• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMoth

After watching Jeff Green's stream I am astonished at how quickly Patrick has picked up Dark Souls combat. Can't believe he beat Capra in one, took me like 20 attempts first time through lol

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
We've known that since he slayed the Rogue Legacy boss.

After watching Jeff Green's stream I am astonished at how quickly Patrick has picked up Dark Souls combat. Can't believe he beat Capra in one, took me like 20 attempts first time through lol

I don't know where the second dog was when Patrick entered that fight, but every time I've fought the Capra demon (probably more than a dozen times not including retries) I immediately get pinned by the two dogs and get fucked.

Fuck patrick, man. I've had spelunky on the Vita for weeks and I get to the Jungle 1 out of every 7/8 tries, I've got ~160 deaths, motherfucker knows half of what I know and he gets to Olmec like he just finished 1-1. Spent 3 hours yesterday playing the game just so that I wouldn't feel as ashamed of my spelunky skills as much. Those mines will be the death of me.

I enjoy watching Dark Souls as much as the next guy, but between the active speedrunning community, Jeff Green's master class, the other GB guys streaming Dark Souls, and Dark Souls always having at least one stream going on twitch... isn't there enough for now? I wish he picked something different. I could use more Demons Souls streams in my life. But I assume he doesn't have that capability

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I enjoy watching Dark Souls as much as the next guy, but between the active speedrunning community, Jeff Green's master class, the other GB guys streaming Dark Souls, and Dark Souls always having at least one stream going on twitch... isn't there enough for now? I wish he picked something different. I could use more Demons Souls streams in my life. But I assume he doesn't have that capability

Like he's said though, it's not site content. He's playing it because he wants to play Dark Souls 2 when it releases and only streaming because why not.

demidar

The more we can tone down the perception that Dark Souls is omgwtfhard, the better. Seriously, the game's not that hard and its difficulty is overblown such that it makes people apprehensive to play it.

It is not site content and scoops is not streaming all of his progress whats the problem with that? He wants to get ready for DS2.

Brashnir

I don't know where the second dog was when Patrick entered that fight, but every time I've fought the Capra demon (probably more than a dozen times not including retries) I immediately get pinned by the two dogs and get fucked.

Yeah, he got lucky that when he got hit early in the fight, one of the dogs decided to randomly run away, and the other one just stood there and didn't attack. Even after that, they mostly just stood and looked at him, even when he was standing in front of both drinking a flask.

To his credit though, he did figure out that the best way to split them up was to use the stairs to fuck up their pathing.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
AUUUGHGHUHUAHGUHAGUHAGHUGHUHH.

I just realized that since my membership just lapsed, I won't be able to wacth the LAST Load our Last Souls and right now all my money is going into my student loans. (Legitimately all of my money. Flat god damn broke.)

Wow, this totally sucks so hard. Fuck.

Patryn

I beat Capra on my first try. I think it's just a matter of not getting shell shocked and pausing to get hit right away. Then just pick wisely and retreat up the stairs. If you can just get at the top of the stairs and make the dogs and Capra come at you single-file, it's not a super hard fight.

Zornack

Looks like his time with Monster Hunter paid off. Animation priority and all that.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think Rogue Legacy is a pretty good game and it doesn't scale the enemies to such a level that makes it prohibitively hard.

demidar

IMO the game is so easy that it's not a problem at all.

I think it's easy as well, but I should not be using myself as a barometer for player skill since I play and enjoy many very difficult games. Regardless, it is still a design flaw and world leveling is lazy game design 99% of the time (in fact I don't know of any game that was made better with world leveling).

I really enjoy Patrick's Spelunky run. He is not super-expert pro and talks through his thought process. I enjoy his success as much as his horrible horrible runs.

popo

I beat Capra on my first try. I think it's just a matter of not getting shell shocked and pausing to get hit right away. Then just pick wisely and retreat up the stairs. If you can just get at the top of the stairs and make the dogs and Capra come at you single-file, it's not a super hard fight.

Just guessing but it could be that he has seen or heard about that boss before. It is a well discussed Boss fight early o in the game. I think, as you say, most people die at least once because they are on you as soon as you go though the door. Ambush style.

eot

Banned

It also helps that he had a good amount of poise, plus he's fairly good at stamina management.

Patryn

Just guessing but it could be that he has seen or heard about that boss before. It is a well discussed Boss fight early o in the game. I think, as you say, most people die at least once because they are on you as soon as you go though the door. Ambush style.

Yeah, the Capra fight is basically determined by the first 5 seconds after you enter the door.

Visceir

At this point I'm pretty sure he has seen other people stream Dark Souls and knows most of the strategies and what to do/where to go. Obviously he is playing clueless like he is experiencing it all for the first time, but for example he knew that the butchers down in the depths were female, not male.

Dark Souls is fairly easy if you know what to expect, especially when you cheese everything with pyromancy.

It's a fair tactic though and I'm glad he does play the game and gets to experience it first hand.

And his combat and reaction skills definitely are better than Jeff's. Should still practice those ripostes and backstabs for easier progression later on with tougher enemies.

Serra

I actually have preferred watching Patrick play Dark Souls to Jeff Green. He's got those young-man gaming skills.

The reason the Black Dragon is entertaining is he makes me feel bad about my life choices that actually led to me watching his stream instead of doing something productive with my life.

Kerned

Banned
At this point I'm pretty sure he has seen other people stream Dark Souls and knows most of the strategies and what to do/where to go. Obviously he is playing clueless like he is experiencing it all for the first time, but for example he knew that the butchers down in the depths were female, not male.

I'm enjoying his streams so far but this really does bother me. It'd be more enjoyable if he were more up front about what he knows instead of being coy and trying to feign ignorance. I noticed the butcher thing too, but I was wondering if I was reading too much into it. I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that it seemed odd.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

You're reading too much into it. I'm sure Patrick is just a secret sexist and assumed the person preparing food was a woman.

Visceir

You're reading too much into it. I'm sure Patrick is just a secret sexist and assumed the person preparing food was a woman.

You're just joking but it does kinda show in how he plays and how he acts that hes already somewhat familiar with the things. The butcher thing was just one of the more obvious giveaways.

I was much the same myself. I had watched plenty of dark souls streams before I ever got around to playing it myself, by the time I was somewhat aware already how to beat certain bosses and where to head next.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
We just need to wait a few more years and the cynicism and hatred will set in and then we won't have to suffer through Patrick's enthusiasm and excitement. Just a fewwww more years. Its like when you have a kitten and you're just waiting for her to get old and weak and upset so she sits in your lap all day.

pirata

Errr...I just used one of those PAX codes to buy a subscription, since mine had just run out, but I'm still not a premium member. Does it take time to upgrade? Did something go wrong?

EDIT: OK, I just saw that they have to update it manually. I thought it meant that only for people using Paypal.

ArjanN

I'm sure he's actually not pretending, he already mentions during the stream he's seen people play some parts and I'm sure he's heard stuff on twitter etc, but without context that doesn't really mean that much. In fact I'm surprised there's so much stuff he doesn't know, I'd expected him to actually be more spoiled on stuff.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Requesting: Encyclopedia Bombastica Viewtiful Joe.

I'll set a 500gig bounty for Jeff
and 250gigs for either Patrick or Alex.

ev0

Errr...I just used one of those PAX codes to buy a subscription, since mine had just run out, but I'm still not a premium member. Does it take time to upgrade? Did something go wrong?

EDIT: OK, I just saw that they have to update it manually. I thought it meant that only for people using Paypal.

I used a PAX code a month ago (DEC 9), and I've been able to watch all Premium stuff, but upon trying to watch LOLs right now I'm all the sudden a free member again.

Is it support@giantbomb.com we're supposed to bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom