is willing to pay for that (as in established publications) is the worst thing about this whole affair.

so this discussion about died out, but i just caught up on it and i find the entire thing to be pretty unseemly. why should any publication willingly want to front the cost of sending a journalist abroad to cover what is -- by the journalist themselves -- "un-pitchable" ideas? the kind of coverage cara ellison talks about on her donation page is already being worked on by a LEGION of games writers on the internet, and almost all of them are doing it or spent time doing it for free.

if she's upset at the lack of a venue for the kind of writing she wants to pursue (i.e. - start a tumblr), she needs to work on creating it for herself; not crowd-sourcing a paycheck. i'm not even going to touch on how absurdly overwrought and needlessly flowery her language is in the description for her endeavor.

obviously the "system" of games writing is broken. true, in-depth gaming journalism isn't rewarded because it doesn't make any money. there's no opportunity for a media buy-in or cross promotion or an assured increase in site traffic. this sucks because it means a lot of really interesting ideas, concepts, analysis, and personal stories go untold and un-voiced. but soliciting money directly from readers because you want to go to Japan and hob-knob with developers is not the right way to do it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Spookin cancelled, since he can't use CBS in-house streaming out of the office and twitch dropped passwords. I would have done it live on twitch and just had the archive premium - but that is just me.

They should just do that anyways. Saves bandwidth and really how many people watch them live?

obonicus

if she's upset at the lack of a venue for the kind of writing she wants to pursue (i.e. - start a tumblr), she needs to work on creating it for herself; not crowd-sourcing a paycheck. i'm not even going to touch on how absurdly overwrought and needlessly flowery her language is in the description for her endeavor.

So she should do it for free, rather than try and get paid for it? I don't understand why she shouldn't try to crowd-source her writing. I mean, the interest's there, clearly -- she got funded.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Did I read somewhere in here that there might be a membership sale in January? I want to re-up but do not need a t-shirt.

Xater

I'm a subscribe and I agree. I'd rather just have him do it that way than not at all.

Let me tell you guys the simple process to beating Spelunky.

Beating Spelunky
1. Get the jetpack
2. Die horribly via jet-pack related antics.

Beating Spelunky (nuanced version)
1. Get the jetpack
2. Also get the shotgun
3. Die horribly from both jetpack and shotty related antics.

FTFY.

Edit: Teleporters? Scoops, you madman! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom