• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Things i learned in Spelunkin With Scoops
  • I can pick up chest
  • I can pick up rats
  • Rat arrow shields
  • Walk into spikes

I really need to up my game

If you have the cape you can safely glide down onto spikes without dying.

It was a total game changer for me.

Jintor

They just finished dissolving the Gamespot UK and AU brands - gutting the staff and merging them all under the Gamespot name. They are not going to buy some random UK site.

The brands are gone, but at least they kept the staff. My friend's now the editor of Gamespot Australia!

So she should do it for free, rather than try and get paid for it? I don't understand why she shouldn't try to crowd-source her writing. I mean, the interest's there, clearly -- she got funded.

i have a problem with her placing a value on her opinion over that of other just as capable but entirely less visible witters and (by way of omission) acting as though she is the only one who can and wants to produce this kind of coverage. if she wants to see this kind of journalism and make a valid, profitable space for it to exist, she ought to start producing it free of charge to a) prove that she is capable and b) open doors for others who are already producing this type of work so as to create a larger, more cohesive community for it to exist in.

as it stands it reads like "nobody else has thought of this, give me money" when that isn't true whatsoever.

Jintor

i have a problem with her placing a value on her opinion over that of other just as capable but entirely less visible witters and (by way of omission) acting as though she is the only one who can and wants to produce this kind of coverage. if she wants to see this kind of journalism and make a valid, profitable space for it to exist, she ought to start producing it free of charge to a) prove that she is capable and b) open doors for others who are already producing this type of work so as to create a larger, more cohesive community for it to exist in.

ahhahahahahahahaha get out

i've had enough of 'what do you get out of this work? ...visibility!' for one lifetime, thanks

as it stands it reads like "nobody else has thought of this, give me money" when that isn't true whatsoever.

As someone who's done the "work for exposure" dance far too many times in life, no.

i feel like you should do your job for free

just to show that you can

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Things i learned in Spelunkin With Scoops
  • I can pick up chest
  • I can pick up rats
  • Rat arrow shields
  • Walk into spikes

I really need to up my game

Just so you don't run off and get confused and dead, he was mistaken about the shoes. The spike shoes don't affect whether you can walk on spikes. They do have an environmental advantage, but you can always walk on spikes. Also what the chat said about damaging larger enemies applies to spike, not spring, shoes.

I'm sure the chat was freaking right the hell out about those things. Hopefully Patrick continues to ignore them.

tm24

Just so you don't run off and get confused and dead, he was mistaken about the shoes. The spike shoes don't affect whether you can walk on spikes. They do have an environmental advantage, but you can always walk on spikes. Also what the chat said about damaging larger enemies applies to spike, not spring, shoes.

I'm sure the chat was freaking right the hell out about those things. Hopefully Patrick continues to ignore them.

I didnt even catch that about spike shoes, so no worries there. Also realized that when he talked about damaging enemies that he meant spike, not spring

That Halo game may have been the most boring game I've ever seen the guys play. You'd think MS would want to take a little more care of what has to still be their biggest IP. And those egregious microtransactions. Microsoft has really embraced that new revenue stream. Fuck.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You have a problem with her placing value on her opinion? She's a writer! She literally feeds herself expressing her opinion. You're just morally outraged by her career choice? Is Cara Ellison somehow privileged compared to these "less visible writers?" Has she not earned her visibility? (Did she steal it from them?!) Surely you must feel she doesn't deserve the credit she's amassed over the last 2 years or so if you're so peeved she wants to be paid for what looks to be an incredibly ambitious and risky project. Its just not enough for you that she's risking her credibility on a crowdsourced initiative to do something really interesting. You think she should do it for free "because she hasn't proven herself capable yet?"

tsk tsk. sir. tsk tsk. You've joined some unseemly company.

Zaph

That Halo game may have been the most boring game I've ever seen the guys play. You'd think MS would want to take a little more care of what has to still be their biggest IP. And those egregious microtransactions. Microsoft has really embraced that new revenue stream. Fuck.
Just like with Metro UI, Microsoft struggles to grasp what trends need to stay on mobile and away from desktop/console.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Bout time Brad got back on the Volgarr horse.

I've fallen off too. I'm on the zombie level and I've kinda fallen off. Volgarr is amazing and probably my favorite title released in the last 6 months, but its pretty undynamic compared to rogue legacy and spelunky. Which is by design, obviously but you need to be in a specific groove and mindset to dive deep in Volgarr. Since its entirely memory based its like learning a song or something and then you play it through perfectly once and time to move onto the next one.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
LOL...new Premium video on Tested... It's the Michael Bay "breakdown video". What an amazing piece of premium content! A clip already available everywhere on the web about yesterday's news!

I linked to TMZ's video of the Breakdown in the comments on that video.

I don't have premium but I assume that the video is just their opinions on it?

Megasoum

Banned

Hahahaha nicely done.

Yeah sounds like it's exactly like the GB E3 round up videos with a lot less content and with people from other sites cause they can't do it just the two of them by themselves.

popo

The brands are gone, but at least they kept the staff. My friend's now the editor of Gamespot Australia!

Good to hear. I know GS UK lost a good portion of it's staff - but I don't know that they were actually laid off, could have left on their own.

I think it is footage Norm shot from the event - but yeah, it is the same material that is everywhere.

demidar

I've fallen off too. I'm on the zombie level and I've kinda fallen off. Volgarr is amazing and probably my favorite title released in the last 6 months, but its pretty undynamic compared to rogue legacy and spelunky. Which is by design, obviously but you need to be in a specific groove and mindset to dive deep in Volgarr. Since its entirely memory based its like learning a song or something and then you play it through perfectly once and time to move onto the next one.

Yeah, the game is pretty much static. All the enemies are place in the same position every time and it's up to the player to figure out how to get past, kind of like Dark Souls. I think it's a way better game than Rogue Legacy (Spelunky is better though) because the developers selected a design philosophy and stuck with it completely throughout, so the game is very pure in terms of game design as the entire game is constructed and balanced around the player's simple yet multifunctional moveset. Of course, once you've beaten the game on hard mode (like I did) you can do so again and again with ease. I can pick it up and completely demolish the game even though I haven't played it in months.

obonicus

i have a problem with her placing a value on her opinion over that of other just as capable but entirely less visible witters

Do you have someone specific in mind here? It's not like Cara Ellison is a household name. I mean, this whole conversation started because someone got her confused for someone else.

Others have mentioned that the 'do this for free' approach isn't really feasible. It doesn't even make sense; how would giving that sort of content for free prove that it could be done for a livable wage? If you want proof that this sort of content can be created for a livable wage -- well, this Patreon thing seems to be that proof. The writer establishes what would livable/feasible for them and people give money if they happen to agree with the project.

So you think she's implicitly making false claims about her project, and thus tricking her patrons? Shouldn't it behoove you to give her patrons the benefit of the doubt and assume that they want to hear from her specifically?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The fact that you can fuck yourself up by misallocating skill points due to world leveling throws that idea out the window.

There are certain builds that can make things harder, but that usually means that you have to dodge better and hit more. It's like saying that it's a game design fault that you can fuck yourself over by putting every skill point in rresistance in dark souls.

sixghost

I don't get how everything you said doesn't apply to rogue legacy.
I think Rogue Legacy is lesser than the sum of its parts. It doesn't have the tension of a good roguelike, and it doesn't have the feeling of mastery like Volgarr. It's like the Mass Effect 1 of its two genres.

Antiwhippy

I think Rogue Legacy is lesser than the sum of its parts. It doesn't have the tension of a good roguelike, and it doesn't have the feeling of mastery like Volgarr. It's like the Mass Effect 1 of its two genres.

It's nowhere as hard as volgarr, but there is definitely an aspect of mastery to it. It's not absolutely random in that every room is already prebuilt, just in random locations, and there is definitely some aspects of mastery to it like figuring out the platforming sequences and the various boss rooms, not to mention the challenge rooms.

Also I don't get the comparison with volgarr anyway. They're both going for very different things.

demidar

There are certain builds that can make things harder, but that usually means that you have to dodge better and hit more. It's like saying that it's a game design fault that you can fuck yourself over by putting every skill point in rresistance in dark souls.

Uhh, Resistance in Dark Souls being so useless IS a design flaw. It should either be buffed for Dark Souls 2 or completely removed/pertinent effects moved to equipment. Why would a person know Resistance is useless without someone telling them it is? You can't even get those points back. Same thing in Rogue Legacy, the game doesn't allow you to take those points back so the only recourse is to start again. The difference is that Dark Souls still allows people to get through the game even if they wasted points on Resistance because the game doesn't level the world, and you can grow your character in other meaningful ways.

Antiwhippy

Uhh, Resistance in Dark Souls being so useless IS a design flaw. It should either be buffed for Dark Souls 2 or completely removed/pertinent effects moved to equipment. Why would a person know Resistance is useless without someone telling them it is? You can't even get those points back. Same thing in Rogue Legacy, e game doesn't allow you to take those points back so the only recourse is to start again. The difference is that Dark Souls still allows people to get through the game even if they wasted points on Resistance because the game doesn't level the world, and you can grow your character in other meaningful ways.

I might be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure the resistance stat tells you what it does in game.

Also I might be misunderstanding what you mean by world leveling with you. I thought you meant that upgrade costs go up for everything you upgrade which is definitely a dark souls thing too. But it's not like it is insanely hard to grind intrigue legacy anyway, because it definitely isn't. Also there are zero death runs in rogue legacy (meaning no upgrades) so it's not like upgrades are that crucial, especially for worlds 1 and 2. You make it sound like the upgrade path is incredibly strict in how you have to invest or you'll never make be able to make any progress which it definitely isn't.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I might be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure the resistance stat tells you what it does in game.

Also I might be misunderstanding what you mean by world leveling with you. I thought you meant that upgrade costs go up for everything you upgrade which is definitely a dark souls thing too. But it's not like it is insanely hard to grind intrigue legacy anyway, because it definitely isn't. Also there are zero death runs in rogue legacy (meaning no upgrades) so it's not like upgrades are that crucial, especially for worlds 1 and 2. You make it sound like the upgrade path is incredibly strict in how you have to invest or you'll never make be able to make any progress which it definitely isn't.

If we're being realistic though, the vast majority of people will need to upgrade in order to beat the game.

The people who can beat it without upgrading have spent a LOT of time with the game, far beyond the average player.

A no-leveling run is certainly not the norm.

Antiwhippy

I know, I'm not saying that I expect people to do no level runs, but the game in its very fundamentals won't fuck you up enough to not be able to progress. The skill tree makes things easier for you and helps tailor what platstyle you like but when I died it hinged more on me not knowing the enemy pattern and world hazards than anything skill tree related.

demidar

The more levels you buy at the castle, the higher level enemies become in the dungeon. If you put points in useless/non-efficient stats, the dungeon enemies will get more powerful while you remain at the same power level and also you just inflated the cost of the next upgrade.

Also Dark Souls does tell you what Resistance does, it's just it's effects are dwarfed by equipment, and other stat points are far more useful, not to mention it is viable to run a glass cannon build by being good enough to not be hit (and the game supports that playstyle).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I know, I'm not saying that I expect people to do no level runs, but the game in its very fundamentals won't fuck you up enough to not be able to progress. The skill tree makes things easier for you and helps tailor what platstyle you like but when I died it hinged more on me not knowing the enemy pattern and world hazards than anything skill tree related.

Yeah I agree with this in that at a certain point, you can always get good enough to handle the situation.

It's seems like a significantly less fun game in that case (at least for me) but it's absolutely doable without leveling. With enough skill you could adapt to pretty much anything.

sixghost

I just don't think the randomly generated heir thing works well with the upgrade system. It would be one thing if a mage was a mage no matter what, but I barely put any points into upgrading the mage stuff, so anytime I got a mage in my choice of 3, it was like a wasted space. Also, I put a ton of points into crit chance and crit damage, then unlocked the ninja class which isn't even able to crit, it was like another wasted space every time it came up. Near the end of the game I basically died as quickly as possible if I didn't get a barbarian queen or assassin because those two classes were by so far the most effective.

Antiwhippy

The more levels you buy at the castle, the higher level enemies become in the dungeon. If you put points in useless/non-efficient stats, the dungeon enemies will get more powerful while you remain at the same power level and also you just inflated the cost of the next upgrade.

That's definitely true, but most of the time you have to learn how to avoid the attack patterns anyway, and after that every enemy becomes more or less manageable.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I listened to one of Jeff's mixlr casts, and it made me wonder how many people here listen to every one his broadcasts. It seems like such a dry thing that it was funny picturing people caring about the next one dropping.

ArjanN

The more levels you buy at the castle, the higher level enemies become in the dungeon. If you put points in useless/non-efficient stats, the dungeon enemies will get more powerful while you remain at the same power level and also you just inflated the cost of the next upgrade..

While this is true, IMO Rogue Legacy isn't hard enough that this matters all that much. Even if you'd pick all the 'wrong' upgrades first, it's still not that hard to get enough gold to get the rest of the upgrades eventually.

Haunted

Really enjoying Spelunkin' with Scoops.

With Shoemaker falling behind in Daily Dota, Klepek continues to be the MVP of GB video content.

demidar

While this is true, IMO Rogue Legacy isn't hard enough that this matters all that much. Even if you'd pick all the 'wrong' upgrades first, it's still not that hard to get enough gold to get the rest of the upgrades eventually.

It's still counter-intuitive with no warning given to the player, a flaw in the design of progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom